9%
I dont know / I dont play online
No votes

Total votes: 11

Phex

Post by Phex »

Hello everybody.

:evil: Hosting: :evil:

It was always a little problem for some of us, but the effects are becoming more and more aggravating since the community went smaller and smaller. There are situations where two, three, sometimes four or even five players are in one room but cant play together because none of them is able to host.
What I want to ask you is if there actually are possibilities to make (nearly) everybody able to host? May it be a plugin (I do not know if this is a general myth issue or a playmyth matter) or some sort of tutorial how people can configurate their routers or firewalls. This would add a lot more flexibility to online sessions and save long boring times of lobby-couch potatoing.
I personally could host before I got a new router a few months ago. I would be glad if someone could help me and maybe some others who have similar problems. Thank you.

rgds,
Phex.
Archer

Post by Archer »

What are the reasons for people being unable to host? Just firewalls, or something else?

Firewalls are trivial to get around, NATting is mildly more difficult but a one-shot procedure unless IP allocation changes a lot or you want to host from different computers on the subnet. Connection issues cannot be gotten around.

~J
Failure: when your best just isn't good enough.
Doobie
Site Admin

Post by Doobie »

Firewalls are very easy to configure to allowing hosting. Simply forward port 3453 to whatever computer is going to do the hosting. If you don't have access to your firewall, you need to talk to someone who does. If you have college supplied internet, chances are you're out of luck.
Want to play Myth? New and old Myth players can playmyth online at Mariusnet.com.
KyleMaclean.net
Phex

Post by Phex »

OMG!!!! :0

Why did no one tell me that I just have to open port 3453?! I am a network noob, but even I was able to do this...
Thank you, it works now.

Phex.
Doobie
Site Admin

Post by Doobie »

Happy to help
Want to play Myth? New and old Myth players can playmyth online at Mariusnet.com.
KyleMaclean.net
TopGunZ

Post by TopGunZ »

If you're sharing your Internet with someone and you don't control what happens to it, you would foward the port number through the reuter right? Just making sure because last time I did something rather...unfortunate when I messed some cables up... :blush:
"I tried sniffing coke once, but the ice cubes stuck in my nose"
Archer

Post by Archer »

Er, yes. Generally no need at all to touch the cables.

~J
Failure: when your best just isn't good enough.