Fan novel: A Shade of Gray (completed)

Talk about anything here.
Graydon

Re: Fan novel: A Shade of Gray (completed)

Post by Graydon »

Whoops, mistook you the other day then.
Industry

Post by Industry »

Found Shade of Gray Preview. Fool's Claim map is insane. Camera hops up and down, and I didn't know you could have maps that tall.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Would turning off the 'camera follows terrain' switch in Fear fix that?
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

Yes, but it was probably intended to follow the terrain to view some of the high areas.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

I know that's probably the mapmaker's intent. I haven't played the level (that I can remember) so I was just responding the jumping-camera comment.
Jon God

Post by Jon God »

Links to plugin, anyone?
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: J0N GOD
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

if you don't find it by the end of the day let me know and i'll upload it and send you a link.
ThreeTigerSilverWind

Post by ThreeTigerSilverWind »

A-Red--interesting read and a fitting title. Nothing is black-and-white in this version of the Myth world; Phelot is indeed a Shade of gray, as are the the soldiers of the "Light." It was sad when they annihilated the 3rd and those dancing peasants.

SPOILER WARNING:

(1) I had also envisioned a superpowerful Heron in the Empire. But Thirteen Phoenix Rising seems to be more Sith Lord than Jedi Knight; I can see him wearing bloody red Heron armor. If he can defeat two Trow at once, he must have some crazy stats. Btw, how did the the warlocks make him invulnerable to fire and magic when they have not conferred such benefits on themselves?

(2) I think the official naming scheme based on the old calendar works like this: Five Motion Bloody Jaguar, where "Motion Bloody Jaguar" is the name of the year and "Five" is the order in which the warrior became a Heron Guard that year. Thus, the first to become a Heron that year would be named "One Motion Bloody Jaguar" and so on. But such a scheme seems a bit boring--I like the one in your novel better, as it permits some reflection of the individual character of the warrior in his new name.
Tireces

Post by Tireces »

Phelot: Shade of Gray, hehe I remember that plugin, played some early version around 2004 or so.... :)
Here is link to site promoting that unfinished project:
http://nono.com/phelot/top.html

A-Red, Ive just dled your novel, printed it, sat on coach and read first two chapters...
...and Ive completly forgotten that what I read is a fan-fiction and enjoyed myth story greatly... :D
"As long as a single one of us stands..."
A-Red

Post by A-Red »

ThreeTigerSilverWind wrote:Btw, how did the the warlocks make him invulnerable to fire and magic when they have not conferred such benefits on themselves?
Good point. For now, I'm going to pretend I have an answer to that, but want to leave it as a mystery.
ThreeTigerSilverWind wrote: (2) I think the official naming scheme based on the old calendar works like this: Five Motion Bloody Jaguar, where "Motion Bloody Jaguar" is the name of the year and "Five" is the order in which the warrior became a Heron Guard that year. Thus, the first to become a Heron that year would be named "One Motion Bloody Jaguar" and so on. But such a scheme seems a bit boring--I like the one in your novel better, as it permits some reflection of the individual character of the warrior in his new name.
That makes sense too. On the other hand, there are Herons with names that start with higher numbers like Eleven and Fourteen, whereas I'm pretty sure the backstory indicates that either five or seven Herons are initiated at a time.

Glad you enjoyed the story!
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

A different calendar could have more months. Take a look at this page and compare the names with Jman/Heron names listed in the tags in the game.
ThreeTigerSilverWind

A-Red wrote: That makes sense too. On the other hand, there are Herons with names that start with higher numbers like Eleven and Fourteen, whereas I'm pretty sure the backstory indicates that either five or seven Herons are initiated at a time.
I obtained my info from this source (it cites Myth GURPS as its source): http://carnage.bungie.org/myth/asylum/a ... ;read=9223

"Normally there are up to six initiates per tournament, though in wartime there are up to fifteen, and even higher numbers are expected now in the time after Alric's coronation."
Last edited by ThreeTigerSilverWind on Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A-Red

Post by A-Red »

@Pyro: My thinking was that they would follow some sort of lunar calendar, more or less 12 months a year, but the calendar would have cycles of four years (48 months per cycle), or seven years (84 months), or something along those lines. Seven makes the most sense, because the tournaments are said to be septannual (once in seven years), which could be the same as once every Cath Bruig year. That would allow for plenty of different month names. The "months" might even only be two weeks long, ie half of a lunar cycle each--note that none of the Heron names in the game goes higher than Fourteen.

I considered having Seven Star Wolf date his journal entries according to the Cath Bruig calendar, but that would get confusing because it would be a different scheme than Oderic's, and you'd never know when he was actually writing.
Last edited by A-Red on Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A-Red

Post by A-Red »

ThreeTigerSilverWind wrote:"Normally there are up to six initiates per tournament, though in wartime there are up to fifteen, and even higher numbers are expected now in the time after Alric's coronation."
The normal number appears in the Heron flavor text: "less than five." I do think it would be more during times of need, which is why I started with seven--a number that the guys at Bungie seemed to like a lot.
ThreeTigerSilverWind

Here's a snippet from the HG flavor:

“Once every seven years warriors of renown from every corner of the empire gather to compete for the honor of joining the Heron Guard. From that multitude less than six will be chosen...”