Awesome map idea - 1st - can it be done? 2nd -anyone wanna?

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
Thalander

Post by Thalander »

My idea is to make a modified version of the classic board game RISK for Myth II. I started doing this about two years ago but had to abandon the project because I was using an actual map of the Earth (thanks to Sk8r4life for making the colormap pretty) but unfortunately there are 42 territories in normal RISK, and Myth only supports 32 terries flags.

I want to make a new version with a made up world. There will be 32 flags. There will be a total of say, 5 continents, of varying sizes and varying amounts of flags. Gametime will be set to something very long, such as 90 minutes. Each player will begin with one unit (say, a warrior captain). Thirty seconds or somethingg after the game begins, each player will receive reinforcements which will be based on the number of flags he holds (#flags / 3 = points, which are given as warriors). They would appear by the warrior captain. Then, each say 3 minutes of play, reinforcements would be calculated and given again. The other way to to get reinforcements would be to hold all the flags on a continent uncontested for like 1 minute (there would be a timer). I haven't worked out any details yet, these are all just preliminary ideas. Any questions? Is this doable? Does it sound fun? If the previous two questions are yes, does anyone want to help me do this? I'd need someone with good knowledge of scripting, a colormapper... I can do everything involved in mapmaking mediocrely, so if this does become a project I'll do the planning, help out on the sections, do grunt work. I'm just throwing this out now. Understanding this post might depend on knowing how RISK works. Basically you need to take over the world and leave no opponents left alive (on this map, there wouldn't really be anywhere to hide)
Samsara

Post by Samsara »

I see to remember someone doing a risk project at one point - probably around when Clue and MythChess were released =-P.

I don't think it went anywhere though.

Its possible though.
Pistol_Pete

Post by Pistol_Pete »

There's a plug called Earth that did a bang-up job of displaying the whole world. Methinks you should check that map out before you start any work.

I'd be interested in the theme of reinforcements, but it'd need some game play balancing in order to ensure it'll be realitvely fair and fun.
Thalander

Post by Thalander »

I have checked out Earth. Maybe I'll get some more substance to my idea drafted
Zeph

Post by Zeph »

i wrote a big post about this and I just figured out it was never posted...

so I will write it again later tonight :D

My idea is like risk, but on a smaller scale and more myth-battle-style oriented.
Try this funny game, it's free, broswer based and doesn't ask for email.www.mybrute.com
Thalander

Post by Thalander »

This map is not going to be super myth oriented, actually... its going to be all strategy. Not who has best arc dodging skills. All units will prolly be warrs.

I'm going to try it! :p
Samsara

Post by Samsara »

Maybe make new risk-esque peices then without animations? Some what like chess did.
Thalander

Post by Thalander »

That would be a step backwards, in my opinion. They are actually supposed to be men fighting.
capital

Post by capital »

Thalander wrote:That would be a step backwards, in my opinion. They are actually supposed to be men fighting.
Hmm, so are you implying that in the RISK game that you get like dehydrated men or something and then add like water and stuff, and you can play RISK with men fighting?
Thalander

Post by Thalander »

No. It's illogical for chess to not change the units because using normal myth units would mess up the gameplay. In RISK, you have a certain chance of winning a battle. Just like when two warriors fight. In chess, its not like when your pawn goes to capture the enemy pawn, the enemy pawn can somehow resist capture and win the fight.
Ethan

Post by Ethan »

Where is the World map DL at?
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

I was once going to make a world map, it had nothing to do with Risk though. It'd be nice to use really good satellite imagery for that.
Okay I got the models but now I'm too dumb to do anything with 'em