So, like, why isn't there a free Myth?

Talk about anything here.
iron
Site Admin

Re: So, like, why isn't there a free Myth?

Post by iron »

I mentioned it merely as something that could be used as a starting point. To turn it into a free Myth, aside from adding Mac support, all the resource building stuff would be stripped out etc, as well as whatever changes are needed to gameplay and scripting code to support mythish unit behaviour & physics, and of course adding the suite of new 3d mythish units.

Not a small job, and it wouldn't end up a myth clone, but it'd be much easier than starting from scratch like Bungie pretty much did, and the end result could be awesome.
...playing as long5hot on War Thunder
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

oh i agree. with the right opensource codebase/libraries a free myth-like game would be a lot easier to create than to build everything from scratch.
Jon God

Post by Jon God »

Unity?

Mac/Pc/Console/browser support. Free.
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: J0N GOD
ducky

Post by ducky »

balls. i did not know that about statutory damages.

well that's it, screw Myth.
Jon God

Post by Jon God »

ducky wrote:balls. i did not know that about statutory damages.

well that's it, screw Myth.
That's no way to think about it. :(

I'll just keep making plugins, 'cause that's what I do.
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: J0N GOD
ducky

Post by ducky »

no, but I think Iron's right. the way to go, aside from praying somebody comes along with a brand new game, is to pray somebody takes a good freeware base and mods it into a myth-like game that's good/fun enough to go viral.

and that's a little more than i'm willing to pray for (much less attempt).
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

you should check out the total war : myth conversion topic. briarsus (sp?) has been working on a Myth TFL mod for Total War that looks ab-so-lutely amazing. he's doing it all himself so it's taking a while, but last i knew he was almost done with creating/modelling/animating all the TFL units - once that is done he was going to open up the project to help create a campaign.

i for one can't wait.
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

As much as I admire Briarius' talent and dedication, the pity of it is that TW is still a commercial game that, like Myth, will decline over time, and furthermore that his mod is just one of many mods for that game.

Btw in my never-ending search for something that may, one day (ok probably never) serve as a starting point for a new free Myth, I've just stumbled over this...

http://wildfiregames.com/0ad/album_imag ... c_id=11979

http://wildfiregames.com/0ad/album_page ... c_id=11842
carlinho

Post by carlinho »

OAD is an amazing game development.
I have the latest demo installed and I check their forums periodically

but fact is, it's a game similar to age of empires, where you need to gather resources, construct buildings, produce units, etc
so it's similar but different...
still, looks amazing, and it's getting better and better.

still the mac version is too difficult to install, for regular joes like me, so I use it on a pc
http://carlinho7.tripod.com
Home of ANCIENT and CLASSICAL GREECE plugin on the works.
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

Absolutely, to me 0AD in terms of gameplay its just another resource building RTS. I'm looking though at astonishingly beautiful terrain & scenery, camera that rotates & pans like Myth, units that you can select & order around, that attack things & have good pathfinding, even blood stains on the mesh (albeit temporary ones).

With so much there as a starting point, I'm very tempted to ask the n00b-ish question "how hard can it be to turn this into Myth"? Take out the resource management, put units on the map ready to fight & et voila?
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

I think the part of Myth that's a bit harder to get right is the physics-based gameplay. Most RTSes don't do any collision detection or things like that... a range unit shoots at something and the damage is unconditionally applied. Of course the Myth code isn't impossible to write or anything, but it's a chunk that wouldn't be in a typical RTS code-base.

Let me also say that as far as graphics stuff goes, that's not terribly difficult (of course I'm somewhat biased with our current team at PM :)). Writing a graphics engine for an RTS is not very difficult, but getting all the tools and everything else right (models, animation, gameplay, etc. particularly if you want a Myth-level of customization!!) is a lot of work.
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

yeah very true, which is why I was only tempted to ask the n00b question - I know better ;)

... though having said that, I did just watch my celtic horseman shoot arrows at a deer, with the missed shots sticking in the ground & the hits killing the deer eventually. Seems they have some degree of physics/collision detection in there.

Yes it'd be a lot of work, but I've always seen that used as a reason not to try. Sometimes it sems as if this community wants Myth to die.
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

Oh no doubt, I'm not saying not to do it. Just as mentioned earlier, in terms of a "clean room" game without any IP concerns, none of the PM team could be directly involved :(
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

punkUser wrote:...none of the PM team could be directly involved :(
or at least not officially.
oogaBooga

Post by oogaBooga »

iron wrote:Sometimes it sems as if this community wants Myth to die.
this