Myth 2 on ARM

Talk about anything here.
punkUser
Site Admin

Re: Myth 2 on ARM

Post by punkUser »

vinylrake wrote:That WAS before detail textures and hi res units which even some modern full-power computers with integrated GPUs can stutter over, but the basic game was perfectly acceptable on that level of hardware.
Btw "semi-modern" (say sandy bridge/2xxx or newer in Intel terms) integrated graphics can handle dtex, hi-res, aniso filtering, MSAA and extended zoom all while maintaining rates > 60fps. While I don't expect any mobile parts to get near to that, like you said, the basic game is probably doable, perhaps at lower resolutions and 30fps.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

my reference for 'semi-modern' computer was a 3-year old mac-mini or non-pro macbook. both the greek units and the TWindA unit sets brought the framerates to a grinding halt.

but that was circa Myth II 1.7, I know newer versions have greatly improved the display of hi-res units - I just figured it unlikely a $25 computer was going to be any better than either of the above mentioned comps. i could of course be wrong.
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

Right, yeah 1.8 should improve that a fair bit.

But indeed the ARM machines are going to have trouble with some of the higher res stuff. Even just total RAM is going to be a pretty significant limitation for the amount of sprites in modern plugins.
Eddaweaver

Post by Eddaweaver »

So Myth II could run on WinARM afterall
http://www.extremetech.com/computing/14 ... sktop-apps
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

As we've said, it has never really been much of a technical issue (i.e. recompiling for ARM, although that article implies that it's more trivial than it necessarily is - doubt OpenGL works for instance), but more of a political one in that the ARM ecosystems to date are pretty locked down, jail-breaking aside. Android is the most sensible option since it doesn't try to enforce that everything you run came from their store :S

That or just get a proper, non-gimped version of Windows 8 (i.e. not WinRT) and Myth will work just fine today :)
spongefile

Post by spongefile »

How about this? http://www.udoo.org/
:)
Maquis196

Post by Maquis196 »

Pretty old thread to necro, but with the recent purchase of an PI 5, plus the upgraded Pyra (from the OP, so 2nd generation ARM portable).

Thought I'd see if we can get any traction on this?

I'd also be quite happy to get a DEC Alpha port, but without the source code I'm sure the odds on that happening are very slim!

Oh and since the OP was posted, we also have this - https://github.com/ptitSeb/gl4es.

So in theory, box32/box64 + gl4es means we can run myth2 with some emulation.