Network problem in myth - .

A forum for solving problems that might be encountered during installation, updating, or in game.
Lars Jaeger BME

Post by Lars Jaeger BME »

Maybe someone could help me with this problem?

I've got two computers, one powermac g5 with Mac os X and one g3 iMac with Mac os 9.1.

When me and my brother try to play both at the same time one of us gets firewalls on all hosts. If one or the other is on alone everything is ok.

We have ADSL connected to both machines via a router using DHCP.

I've tried this with earlier versions of myth (but this was with the same g5 and a PC, it worked fine).
CIK

Post by CIK »

The problem lies with your router and how it's doing NAT. You can have 2 Mac behind a NATed router playing Myth, I've done it several times.
Pistol_Pete

Post by Pistol_Pete »

What kind of router do you have? I have a D-Link 614+, and I was unable to host a game through the internet (on one computer), and have the other computer join that host. If I setup a local host, then both players could join, but then people couldn't join from the internet. I sense the problem I had is the same as the one you're having. Maybe someone could give you tips for setting up your router to fix your and your brother's problem.
Lars Jaeger

Post by Lars Jaeger »

I've got a D-Link 604.

I emailed bloo, and he says they haven't done anything serverside.

What do you guys suggest I do? What is NAT, and how can I fix how the router is handling it?
kim jong il

Post by kim jong il »

What is NAT? network address translation. Your computer talks to the modem/router which converts a computers IP address to the/your gateway address (the IP your computer presents to the outside world). If two of you are trying to access an EXTERNAL game server using a single IP you will be in trouble. Most games servers try to allow only one user per IP (as seen by the outside world). Allowing multiple users allows anti competetive behaviour.

Furthermore, if NAT is not set up properly, only one copmputer can communicate with the outside world at any given time. Your modem/router should have a web based interface? If so, consider using Dynamic NAPT and configure the modem/router to talk to two computers by using pre-defined IP addresses (e.g. 10.0.0.7/9 or 192.168.0.5/9) or whatever IP you are using for the D-Link modem/router you have.

To consider as well: myth 1.5 (beta) (under OS X) only seems to allow connections between machines by IP ONLY. If you CREATE a multiplayer game, the other machine will not see this until you connect by ADDRESS.

If none of this is clear please PM/email/post me and I will try to make things clearer.

cheers, kim