3d models in myth ii - Anyone interested in a tutorial?

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
mauglir

Post by mauglir »

For a long time now, I have been considering writing a tutorial for creating Myth II models. Such a document would cover the creation of the actual model geometry, texturing, converting models into Myth II tags and setting their attributes, expanded tools documentation, and general discussions about many of the possible ways models can impact level design and gameplay.

Just to clarify, this would be about things like castles, bridges, caves, and other 3D structures that sit on a Myth II mesh - it's not about units or scenery (like trees).

Would there be any interest in such a document? There is a definite lack of documentation on this aspect of mapmaking, so I would probably take the time to create it if there was even a small level of interest from the community.

Thanks!
Mauglir
teepens

Post by teepens »

Even though I would not be able to make the models, due to not having a Mac, I'm sure there are people who want models and can't figure out to make them.
cenoxide

Post by cenoxide »

i had a website long ago, it contained tutorials on myth ii 3d model making and such, its down now tho.
skrew

Post by skrew »

i would really like to know how to make Ice hockey goals to import into m2
Unkfolt

Post by Unkfolt »

Yeah, I've never seen anything on making actual building models for Myth. Remember to post your tutorial or a link to it here so people can find it.
"Somewhere something incredible is waiting to be known."
-Carl Sagan
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

Maug if you make the tut, we'll host it in a prominent/permanent place on this site if you like.
...playing as long5hot on War Thunder
Industry

Post by Industry »

A model making tutorial? I am so fiending for more information about Myth modelmaking that I have started trying to port Pangea's 3dmf tools to Windows. I have the PC and Linux versions of this game, but am actually considering buying an old Mac just so I can use all the sweet Mac only tools.

Read that as a yes. I would love a model making tutorial.
Re-reading a tutorial on Concrete Blocks from 3DMFX, vinylrake's tips, how to convert myth TFL models to Myth2, and loshadh's old posts about the geom tag is simply not enough.

For instance, what the heck is the Myth model doing to the terrain mesh under it?
Why the heck are there geom tags and mode tags if the textures are stored in a collection tag?
cenoxide

Post by cenoxide »

you can make a model to either replace the ground under it with the actual model, this is a matter of the model looking as good as it can, so sometimes you need to make it replace the ground under it, otherwise, you can simply skip it.

A 3D model needs 4 different files:
.geom is the actual geometry for the model
.mode is the model permutation in Fear
.256 is the textures
.core is the collection reference in Fear, this is used for telling the model permutation that it should use the specific textures (.256) file on the model.
mauglir

Post by mauglir »

Expanding on cenoxide's post...

Models can delete the mesh cells directly under them, but they don't have to. Deleting unseen mesh cells helps prevent model surfaces from blinking or breaking when viewed at certain camera angles, which is just one of the many annoying limitations of Myth's primitive 3D engine. Units also seem to have a somewhat easier time pathfinding around models that delete the mesh cells under them.

Seems like there's enough interest in this subject to justify the time it will take me to produce the kind of guide I always wished I'd had ;-)
Mauglir
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

I'd be interested in it greatly. I signed up for a 3d course next year....whether i'll get it or not is a different story. I cant acutally make the models....but knowing how to texture them nicely would be great....Suppose that's more of an artwork side of things though :) It would be great Maug...good luck with it....if you need anything done on the side for it....I can always try and give a helping hand to move it along quicker :D
mauglir

Post by mauglir »

I'm in the process of writing it now, but because it will be a long document, it won't be done for a little while.
Mauglir
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

Great to hear.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

The only making 3D myth objects tutorial I have seen is The Pope's Making Scenery Objects with Bryce tutorial.

Since different mapmakers think of different things to emphasize and have different approaches to mapmaking, I think having another tutorial would be really nice to have. The more info, the better.
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.
Sam The Butcher

Post by Sam The Butcher »

Yes, I would be very interested. It would be a very cool thing for you to do. Would it be just for Mac or Pc too?
mauglir

Post by mauglir »

Unfortunately all of the Myth 3D model tools are Mac only.

Just to clarify again, what I'm talking about when I say 3D Myth Models are buildings, (houses, castles, windmills, walls, etc.) NOT units, trees, etc.
Mauglir