Odd myth lag

A forum for solving problems that might be encountered during installation, updating, or in game.
Dark Angel

Post by Dark Angel »

Heya. I just recently installed Myth II and updated to 1.5. When I play Myth, however, on pm.net, in the games my game keeps stopping for a few tenths of a second then going again. It's not major lag, but it's consistent through the entire game and really makes things harder to play. I'm sure it's not just my internet connection - it's happened on multiple hosts and I have a high speed connection (pings usually under 100 ms).

I am using OS 10.3.4. If it helps, here are the specs:

Single processor 1.8 Ghz G5
512 MB of RAM
ATI Radeon 9600

Thanks,
-DA

[edit] - also, I'm not running Myth II with the CD in the drive as the 1.5 patch allows. I thought originally that was the problem, but when I reinstalled the patch same thing happened, even without a CD spinning.
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Does this only happen while playing online?
Dark Angel

Post by Dark Angel »

I haven't tried doing any solo, so I can't say. However, I haven't had any problems when playing a game by myself online. Furthermore, when doing a non co-op game I hiccup a bit, but not nearly as much.

Hope that helps,
-DA
CIK

Post by CIK »

Is there anything unique about your system? Non-Apple utilities installed or 3rd party devices hooked up. I ask because I've got a very similar G5 setup and have no issues. Also how are you connected to the internet?(ethernet modem, router, etc)?

Post by guest »

used to happen to me playing under windows, using software mode fixed the problem
Dark Angel

Post by Dark Angel »

Thanks for all the replies thus far.

The only 3rd party devices I'm using right now would be a pair of JBL speakers. Everything else should be Apple.

I'm plugged into a network with an ethernet cable, also.

To the guest, someone also mentioned playing in software mode, I'll have to give that a shot next.

Thanks,

-DA
ChrisP

Post by ChrisP »

DA, is it the game that stops, or your control that stops, i.e. camera and mouse movement, or typing chat? The later is another case of chat/input lag.
Rubba

Post by Rubba »

This happens for me quite a bit ... multi/solo.
Its been difficult and very trying as I am one of the unfortunates who also endure the "Geforce" problem.

CP, in the later case of "chat/input" lag ... aside from prefs, what else can u recommend?

Thx in advance
ChrisP

Post by ChrisP »

I wish I could help, Rubba. It's the kind of thing that always seems to effect some systems and not others. I had two different comps (with Geforce cards btw) that suffered extreme chat lag with 1.3, but 1.4 fixed it, for the second comp at least, and made M2 playable for the first time for me. My latest comp with a Radeon doesn't get affected in 1.3, 1.4 or 1.5.

My only suggestion other than getting different hardware is to hassle Iron or CIK. :\
Dark Angel

Post by Dark Angel »

Sorry for the tardy reply CP...in this case, everything kind of lags. Units moving, even when I don't move the mouse, will slightly lag. If I'm in a pregame lobby, I sometimes get chat lag. It seems like I have a case of both lags(?)

And I don't have a GeForce like Rubba does, but do similar problems plague the Radeons?

Thanks again,
-DA