Scripting movement - same

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
Sam The Butcher

Post by Sam The Butcher »

I am starting to learn scripting. I am following a tutorial that I have. I am trying to get units to move through waypoints. The prob that I am having is that sometimes a unit goes to 1 of the waypoints and then just moves back and forth over it even though there are other waypoints it is supposed to go to. I am going to keep trying but if someone can give me a quick answer that would be awesome. Thanks
A-Red

Post by A-Red »

If you could give a description of what flags you have used, it might help people to determine what is happening.

The only possibility I can think of right offhand is that the waypoint you have set is on a patch of ground that is unwalkable, and as a result the unit keeps walking around it trying to get to the exact spot, even though it can't.

A-Red
Sam The Butcher

Thanks for helping.
If you could give a description of what flags you have used, it might help people to determine what is happening.

All I have is monster subj-the waypoints and final facing.
It does look like he cant stop on the spot but it is on passible terrain. He goes to the 1st waypoint then back and forth over it. Weird thing is sometimes it does go through the waypoints. I have tried different places sometimes they work. I cant see where there is any difference in the waypoints that some would and some wouldn't work. I have just 1 waypoint set now and it works. I will keep trying but any suggestion to this and scripting in general would be highly appreciated.
ChrisP

Post by ChrisP »

I'm a movement script noob myself, but...

1. Try adding a Formation Index parameter, even though you only have one unit.

2. If #1 fails, hope someone more qualified than me replies.

3. If #2 fails, don't use MOVE map actions for more than one waypoint. I've heard several expert scripters bitch about how much they suck. Instead, use platoons, or the SQUA, PLAT, PLMO map action combo. It's more complicated and involved, but less buggy (you still have to be careful though) and more powerful (better control over when a unit will stop moving and start attacking instead).

Examples of platoon movement can be found on many Bungie levels. I've only set up PLATs a couple times, but I can probably help you out if you (or your units) get stuck.

Good luck.
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

Another thing, make sure the action deactivates on trigger. Anything else is likely to cause a problem like what you're seeing.
...playing as long5hot on War Thunder
Sam The Butcher

That was it Iron. I had it deactivate on success. I must have miss read or over looked it. Thank you
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

Hey ChrisP,
I'm no expert but the platoon stuff is heaps better. I use it because I'm too lazy to add scripting for attacks and stuff. You get movement and 'touchy-baddy-attacks-anything-within-cooee' as well.
Okay I got the models but now I'm too dumb to do anything with 'em
A-Red

Post by A-Red »

Sam The Butcher wrote:That was it Iron. I had it deactivate on success. I must have miss read or over looked it. Thank you

I didn't know you had to have movements deactivated on anything. I usually just use activations, not deactivations.

A-Red