Editing plugins - How?

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
Nameless

Post by Nameless »

i was looking at some of my really old downloaded plugins when i found that i still had the chimera one. i want to take the unique units from chimera and make them accessible to edit and place in fear and loathing. how do i do this?
Fear doesnt see the units.
Nick nitro

Post by Nick nitro »

You need to use topaz tag extractor to open the plugin and acess all the goodies inside
Road

Post by Road »

I wouldnt do that... Not with out the map makers permission.
The biggest problem that youll also find is digging through 300 tags to get the ones that you want to use. If your not experianced at map making and you dont have permission to use the tags then I hope your just making it for your self.
Orlando the Axe

Post by Orlando the Axe »

I believe all of the units were extracted and made into their own tag for inclusion in maps... The ports were done by GodzFire (of Anictolyte) I believe and were on the mill... do they still exist somewhere? I don't know.
GHOST®

Post by GHOST® »

[color=DFC99B]
I wouldnt do that... Not with out the map makers permission.
Ummm Road, Chimera is just like Myth in that you bought the game and have every right to use the tags contained there in as you see fit as long as it isnt used in something that is then sold and it includes the Bungie Copyright Disclaimer. :o)

Nameless, as was pointed out, you will need Topaz to disassemble the Plug-In into your Myth local folder, then you will have to go thru and pull out the necessary tags for each unit from the following folders Topaz will create when you disassemble Chimera . . .

A: Collections-COLL

B: Collection References-CREF

C: Monster Tags-MONS (Looking at these tags in Fear will tell you what PRGRs, PROJs, and OBJEs are needed for that particular MONS.)

D: Object Tags-OBJE

E: Projectile Group Tags-PRGR

F: Projectile Tags-PROJ

G: Sound Tags-SOUN (Probably the most difficult as the sounds you will be needing are tied to the unit via the collection iirc and not dechiperable thru Fear.

H: Unit Tags-UNIT (Looking at these tags in Fear will tell you what MONS and CREF are needed for that UNIT)

After extracting the tags from these folders, place the units you extracted onto a map and fire it up. If it loads and plays, youre in like flint, if you find the map you placed these units on crashes, immediatley open your Myth_Log.txt file and it will clue you in on any tags you missed and if you cant decipher what its telling you, then post it here and one of us old timers will help you out.

It can be time consuming and frustrating, but iirc, Chimera only had a few *new* units and the rest were Bungie Default units, so it shouldnt be too difficult a task.

Oh, Nameless, mb you could take a minute to register an account here when the opportunity presents itself ?? :o)

GL, HF, and Die Well.[/color]
"Do you want to be healed now? Or would you prefer to bleed to death so I can try my hand at resurrection?"
Road

Post by Road »

Thats good to know Ghost...dont think Id want any of those units anyways :D

Yeah, there were 3 units I think that were extracted and were at the Mill..Im sure they are around somewhere.

Trying to find all of the tags for a single unit in a plugin like that could take awial and be frustrating to some one thats new at it but if you take Ghosts suggestion then when your all done youll feel well rewarded, its one of the first steps to becoming a true Hack and Slash Map Maker :D
mauglir

Post by mauglir »

It should be pointed out that if you use a Mac, your tool of choice for dissecting plugins is Tag Extractor, not Topaz.
Mauglir