Jumping - Is jumping possible?

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
ska

Post by ska »

I'm not an experienced mapmaker, and I don't know how teleportation works in the plugs where I've seen it, but it seems to me that if teleportation works, then jumping might work too. Instead of reappearing where you've clicked, the unit could throw an object that looked like itself, and it would reappear where the object landed.

If anyone could tell me about teleportation, this idea, or anything that would help me get an idea like this working, I will cook an early three-course dinner for them and their parents!
Horus

Post by Horus »

Actually I came up with the same idea about two years ago and I having working script for it. :p

Just expect to see it in the Deity of all Myth Expansions :cool:

Edited By Horus â„¢ on 1122249452
haravikk
Site Admin

Post by haravikk »

Ska, you're along the right lines, but it will likely require you to do some collection editing in Amber.

It wouldn't be easy however, now I'm going to assume that you're hoping for as flexible a system as possible (ie the unit jumps when the user tells it too).

First you'd need the unit set-up to throw a jumping projectile, ie what it will look like while 'in flight'.
The unit can then have this is an attack, the attack sequence for this will be an animation of the unit actually preparing to jump then starting to jump upwards, at the point where the unit should actually take off, it should become invisible. This would account for any delay in the map-script detecting the jumping unit. The user wouldn't see the invisibility however, as it would become invisible as the jumping projectile appears.

The script on the map would check for any of these units using it's special ability, if one is using this then it will be made invisible. It's jumping projectile is now flying through the air.

When it lands it should stop moving immediately (this is easy enough to do by having it promote to a motionless copy when it hits the ground), this is to avoid bouncing which would look rather odd.

The map script then detects this stationary projectile using a GEOM, it will then remove the projectile, and at the same time, put the original unit in its place and make it visible again.
The sequence which makes the unit visible however could be a projectile which animates to look like the unit landing and standing back up again.

This is by no-means the easiest of things to do, and would require a lot of fiddling with script. But it is do-able if you really want to put in the effort to do it, otherwise teleportation or clever use of camera movement can be used instead :)
Being Haravikk gets you girls like these:
Lothar

Post by Lothar »

And don't forget that GEOM's are evil anyway.
A-Red

Post by A-Red »

Lothar wrote:And don't forget that GEOM's are evil anyway.
Actually, they are very, very nice. :)

It's even in the Bible:

"And God looked down upon the Geometry Filter actions and saw that they were good."
--Genesis 1:26

A-Red
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

"...Grandaddy of all Myth Expansions...."

(cough)

........ Freedom 3 ............

:lol:
Okay I got the models but now I'm too dumb to do anything with 'em
Horus

Post by Horus »

William Wallet wrote:"...Grandaddy of all Myth Expansions...."

(cough)

........ Freedom 3 ............

:lol:

Fossil :P

I still need to get Freedom 1 and 2...

(Yes I did edit my original post, to kick your one's ass :P)

Edited By Horus â„¢ on 1122249595
haravikk
Site Admin

Post by haravikk »

Lothar wrote:And don't forget that GEOM's are evil anyway.
GEOM's are only evil if you forget the virgin sacrifice before using one, otherwise they are extremely useful and allow for some of the most intuitive scripting :)

And this isn't a thread for plugging myth add-ons, and if it were, neither of you are finished so you've very little to shout about anyway :P
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

Horus ol' boy, you crack me up. :P
Okay I got the models but now I'm too dumb to do anything with 'em
ducky

Post by ducky »

ska doesn't have an account here so he can't reply.

however, he wishes to thank you all profusely for your help. so here's to a proxy thank you.
ska

Post by ska »

Cool, I do have an account. Which is nice because I'll probably be asking a million questions related to my new(b) project!

Thanks a lot everyone!
haravikk
Site Admin

Post by haravikk »

Cool, now that you've signed up I think it important to note that there is a $1,000 signing-up tax that we'll be charging to your credit card :)
ska

Post by ska »

er... ::jumps to mexico::