A few ideas for a future patch...

Talk about anything here.
Sectus

Post by Sectus »

After playing some more coop I realized there's a few minor things which would be really neat to have. Most of these should be very easy to implement as well.

-A suicide button for the host. There's times I start a coop game on Legendary but something bad happens early, like a dwarf accidently killing lots of friendlies. In these cases, we have to get all of our units killed so we can restart. We could quit the game and create the game from scratch, but then we'd lose all our veterans. So an option that the host could at any time make it game over would be nice. For the extra touch, the suicide button could be made ala the one in Lemmings :p
-Whether I complete or fail a mission in coop mode it says GAME OVER. Why not make it say Mission Completed if it was a complete? In some a few cases it's nice to be able to confirm whether or not it was a loss or fail, but how things work right now it's impossible to confirm right away
-The information showed at the end of a coop match really isn't all that useful. Those percentages aren't all that informing, why not replace them with information about how many kills or casaulties each player got? Would better than nothing. (of course, in my opinion the ideal solution would be what I suggested in another thread, make some kind of new score mode, and show the final score at the end)
-Playing all the way through Myth 1 or 2 in coop is great, but there's one big disadvantage. Each time the server is taken down, all the veterans are lost. And it would have been great to keep all the veterans from start to end without playing *everything* in one sitting. This would require a bit of work though, since the only way to fix this would be an option to save veterans before closing the server, and then load those veterans when the server is up again. But well, would be neat.
-I recently got some nasty problems with my graphics card lately so I've been forced to play in software mode, which isn't really all that bad. I like the filtering done on the terrain, but there's one thing which annoys me. Each time I rotate or move the camera the filtering is temporarily turned off. This is annoying and pointless, if I had a 486 I would have understood why, but with my Athlon 3000+ I see no reason why this should happen. An option to make the filtering persistent would be really nice. This would be darn easy to implement as well.

Hope some of these will be considered.
Archer

Post by Archer »

Problem with a suicide button is that if your units die, you lose your veterans anyway.

~J
Failure: when your best just isn't good enough.
Baron LeDant

Post by Baron LeDant »

Er... no you don't, you only lose vets if someone new joins the game. If the level is lost, you have the same vets as you had the previous attempt
I wear a plastic ass on my bag ~ Da Cheeze
Archer

Post by Archer »

Are you sure about that?

~J
Sectus

Post by Sectus »

I'm very certain that if a mission is lost the normal way then the veteran status for your units is unchanged. That the veterans are lost whenever someone joins the game is something I didn't know though, are you sure it works like that?
Archer

Post by Archer »

Yes, whenever the playerlist changes veterans are wiped. I'd thought that veterans otherwise worked like with single-player; I guess that's incorrect.

~J
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

Good ideas, but unfortunately those are all on a per-level basis...which means editing tags within myth, editing mesh tags (very large dl for an update on these) to add in the script line required for a 'Suicide' is illogical...it would be 50 or 60 megs to dl the patch rather than the large 16 it is now. As for changing 'Game Lost/Game Won' this can be done more easily with string lists, however, again, on a per-mesh basis....easy to do, but not logical enough for most of the community to make it worth it...plus at this point I think no more 'features' are being added....none have been for several weeks now. Good ideas, but likely it wont happen....Mind you, I cant speak for the programmers....I'm not in their lot :)
Sectus

Post by Sectus »

Graydon wrote:Good ideas, but unfortunately those are all on a per-level basis...which means editing tags within myth, editing mesh tags (very large dl for an update on these) to add in the script line required for a 'Suicide' is illogical...it would be 50 or 60 megs to dl the patch rather than the large 16 it is now. As for changing 'Game Lost/Game Won' this can be done more easily with string lists, however, again, on a per-mesh basis....easy to do, but not logical enough for most of the community to make it worth it...plus at this point I think no more 'features' are being added....none have been for several weeks now. Good ideas, but likely it wont happen....Mind you, I cant speak for the programmers....I'm not in their lot :)
Are you sure it'd have to be made that way? When it comes a suicide button I don't see how level-specific scripts are needed, just make a routine which looks through all units, and blow those up which are controlled by a human player. Also that about the "game over" text, I always thought this is just something generic, and not directly defined within a level. But well, I haven't really looked into how all tags and stuff work, I just like to take logical assumptions :p

That about terrain filtering is something I'm *really* positive should be easy to fix though. I hope ProjectMagma is willing to consider it, since it is rather annoying while using software mode, and it must be heck easy to fix. Hey, they might as well get me to fix it, I'm not that bad with C :p
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Sectus, I agree with you that most of the things you suggest are good, and should be added to the game. However, the sad truth is that it is now too late for any new features for 1.5. I did manage to add the feature where it says whether a finished co-op was a victory or a defeat for the player, as a result of your post, but now that is all for the time being. We already have a GM build all done that we will likely be releasing as FC1, and no more additions can be made. Had you suggested these to us earlier (and no, suggesting them to MythDev doesn't count), the situation would most likely have been different. But, alas.

-Myrd
Project Magma

Edited By Myrd on 1085001473
Sectus

Post by Sectus »

Well, thanks for the response. Hopefully there'll be a future patch where some of these suggestions may be implemented.
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

I'm with you on that one....alas I think 1.5 is the end of Myth 2's development. So many things I thought of at the last moments prior to public beta 1 were not implemented. Multiple media types was one of the biggest ones I'm going to sorely miss having added :(

Myrd....I'd honestly pay you money. I'll send you a money order or something to code it in man....no joke. I'll donate money to Magma's cause or whatever....:: trials off hoping bribary might just work in the end ::