Myth II with wine

A forum for solving problems that might be encountered during installation, updating, or in game.
Genghis Khan

Post by Genghis Khan »

I start a new thread, as it seems that unregistered users can't reply. Well, at least I've got myth II to run under wine. It runs very well in a modern computer, just the same as in windows. Let me explain how I've done it.

I've used wine 20050310 from ubuntu, but i think a newer wine or even an older will also work. The first think is to install wine and winesetup (optional, but is a nice tool to configure wine), which in debian comes in the package winesetuptk. Then you make your configuration, winesetup default is fine. Remember to check if it has correctly detected the drives.
Then you must tweak the wine config file (~/.wine/config) for the sound to work. In the [dsound] section you must have "HardwareAcceleration" = "Emulation". I've also used wineoss.drv as sound output. Maybe others will work, maybe not. Just remember to check if artsd/esd/gstreamer is blocking your dsp ('cat /vmlinuz > /dev/dsp' will work).
Then you can install Myth II. Mount you Myth CD and go to the setup folder. Start Setup.exe with wine. When you're done, download Myth II 1.5.1 update and put the exe in one of your wine drives. Then run it with wine.
When the game is finally installed you must go to its folder and run Myth II.exe with wine. When Myth loads to the starting screen, the mouse will stick in the center. To solve this, tab out and in again (alt+tab & alt+shif+tab).
Now in preferences, if your card supports it well select OpenGL. For me, it runs fine with a nvidia, but the colour is corrupted in one i810 which doesn't support 32bits of colour. Direct3D doesn't work as well for obvious reasons. Many thanks to the guys who included OpenGL in the windows version.
When you exit Myth, the resolution will be set in something like 640*480. Use xrandr to set it back to the one you use (usually 'xrandr --size 0' will work).
Now you can enjoy playing Myth in GNU/Linux and one nice thing about it is that it doesn't need the Myth CD to be in when you play.

Hey, you admins at ProjectMagma. You may put this instructions somewere for all the Myth players who use Linux, or even better, you may try and compile Myth II with winelib until the linux port starts again. At least we will have native binaries. I think it isn't a lot of effort and winelib binaries will run at least as fine as with wine without the need to install and configure it.