My plugin 'no heroes' - It doesn't work...

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

I was making a plugin that took all the hero units in the solo campaign of Myth II (Garrick, Pathfinder, Mortar heroes, Alric and the heroes from the level 'Shiver') but had some problems with them.

They worked when loaded through the new game button in the main menu but the whole game crashed really badly when I tried to host it on PlayMyth.net. I e-mailed the plugin to some friends and the all had the same trouble.

I talked to oogaBooga on PlayMyth.net and asked him for help and he told me to make the plugin with Fear instead of Loathing. He said that Alric needs Balmung in Twice Born because his regular sword doesn't hurt Soublighter because it doesn't do gas damage.

He said going into units and giving the unit tags I needed (for example '06 Garrick') and changing the monster tag to the regular unit (e.g. 'warrior'). I did this and, in Garrick's case, gave him the string lists for the Garrick unit (spelling, name, flavour etc.) and made the plug.

This plugin worked mostly. Each level appeared twice, one in regular form, one for my plug. The level 'Twice Born' didn't work and I guess I messed up the gas damage thing. I just selected the tag 'magic sword attack' or something similar and set the damage to zero. This didn't work and the second version of the level didn't show up.

Also, the plugin doesn't effect the units on multiplayer maps, only the units in solo/coop. Why? Is this a solvable problem?

ooga said he'd help me fix it when I talked to him but said he wanted to play a few games with some friends first. I didn't get a chance to talk to him again. I've not really had much luck solving this problem. Can you help?
skrew

Post by skrew »

1) the levels appeared twice because you edited each mesh tag in loathing for each coop level, kinda like HoC.
2) you cant play your local folder (all your edited tags) on playmyth, only over tcp/ip with yourself or the solo game
3) ill assume ooga meant changing the unit tags, not the monster tags, if you change the monster tags of a warrior and garrick, then garrick will be a normal warrior named garrick(if you added his flavor and name string lists), unit tags are what you use for different collection references of units when placing them in loathing (e.g dark archers being black and brown and ghost archers being pale blue) so what you need to do is make the garrick unit be placed like a normal warrior is on other meshes, so you dont have to edit each mesh. dont listen to ooga though, he was probably stoned.
4) giving alric his sword in twice born is by scripting, if you didnt touch him it would have worked.
5) this is what ooga was talking about, on the multi meshes the units placed on the meshes have the normal unit tags (warriors have the tag warriors, archers have the tag archers) just edit the unit tags test it out, put the heron gaurd hero in the archer unit tag, meanign on every single map, the heron gaurd hero will replace the archer.

hope this helped you, skrew.
King kong died for our sins!
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

I did the thing about changing hgh into an arc except i made him a normal heron but it didnt work.

I can't just get rid of Alric's Balmung cuz it does 'gas damage' and that's how he hurts Soulblighter. I deleted the tag for the lightning that comes out of it but it didn't help.

I don't get the thing about placing Garrick like a normal warr. It confused me.
skrew

Post by skrew »

you miss understood me elfoid, to fix twice born, throw out the edited mesh tag in your meshes folder in your local directory.

i meant changing hgh ot arc as an example to help you understand the usage of unit tags and their importance.

unit tags consist of 2 things; monster tags and collection references, what makes garrick a stronger warrior is all linked up to his monster tag (which holds his attacks through projectile tags, his health in the object tag and other little boosts from flags in the monster tag) and, say, if your editing an exsisting map (e.g willow creek) and warrior unit tags, archer unit tags, and dwarf unit tags have *already* been placed on the mesh, then you dont need to edit the mesh to change the units, you can just change the monster tag that the unit tags on the map refer to. (even though this isnt what you want for your plugin, since to get it the way you want you have to edit every single mesh, your plugin would have the exact same concept as heroes of co-op, and thats a 40mb download) what i wanted you to figure out is that you dont need to necessarily edit the meshes in loathing to change the units.

~skrew
Road

Post by Road »

The Elfoid wrote:I was making a plugin that took all the hero units in the solo campaign of Myth II (Garrick, Pathfinder, Mortar heroes, Alric and the heroes from the level 'Shiver') but had some problems with them.

They worked when loaded through the new game button in the main menu but the whole game crashed really badly when I tried to host it on PlayMyth.net. I e-mailed the plugin to some friends and the all had the same trouble.

I talked to oogaBooga on PlayMyth.net and asked him for help and he told me to make the plugin with Fear instead of Loathing. He said that Alric needs Balmung in Twice Born because his regular sword doesn't hurt Soublighter because it doesn't do gas damage.

He said going into units and giving the unit tags I needed (for example '06 Garrick') and changing the monster tag to the regular unit (e.g. 'warrior'). I did this and, in Garrick's case, gave him the string lists for the Garrick unit (spelling, name, flavour etc.) and made the plug.

This plugin worked mostly. Each level appeared twice, one in regular form, one for my plug. The level 'Twice Born' didn't work and I guess I messed up the gas damage thing. I just selected the tag 'magic sword attack' or something similar and set the damage to zero. This didn't work and the second version of the level didn't show up.

Also, the plugin doesn't effect the units on multiplayer maps, only the units in solo/coop. Why? Is this a solvable problem?

ooga said he'd help me fix it when I talked to him but said he wanted to play a few games with some friends first. I didn't get a chance to talk to him again. I've not really had much luck solving this problem. Can you help?
1. took them where?

2. testing in 1.5 only works off line with the local, you need to make a plugin to play it online multi or co-op.

3. Did you replace Alric? If so just go in artifacts and change the monster user to what you made him.

4. Unit Tags

5. thats because it duplicates the mesh tag..what you need to do is make new string lists for your maps and enter them into the Mesh tags that you made.

6. In 1.5 you can no longer test local folders online..you need to make a plugin every time to test online now.

7. I think I was one of those friends he was playing with mb..who knows, he has so many. I dont really pass by these posts as often as I should mb.
skrew

Post by skrew »

I already said that :O