Getting jinn to work - Why is it so hard?

A forum for solving problems that might be encountered during installation, updating, or in game.
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

I have been told that Jinn is amazing. But I couldn't dl it way back when it came out cuz I was still on a 56k modem at the time. Unrapping the box of Myth II: Worlds made me feel so happy.....

But it didn't work. I set up plugin patcher but the 'make patch' button or whatever it is stayted 'greyed out'. I tried numerous times. The original Jinn dev team has folded and no longer have a website so I decided to trum to the esteemed folk of Project Magma for help.

I'm on a PowerMac G3 running OS 9.1. Don't laugh I'm getting a G5 2Ghz dual processor soon.

PLEASE HELP ME
Pistol_Pete

Post by Pistol_Pete »

I was utterly unable to get Jinn to work, back when Myth II 1.3 was the most recent update. It can be fairly trick to get to run, but I can't offer you any advice. Best of luck getting tht sucker to run. And if you do, try playing on a low difficult on the first time. ;)
mauglir

Post by mauglir »

I just reinstalled Jinn on my own comp and got it to work. Here's what you have to do:

• Start with a fresh install of Myth II -- Jinn requires some patches that are totally incompatible with everything else out there. I now have two Myth II folders, one which I call Myth Jinn.

• If you're installing off one of the original Myth II CDs, you'll need to apply Bungie's last official patch (v1.3.1).

• Launch Plug-in Patcher. In the original plugin field, browse to find the "international small install" tag located in the tags folder, which is in your Myth II folder.

• In the Plug-in Patcher patch field, browse to find the patch file that is included with Jinn.

• Apply the patch and save it to your desktop or wherever you can easily find it. Do not change the file name -- it must remain "international small install".

• Place this newly created file in your Myth II tags folder, this will replace the original international small install tag.

• Put the Jinn v.1.0 file in your Myth II plugins folder.

• Put the cutscenes folder in your Myth II folder (cutscenes should be on the same level as the Myth II application).

• THROW AWAY plugin 1.3

You should now be ready to launch and play Jinn. Please also note the following:

• Jinn will probably not work with versions 1.4 or 1.5 of Myth II.

• I could not get Jinn to work unless I booted directly into OS9, simply running OS9 in the background didn't cut it.

• Because Jinn was made to run on version 1.3 of Myth II, you will not be able to play on PlayMyth.net -- if you want to do multi-player you'll have to do TCP/IP or maybe Marius.net

Is Jinn worth all this trouble? In my opinion it is. Jinn isn't perfect, but it's one damn fine creation.

Enjoy.

Edited By mauglir on 1090184681
Mauglir
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

I'll try it sometime. Is there anywhere that has a download of Jinn that has already been patched?
mauglir

Post by mauglir »

I could upload the patched "international small install tag" but a full working install of Jinn would be about 400 megs.
Mauglir