Loathing Colormaps - F'in A!!!!

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
Floyd is Pink

Post by Floyd is Pink »

aight, so I'm nearly done with my colormap i started 2 days ago, and so I took it into loathing to make sure it wasnt complete shit. now, I ask this question EVERY time i load a map in loathing, but how do you make it look less like shit? as in less grainy????? although this would become my first map if i finish it, it looks pretty good to me in photoshop, but when i put it in loathing it looks terrible. especially water, where i made it look transparent so you can see the sand under it

the map construct and gameplay, I think will be wonderful, but I just cant stand the grainy colormap. If anyone could give me tips on enhancing visuals of my colormap, in anyway, please tell me.

and if someone could help me with the reflection/how to make water in a map, in simple form of understanding (and not send me a link for Clem's walkthrough) , itll be great!!

sorry for the long blabb, but i am just so anxious thanks for your time guys!
the longer you hold it, the warmer it gets.
ozone

Post by ozone »

If you show up around HL this week (evening - after 7pm CST) then I could give you a hand maybe...
do it.
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

I'd take up that offer floyd. Ozone is my hero. :) :P

You ARE indexing the map to 240ish colours right? If you leave it in RGB and just flatten the map and save as a .pict, it won't look very great at all. Another thing you want to try is not to have lots of variation in colours... try to keep it all on similar tones you know...
For example, you can't index a map very nicely that has nice green grass, with very blue water, and yellow sand. There's too much variation, and the index causes banding of colours... hence the cruddy look. You want to keep similar colour tones... Whites/greys and blues go well (winter maps), reds, dark greens and browns mix well (fall maps) and for summer maps you usually have to have some funky water colours to work it out. Green grass, browny muddy water usually works for example. Hope that helps some... but ozone is your man ;)
Floyd is Pink

Post by Floyd is Pink »

hell yeah ill take that offer, his work is crazy good

but yeah, my map is gonna have many problems then... it has green forest, a bright river under the sun and desertish sand.... heh... kinda tough for a first map??

i remember a good mapmaker, his name started with an m. Melkavian or something, (its been awhile) and he once made a map, and it had snow, grass, sand and water (or something with 4 terrains) all on one map and it still looked nice... would that mean theres a way around my problem??
the longer you hold it, the warmer it gets.
Unkfolt

Post by Unkfolt »

The map might look a little better in Myth than Loathing. Sometimes my graphics card doesn't read the colors in Loathing properly (ex. four shades of green appear as one) and I can't really see how it'll look until I try it out in Myth.

☼☼
"Somewhere something incredible is waiting to be known."
-Carl Sagan