So, like, why isn't there a free Myth?

Talk about anything here.
vinylrake

Re: So, like, why isn't there a free Myth?

Post by vinylrake »

there's a difference between wanting Myth to die and preferring the few people still working on myth-related projects spend their limited time working on projects that actually might get finished.
juliocpaes

Post by juliocpaes »

vinylrake wrote:there's a difference between wanting Myth to die and preferring the few people still working on myth-related projects spend their limited time working on projects that actually might get finished.
Hello Vinylrake, :|

I agree with you. the myth should have free download.
however, first have to have a free release, not to incur copyright issues

I fully agree, the Myth is not to die. and was released the second edition of Myth (Fear & loathing) should be legally released for download gratis Myth series. :D

sorry my bad english. :oops:
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

vinylrake wrote:there's a difference between wanting Myth to die and preferring the few people still working on myth-related projects spend their limited time working on projects that actually might get finished.
Well ... except that one day, when the last mapmaker finishes or abandons their last plugin & the last Magma coder realises the next version is beyond him/her & there's not enough players left to justify it, then whoever's left will think "hey what if we had a new myth-like game", but the talent & enthusiasm required to make it will be long gone. It probably already is, or very close to it.

Myth is not free, and never will be. Its condemned to a constantly shrinking player base with no hope of a new audience taking it up. A new free game would not have that problem.

Anyway, people will work on what they want to work on, nothing said here will change that ;)
...playing as long5hot on War Thunder
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

iron wrote: Its condemned to a constantly shrinking player base with no hope of a new audience taking it up. A new free game would not have that problem.
I'm not sure I believe the constantly shrinking playerbase story. I was on MNet the other day and 40 people were playing that night. I don't think those numbers are very different from the numbers from 4 years ago, for example.
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

iron wrote: Its condemned to a constantly shrinking player base with no hope of a new audience taking it up. A new free game would not have that problem.
I'm not sure I believe the constantly shrinking playerbase story. I was on MNet the other day and 40 people were playing that night. I don't think those numbers are very different from the numbers from 4 years ago, for example.
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

Heh, no need to say it twice :) 40 people? I guess its all fine then.
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Not saying it's a lot - just saying I don't think it's shrinking anymore but rather staying constant-ish.
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

iron wrote:
Well ... except that one day, when the last mapmaker finishes or abandons their last plugin & the last Magma coder realises the next version is beyond him/her & there's not enough players left to justify it, then whoever's left will think "hey what if we had a new myth-like game", but the talent & enthusiasm required to make it will be long gone. It probably already is, or very close to it.

Myth is not free, and never will be. Its condemned to a constantly shrinking player base with no hope of a new audience taking it up. A new free game would not have that problem.

Anyway, people will work on what they want to work on, nothing said here will change that ;)
Let me know then when you're done creating a clone that is just like Myth, because one of the reasons why I still enjoy Myth is not only it's gameplay, but the story and lore behind it as well.

By the way Iron, what have you been working on the past 6 months or so? How are those models from Briarius working out?
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

GodzFire wrote:Let me know then when you're done creating a clone that is just like Myth
Sorry, but that comes across like yet another person who won't get involved in making a new free Myth-like game, yet will happily compare and criticize one if it miraculously appears.
By the way Iron, what have you been working on the past 6 months or so? How are those models from Briarius working out?
Not really on topic. Things are pretty stagnant for various reasons. Not uncommon with ambitious myth projects.
carlinho

Post by carlinho »

I think I know that story well...mmm familiar...hehe :roll:

and shrinking player base? mmm I started playing myth 1 year ago kind of....
never played before....hahaa
http://carlinho7.tripod.com
Home of ANCIENT and CLASSICAL GREECE plugin on the works.
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

Slightly odd suggestion, don't know if it's been made before: did anyone ever just ask Take 2 "can we host Myth II as a free download?"

We don't need the rights to Myth to do that, only the right to Download it.

In many ways, it makes commercial sense of them (to a minor degree). Myth's sales right now are gonna be negligible, right? The only potential moneyspinning value it really has in the future is if they were ever to revive the concept with a new sequel. Having a small player base of classic Myth players have free access to old Myth games just keeps the name and game alive a bit more, increasing the exposure - to some moderate degree that would give any future development of the franchise more of a buzz, with us around to spread the word and form the foundation of any future, new "Myth IV" game community.

Hell, who would make better playtesters if they were ever to attempt a Myth sequel? The Myth Community has had involvement with the game's owners since it began. Myth gamers went on to work for Bungie, Bungie sponsored MWC98/99, Bungie and Badlands got in bed to make the "official expansion", Myth II: Chimera. Since then there was the multiplayer map-packs included with Myth: The Total Codex, Mumbo Jumbo hiring members of the Myth community to work on Myth III, Myth II: Worlds and Green Berets: Powered by Myth II. Unlike the first two games, where the Bungie.net source code was released, Myth III only allowed users on GameSpy, I'm sure permission was required to link that game up to MariusNet/PlayMyth.net. Hell, even allowing Project Magma the rights to update the game is something of a deal - it'd be one thing if they were to make the game open source, but to hand it to select individuals....

...I'm aware a lot of the people involved at that time are no longer at Take 2. But it can still be given to them as examples of how people at T2 who had been more involved with Myth saw that putting power and trust in the hands of the community, investing in it, can make Myth stronger. What little monetary value the Myth name still carries (real value, not the value they want for it), is a result of their generosity and the community's efforts.

They could grant download access to a single site such as Magma (I'm proposing Magma as the obvious option because in this case EVERYTHING WOULD BE LEGAL, which appears to be the main reason why people were telling Ducky to do it himself), and insist we don't give that right to anyone else, and reserve the right to revoke free hosting of the game should they attempt to bring the game back in the future if they ever find plans for the franchise.

It's not impossible they'd let it happen. It seems completely against business sense, but for years musicians said they'd never give their music away for free, but now record labels are giving away singles as free downloads if you sign up to a band's mailing list, or just give things away for free for the sake of it. In the world of innevitable online piracy, these things sustain interest in a product so something more interest can be generated when commercially viable products emerge on the market.

There's other options too, such as hosting it on a site with loads of adverts. We agree to promote the download, host it, run whatever website it comes off, draw attention to it, and then pay them via the profits generated. It's probably worth whatever money they'd lose from agreeing to this. Again, on youtube and spotify, we can look at the music industry model for this (or even tv/movies, which sometimes launch online and generate money that way, examples are things like Channel Awesome). The force of internet piracy has opened this as an option.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

who ARE you and what have you done with the real elfoid?

ps. welcome 'back'.
Zaknafein

Post by Zaknafein »

myth basically IS abandonware, he has a point
God of mapmaking
Undefeated in 1v1 mapmaking competitions
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

What, a guy's not to grow up a bit and learn to be a tad coherant? It's good to be "back" VR, how's things?

I'm aware that suggestion of mine might not work - I'm not an expert on these things by any means. But I do think someone cappable of structuring a decent argument could at least float the question to T2.
Jon God

Post by Jon God »

Surprisingly, that might work, considering.
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: J0N GOD