What do the difficulty levels in Myth affect ?

Talk about anything here.
RPatrick

What do the difficulty levels in Myth affect ?

Post by RPatrick »

I have always played Myth with normal difficulty.

Do the difficulty levels in Myth affect just the number of enemies, or do they modify the strength and abilities of the units (less attack range, slower, less health, etc.) ? Does that go for 3rd party solos as well ?
Archer

Post by Archer »

They affect how cool you are. For example, since you're a normal-difficulty player, we all get to look down on you now.

~J

(Seriously, I believe it's just number of enemies. Third-party solos can do pretty much whatever they want with the difficulty levels, as you can see in Mazz VI, which varies enemy attack speed, friendly health, friendly unitcount, enemy quantity, initial inventory, etc.)
Failure: when your best just isn't good enough.
Gamer

Post by Gamer »

When you open a map with Loathing, you can see that the enemys have different colours, because some of them appear only if you choose a certain difficulty.
gugusm

Post by gugusm »

Heroic and Legendary are just the same as Normal, but have more enemies. Timid and Simple usually have the same amount of enemies as Normal, but there is a difference. I asked it once, here's that topic, look at it, there is an explanation:
http://projectmagma.net/forum/viewtopic ... difference
RPatrick

Post by RPatrick »

Thanks for the replys and the great link.

I've always avoided the higher levels because I thought my units' performance would be crippled. It is good to know that is not the case. I love the way Bungie handled the difficulty levels. It certainly adds to the replayability too !

Now I am gonna be cool like the rest of you !

Thanks !
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

It could be my imagination, or a function of how much more I want every single bottle to explode when I am playing on legendary, but I swear when I play on legendary difficulty that dorf bottles are less likely to explode.
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.
Enculator

Post by Enculator »

1/10 bottles duds.
Once, both my dorf bottles didnt explode (0.1*0.1), then my dorf shot again and duded too (0.1*0.1*0.1 = 0.001 odds).
Some days, luck sucks !
Gjallarhorn

Post by Gjallarhorn »

Enculator wrote:1/10 bottles duds.
Once, both my dorf bottles didnt explode (0.1*0.1), then my dorf shot again and duded too (0.1*0.1*0.1 = 0.001 odds).
Some days, luck sucks !
Or rain.
Enculator

Post by Enculator »

it was a sunny day :)
Frumius

Post by Frumius »

Difficulty levels might mean all kinds of things on multiplayer maps. On Leagues from Nowhere on Legendary you get exploding morts for the ghols to pick up; other maps it might be number or type of units you get; other times might give you more flags or balls for flag or ball games, etc.
Enculator wrote:1/10 bottles duds.
Some days, luck sucks !
Really? You gotta throw 1000 times to get three duds in a row? Seems like it happens all the time. Or so.
Enculator

Post by Enculator »

Well, that's what the file at http://hl.udogs.net/files/Gaming/%20Myt ... _stats.zip
says !
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

ah, but you're assuming that dice has a memory, when in fact each time you roll it you're just as likely to get one number as another. If you roll 6 once, there's no less chance that 6 will come up the next time, or the next...
...playing as long5hot on War Thunder
Enculator

Post by Enculator »

uhhh yeah, but since 1/10 is the odd of 1 dud, 2 duds in a row is 1/10 * 1/10 which is 1/100...
Gjallarhorn

Post by Gjallarhorn »

Enculator wrote:uhhh yeah, but since 1/10 is the odd of 1 dud, 2 duds in a row is 1/10 * 1/10 which is 1/100...
That's true, it's the average chance of getting a dud in theory, but sometimes it happens you throw 20 cocktails and 3 explode, it's still average.

What's the chance of a dud in heavy rain?
Archer

Post by Archer »

There's no average about it—the chance of getting three duds in a row with a 1/10 chance of dudding is 1/1000, exactly. For a number of trials that isn't infinite, the average occurrence will probably not be 1/1000 (though it will approach it as trials increase).

~J
Failure: when your best just isn't good enough.