Project Magma on iPad

Talk about anything here.
spongefile

Re: Project Magma on iPad

Post by spongefile »

As for why they don't talk about it, rumor I heard from someone back in the day, was there was some kinda internal scandal, as for weather that's true or not, I have no clue. All I know is that when myth is brought up, they eventually go: 'oh, right, gotta go, bye' after some conversation.
How incredibly bizarre. Maybe Joe at Take2 bought Myth for a way too high price, and no one wants him to feel bad about it, so it's Never Mentioned Again?

Well, maybe someday there'll be a Take2 employee who is also a big Myth fan, who will be able to personally point out the potential to the right people and get the game out of the ridiculous limbo it's in.
Take 2 didn't seem to care, it wasn't that they were suspicious of anyone really, it took them a while to even realize they owned Myth.
So they don't even know they have it. In these sorts of situations, where a large entity remains oblivious to some small thing that is important to a certain group, people have been known to start petitions and such. Free Myth? Send the CEO an iPad with a Myth demo on it?

If devs were someday willing to make a quick-and-dirty demo for the $6,000 estimated above, I'd be willing to raise the cash to pay for the work. Just so y'all don't say I'm just here whining.
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

I don't think the CEO would want to free Myth if he saw it running awesome on an iPad. Instead, he'd want to monetize it.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

I assume she meant "Free Myth" as in "Free Myth...from the black-hole/limbo it is in now"
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Graydon wrote:You're arguing semantics VR.
I've been told I have a tendency to take things painfully literally, but I wasn't trying argue with you at all, I was trying to understand your post and addressing it as I understood it.

Thank you for explaining.
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

Fair enough. That post should go up on the historical board or something, as a need-to-know for all forum users interacting with you, could sort a lot of seemingly pointless discussion before it even starts :P
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

...or people could choose words that actually convey what they want to say....

smiley-right-back-at-ya.
spongefile

Post by spongefile »

Yeh, I meant "Free" as in Mandela, not as in beer :)
Jon God

Post by Jon God »

spongefile wrote:Yeh, I meant "Free" as in Mandela, not as in beer :)
Anyways, if we can come up with some sorta idea around this predicament we are in, it's not out of the question to try again.
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: J0N GOD
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

In the meantime, if you're the same sponge person that's currently on the M.Net forums with that insanely awesome i-App, you need to hang around here more often and pop on our Hotline to talk. You have incredible talent.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

that's the same sponge, leave it to a newbie coder to create an awesome app, eh?

ps. hotline is a time-suck addiction. don't try to hook people into a chatroom addiction who are actually being productive and creating things. [Not meant to cast aspersions about anyone currently addicted to hotline, or to insinuate that they aren't productive - just saying - it's hard to do anything but chat on HL when you are... chatting on HL.
oogaBooga

Post by oogaBooga »

Myrd wrote:I don't think the CEO would want to free Myth if he saw it running awesome on an iPad. Instead, he'd want to monetize it.
Any good CEO would. It would be nice to think "free myth" is a feasible idea but nobody, and I mean nobody is going to go for it. Business is rough. They want revenue streams, especially ones they don't have to pay for the overhead of (microtransactions for software).
spongefile

Post by spongefile »

Don't know if the app is THAT awesome--just a glorified XML reader at this point. :) Also just got rejected from the App Store--see other thread. Which is another issue to consider...
cimota

Post by cimota »

I've been an infrequent visitor because I just keep tabs on changes here. That said, I love Myth and am obviously indebted to the guys here who keep it going. How else would I while away my precious free time?

I've tried to talk to Take2 and found it incredibly hard to get them to even take my calls which is bizarre because I've dealt with massive media companies before and my last company did deals with DC Warner and NBC Universal. The last person said they wanted a down payment of €100,000 just to even discuss licensing of any properties. I'm down to my last contact...see where that goes!

So, anyway, porting Myth is going to be impossible so instead I'm raising funds to have a real time tactics game created new. I'm terribly unsatisfied with the current crop of RTS and similar games on iPad and wish that there was something out there which answered the call. So, at the moment I've raised a bit of personal finance and have applied for some federal funding (we're lucky in this region) for creation of games and digital content. I'm aiming to raise about £200K ($300,000) with a bit of equity given away. I'm nearly at £80K without losing anything at the moment.

I'm just working on putting together a team of people who will work on it. C++ developers who have a bit of spare time and are not completely burned out by working for the big banks are pretty thin on the ground. :(

No, it won't be Myth. It won't use anything from Myth. But it will, for me, be a spiritual successor.
spongefile

Post by spongefile »

@cimota That sounds awesome. Good luck! If you want UI help/betatesters, I'm in. (I do UX design for web and mobile IRL)
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

@cimota: likewise betatest me up. i don't code C++ (plenty of other languages, just not C++) but if you need any large scale systems/application analysis/design work done i'd be happy to help.