Model making tutorial - a work in progress

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

For mac users only I'm afraid ... until tools are available on PC for making/importing building models.

Comments are most welcome. I do need to add screenshots etc btw.

http://projectmagma.net/~iron/model_guide.htm
...playing as long5hot on War Thunder
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

.bump.

Guess there aren't many would-be model makers out there :\ Either that or you're all experts.

This site could really do with a section for articles...
Samsara

Post by Samsara »

Another good document on this comes with apathy. it explains the various flags that can be used etc. Though it often fails to explain their importance. (for example different techniques like using closest z for rounded walls that dont replace the mesh... or walls too thin to replacemesh.)

Of course one really shouldn't be using just apathy, but its documents seem very well done and much of it carries over to vegas.

I agree - a section for articles would be a great addition to your site. imo. You guys have alot of know how, and it get it down in text might benefit many.
(AKA Captain Trips, Amadeus)
Samsara

Post by Samsara »

gud tutorial btw.
TarousZars
Site Admin

Post by TarousZars »

Tutorial looks pretty good. I just too much crap on my plate already to worry about new models =-). And my artistic ability is well below par. I think an Articles Section would be AWESOME!
carlinho

Post by carlinho »

didn't have time to read it yet but I was really happy to hear a tutorial on models was made!
models for myth are a pain in the butt thing to do, the engine is too old and has a lot of tricks that could make the model look really bad unless you do the right thing...
It's great to know I can relate to the tutorial next time I need to do some new models!!!!
thanks!!!!
http://carlinho7.tripod.com
Home of ANCIENT and CLASSICAL GREECE plugin on the works.
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

Well, I'm really a newbie model maker. There's plenty of guys like Samsara above who've been doing it a lot longer than I. Perhaps the fact that I've only picked it up helps as it makes me relate the tutorial for other newbies & not assume too much prior knowledge.

Anyway, the point is that the tut can definitely be improved, and should really be a community document. Any suggestions & contributions would be very gratefully received and added in. Hey Ama ... perhaps you could send me some text describing how to get a 3DMF into Myth 3 as well?
ozone

Post by ozone »

Great stuff iron...

Id add a part about animated models and how they have to face the right way in meshworks because in myth/loathing you cant turn an animated model... I forget exactly what way they have to face but I think front in meshworks is the back when in loathing...

:o
do it.
Samsara

Post by Samsara »

To be honest I'm not horribly great as I've been out of practice for a good 4 years =-/. I just started early on it and figured some stuff out that is now likely fairly common knowledge.

Though I can definitely do a write up on porting models to m3, as I've done that fairly recently.

EDIT: THat belonged in another thread mb.
carlinho

Post by carlinho »

Mauglir knows a lot about models.
he helped me before with some weird troubleshooting I had when creating some.
Edit- actually he said in a post sometime ago he is working on a tutorial for models right now.
there's also another simple tutorial that Samsara posted on MArch 9th at :

http://www.apocryphagaming.com/tutorial/

So in this thread you have more info about them.
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

Well ... Maug would be an ideal guy to write the tut. He's the one that got me started when I needed to make models. Unfortunately he's kinda vanished on us over the last couple of months & we don't know when/if he'll be back (seems to happen more & more with Mythers lately).

Oz, I'd gladly add in something about animated models ... but first I'd need to have half a clue as to how to make 'em :)
Samsara

Post by Samsara »

Yeha you should ignore my tutorial. its sorta full of itself and a pos. Its basically just steps of how to get something into myth. Basically existed just for some guys in my group that wanted to know how to do models.
carlinho

Post by carlinho »

I saw a post about geomview an application that allows you to export myth models to meshworks.
tried to download it from the link but it's dead.
anybody has a clue where to get that application?
Samsara

Post by Samsara »

Malice does the same thing. No clue where to get geomview though.
carlinho

Post by carlinho »

where can I get malice?
is it for mac or pc?
thanks!