in ffa net play, how does difficulty level affect things?

Talk about anything here.
princepawn-gru

in ffa net play, how does difficulty level affect things?

Post by princepawn-gru »

how do the different difficulty levels (normal, legendary, timid, simple, etc) affect a game like CTF Gimble when played on playmyth?

-- that example was hypothetical of course :wink:
Tireces

Post by Tireces »

I guess it doesnt affect multi gameplay in any way - at least in reg maps that came with Myth 2 cd - of course it can be changed by scripts f.e. higher difficulty levels can add units or change units types , add more flags on map etc. etc.
"As long as a single one of us stands..."
Zeph

Post by Zeph »

princepawn-gru

Post by princepawn-gru »

that is for solo/coop maps... it has nothing to say about ffa play.
PrplPplEater

Post by PrplPplEater »

Tireces wrote:I guess it doesnt affect multi gameplay in any way - at least in reg maps that came with Myth 2 cd - of course it can be changed by scripts f.e. higher difficulty levels can add units or change units types , add more flags on map etc. etc.

I seem to recall that there were a number of maps that had the units available altered by the difficulty settings.... e.g. I believe in TFL - Mudpit Massacre (Dark) had no ability to trade for Trow if it was set to Normal or lower. I'm not even sure that that is accurrate, but my brain tells me that it recalls it being the case :p
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

PrplPplEater wrote:
Tireces wrote:I guess it doesnt affect multi gameplay in any way - at least in reg maps that came with Myth 2 cd - of course it can be changed by scripts f.e. higher difficulty levels can add units or change units types , add more flags on map etc. etc.

I seem to recall that there were a number of maps that had the units available altered by the difficulty settings.... e.g. I believe in TFL - Mudpit Massacre (Dark) had no ability to trade for Trow if it was set to Normal or lower. I'm not even sure that that is accurrate, but my brain tells me that it recalls it being the case :p
Yeah when you assign a unit to a map there is a minimum-level field that sets the difficulty level a certain unit is available at (so maps can have more units the higher the difficulty), but that effects only the starting units on a map - it doesn't really effect "gameplay" per se. (e.g. The vitality, or strength, or attack speed/accuracy of player or enemy units isn't altered as it in solo/coop play when you change the difficulty)
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.
Frumius

Post by Frumius »

Yes, difficulty level can affect unit sets and numbers of balls and flags on multiplayer maps.

Some specific maps have other differences. For instance, on "Leagues from Nowhere," (a Bungie map) when the difficulty level is set to Legendary each starting spot receives 4 mortars that, when ghols pick them up and throw them, 'splode quite beautifully.

Also on "Leagues from Nowhere," if you're the only guy who knows this, you can send your extra ghols around to pick up the unused morts of Newbies! Then splode the newbies! Who0T! (it teaches them valuable lessons, and is very fun!) I used to h00r that map when it was new (when m2 was new, whoa, what a concept)!
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Frumius wrote:Yes, difficulty level can affect unit sets and numbers of balls and flags on multiplayer maps.
Right. I guess "gameplay" means different things to different people, I was thinking of the more intangible things like physics and unit speed and stamina and the like. There are a great many things that can be controlled by difficulty level, but without scripting they change the setup of a ffa game, but don't change how units interact with each other or the world around them. (of course I could be wrong about this, sweeping generalizations are often wrong)
Frumius wrote: I used to h00r that map when it was new (when m2 was new, whoa, what a concept)!
BLASPHEMER! M2 was NEVER "new", after creating everything else in the first 6 days, God saved his best work for last. M2 was created on the 7th day and thus was God's first perfect creation. (ok, other than the windows "Uninstall Myth II" Hard Drive erasure "bug" which I still say shows God is a Mac fan with dark sense of humor)
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.