Some help please.... - Unit amount/move-attack

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
Kenric Shadow

Post by Kenric Shadow »

I have a few questions.... they deal with scripting in which I'm a little new to.

First off.... I know that you can have more than 400 units in Myth, not on the screen and/or map at the same time, but brought in through scripting.... I'm guessing the way units spawn in like the world knot. Not too sure.. if any one knows how to bring in more units after others have fallen, please let me know the scriping technique or point me in the right direction.

Secondly.... Like I said, I'm new to this so it's somewhat basic I think. I know how to move a unit to a waypoint and to use a special attack to a give target/location. My problem is how do I combine those things... I would like to have 5 archer's move to location A, and have them shoot fire arrows to location B. Any help with linking these actions or scripting will help greatly.

And finally.... When ever I set units to move or other.. I always make it start automaticaly when the game starts becuase I'm unaware of how to trigger or set a time to make them move... how is this done. Say I would like a trow to move to location A, thirty seconds after the map begins.

Any help to any of these questions will be greatly appreicated, thank you. :)
lank

Post by lank »

i'm no scripting expert, so others will have to cover the bases i miss or correct any mistakes i make.

first, to make extra units appear, they have to be placed invisible on the map and then made visible using a unit control.

when you make a new action, you'll see a text box for an activation time (or something worded similarly). if you want 30 seconds, enter 30 into this field.

to make the units move and then fire, you can have in the MOVE action "activates on completion" or some such that links to the ATTA.

hope that helps. :)
*toot*
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

You mightn't want to take my advice (cough... dodgy scripting in Freedom 1 & 2) but to save time I used to use Platoon actions for both movement and attacking. Basically I'd have squads of baddies just roaming the map in a set path, and then if you come within about 25 world cells of them, they'd go apeshit and charge you. Crude but it made the levels kinda tricky.
Another one you will want to play with is Legion scripting, which is basically what you use to get archers/soulless/whatever to line up and stand guard - they'll attack people that come to close, and they'll retreat or advance if you want 'em to.
If you want to know more about those scripting things, you'd best open up some Bungie levels and find out how they work in there.

Good Luck Have Fun & 12!
Okay I got the models but now I'm too dumb to do anything with 'em