Take 2?

Talk about anything here.
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

Reading this really brought new anger to me on Take 2.

One could say that the Windows bug caused the downturn of the Myth series. If it never happened, Bungie wouldn't have needed to get an investor, Take2 would not have bought the 20% of it's stock, Bungie would have retained 100% when Microsoft bought it, and would have had a say in what happened to the series.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

GodzFire wrote:...One could say that the Windows bug caused the downturn of the Myth series. If it never happened, Bungie wouldn't have needed to get an investor, Take2 would not have bought the 20% of it's stock, Bungie would have retained 100% when Microsoft bought it, and would have had a say in what happened to the series.
I know and I couldn't agree more. Bungie was a mac shop and they got into trouble when they started writing pgms for Windows. If Bungie had just stuck with Mac only games, we would probably be playing an incredibly awesome (mac only) Myth 5 by now.
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

I just got done watching G4's Icons, which featured Bungie back in 2004:
http://www.wraith-ops.com/hbomirror/Bungie_Icons.mov

While it was very interesting since I never saw it before, it also really cemented the fact that if it wasn't for the Windows Uninstall bug, Take2 would have never gotten into the picture, and Bungie would still own the Myth series As the show stated, they lost around $1 million because of that bug, and needed some financial backup.

It's weird because, I actually feel angry about the situation. I dunno, if you haven't, watch it yourself, and see what you think.
Renwood TWA

Post by Renwood TWA »

Never forget guys that games are created with a DEADLINE.

This is the nature of the beast in ANY kind of publishing.

If your content isnt ready by the deadline.....too bad, whatever exsists gets shipped. YOu know all the adds saying when a game is coming out and distirbution timetables are allready in place.

Take2 COULD NOT give mumbo Jumbo more time to "Fix" M3 because they COULD NOT MISS the christmass season.

Mumbo Jumbo should have spent less time on crappy 3d Cut scenes and stupid 3D trees that bend from explosions but still CANT EVEN BLOCK ARROWS!

If you say you can get it done in 11 months and have it ready to ship RIGHT before christmass , you better pull it off or whatever crap you create will get shipped.

The other option T2 had was to MISS the HUGE sales of the chrismass season (90% or so of all game sales!) in order to spend ANOTHER year bankrolling a game so it could hopefully be fixed and completed in time for next year.

It seems a risk they werent willing to take ~8^(

-Renwood
Peach Out
Renwood TWA

Post by Renwood TWA »

BTW i also was very good freinds with Fisj and Vodi, and even i think MJ dropped the ball a bit.
Peach Out
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Speaking of deadlines, what is the anticipated release date for The Wind Age?

I really want a new large scale-epic solo campaign to play rather than another never-ending single-level solo map. (though those can be quite fun too, I have a short attention span so need shorter more easily attainable goals) )The Wind Age is the only one I've heard about that's in the works so I want it done ASAP!!!

purty please?
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

How can you not be aware of The Fallen's Vengeance? Where have you been? Under a rock?....oh wait.. maybe that's us.. ;)

http://onyxwarlords.com/thefallensvengeance/
Renwood TWA

Post by Renwood TWA »

Fear not VR! its still being worked on.

Many of our members had computer crashes of various sorts on multiple machines over the last 6 months. This REALLY took its toll on our dev team as none of us has much money to replace motherboards CPUs and videos cards when they decide to fry themselves.

There was also a HUGE problem with a few content creation programs that we were counting on to make all new high res content, turning out to be unrealible buggy/bullshit ridden crap that works untill you get 99% of the way done and then decides to stop exporting its content correctly or just is a clusterfuck of poorly implemented features and buggyness.

No small part of this slowdown is due to the fact the resession really is hitting our dev team hard. Some of us lost funding for school and got kicked out, some of us have lost our jobs, and even a hurricane decided to fuck with our main programmer.

the nature of the content we are creating is more complicated then any myth content ever made (you can also blame project magma for too many awesome new features to play with!) , and thus takes a lot longer to produce and implement/test. part of that is my fault from adding too many features into the game design and too much depth into each aspect of it.

BUT o well i dont do things halfway. If we as a team think something will really add to myth's gameplay and personality we decide to work on it even if it will be really compicated and take longer to create.

I think between our dev team 6 or 7 computers have taken a shit the last 6 months. the only good news about all those crashes is we didnt lose anything, thanks to our being paranoid and backing everything up all the time.

the whole team is clicking away on the project, and the work from evreybody is top notch!

We even have a total of 12 all new tracks for the musical score on The wind age! we will upload them soon to the website....just as soon as toxyn gets some time to do so.

-Renwood
Peach Out
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

Well when you work with Windows computers, you have to expect and plan for those types of things.
Renwood TWA

Post by Renwood TWA »

macs stop working as well, and that wouldnt help us with the different software being buggy.

The only planning to do is back stuff up, this isnt about a mac or PC thing.
Peach Out
Sonixboom

Post by Sonixboom »

The bully was a good game. like grand theft auto but with teens. I enjoyed it :)

It was fun to shoot nerds with that potato gun

-Saint †
Anyone interested in joining my clan drop me a line.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

Sonixboom wrote:The bully was a good game. like grand theft auto but with teens. I enjoyed it :)

It was fun to shoot nerds with that potato gun
And that relates to the things mentioned before, how? Better yet, don't reply it was rhetorical.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Graydon wrote:How can you not be aware of The Fallen's Vengeance?
I am afraid that since the downloads only have a month-day date (no year) and the screenshots in the same section of the site are of PLAYMYTH interfaces, I assumed this project had died a quiet death and I just hadn't noticed.

IS TFV CURRENTLY being _actively_ worked on by anyone?
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Yes. I get bombarded with requests for mapmaking features from Graydon on a regular basis because of it. :(

:P
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

Aye. The beast lives. Slowly gathering size and power.

Of the 25 levels this campaign has, 3 of the final 4 maps are actively being scripted. All the journal entries are in, many of the new units have been made, and many new models have been created. Progression on detail texture mapping is coming along slowly, and we're contemplating re-working the world map graphics we're using. More models and units to be made still though, and still some scripting and bug fixing to do. All in all though, the project is definitely moving along nicely. I created a new website for Onyx a couple years back now, and have only had it online under a private test link... it's not finished, but I should really update that stuff. It'll get done sometime "soonâ„¢"