BREAKING NEWS: ElusiveMind Alive And PlayMyth is back

Talk about anything here.
vinylrake

Re: BREAKING NEWS: ElusiveMind Alive

Post by vinylrake »

Pyro wrote:...Though I'd like to know which plugins were supposedly broken by magma's update.
from a postmortem of the 1.5 M2 release, written by one of the PM coders of the 1.5 project.

"Unfortunately, one of the downsides of the Myth II update version 1.4 was that it broke a number of these existing plugins, rendering them unplayable. While not all plugins were affected, since only a subset relied on the functionality that was changed in version 1.4, it was still a significant number and thus something needed to be done about it. In addition, Myth II version 1.4 added a new option - "vTFL gameplay" - which simulated the gameplay of the original Myth: The Fallen Lords within Myth II. However, the "vTFL gameplay" code was added without having access to the original Myth: TFL code that was being simulated - so it was not completely accurate, and even worse: some of those gameplay changes ended up slipping into regular Myth II - something that was not intended to happen. "

and

"With version 1.5, we wanted to revert the gameplay and plugin compatibility of the game to be very close to Myth II 1.3 - Bungie's last update, while still keeping most of the features that made 1.4 great. So we started with the virgin Myth II 1.3 codebase and added, selectively, features from 1.4 that we felt were worth keeping, while leaving the bad ones out, or recoding them in a better way. Since by that time, we were able to get access to original Myth: TFL code, the "vTFL gameplay" feature was completely redone using the actual code from Myth: TFL - and unlike 1.4's attempt - it was cleanly separated from regular Myth II gameplay, so that normal Myth II gameplay would be left unaltered.

In the end, this effort was very successful, as plugins that were unplayable with 1.4 now worked perfectly with Myth II 1.5, and the gameplay of Myth II 1.5 was very similar to that of Myth II 1.3 (differing only in the lack of some of the bugs that were present in Myth II 1.3). "

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/2 ... _myth_.php
Deqlyn

Re: BREAKING NEWS: ElusiveMind Alive And <a href=

Post by Deqlyn »

VR go edit the WSJ!

haha joking. I am curious as to who will get on PlayMyth if this does happen. Also how it could/will increase members to the myth community.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

huh? you mean the big cut and paste? i just figured i was being helpful as i thought some people might be too lazy to go through the ordeal of having to click a link and read something longer than a paragraph.
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

If there's re-rendered M2 units, great.

If not, then nope!
Okay I got the models but now I'm too dumb to do anything with 'em