2022 Myth II install on Mac..issues

A forum for solving problems that might be encountered during installation, updating, or in game.
Arasmus

2022 Myth II install on Mac..issues

Post by Arasmus »

Hey all,

I've got a Mac (Big Sur of Monterey) and I've got a Win/Mac Myth II CD

But the CD is HFS, so the Mac can't read it. hfsutils will let me pretend to mount the disk and I can see files. I can even copy them out.

But I can't do anything that the ProjectMagma installer will believe is a legitimate basis to perform an upgrade. ( Tried a folder "Applications:Myth II:tags:" but the colons are read as "/" and the installer says "nyet" A CD-install is out of the question because the Finder can't mount the disk.

Anyone out there have a solution for this? Please?
Myrd
Site Admin

Re: 2022 Myth II install on Mac..issues

Post by Myrd »

You just need a folder with the tags folder in it (with all the tag files). The installer should let you target that folder for the upgrade.
Arasmus

Post by Arasmus »

Thanks, that's what I'd read. But it's not working and I don't know why. Attached are shots of my setup. Again, any help would be great…
Copy files.png
Copy files.png (147.92 KiB) Viewed 7323 times
Result.png
Result.png (256.73 KiB) Viewed 7323 times
But the 1.8.4 installer just says "You must select an existing Myth II folder."
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Those file sizes look right.

The installer just checks that the "tags" folder is there and contains those files.

The code is literally:

Code: Select all

private static final String[] TAG_FILE_NAMES = new String[] {
	"international small install",
	"international large install",
	"small install",
	"medium install",
	"large install",
};

int count = countTagFiles(tagsFolder, TAG_FILE_NAMES);
	return count == TAG_FILE_NAMES.length;

private static int countTagFiles(File tagsFolder, String[] tagFileNames) {
	int tagFiles = 0;
	for (String file : tagFileNames) {
		File f = new File(tagsFolder.getPath() + "/" + file);
		if (f.exists()) {
			tagFiles++;
		}
	}
	return tagFiles;
}
In other words, for each of the files, it checks if it exists in the tags and if they all do, it considers it a valid folder.

Are you selecting the "Myth II" folder as the destination folder, not the "tags" folder, right? Are you sure file permissions are such that those files are accessible by the installer? What if you copy the Myth II directory to a different location and select that?

EDIT: As a test, I just tried it by creating a new folder called "Myth II" on my desktop and just copying the tags folder into it from my normal Myth II folder and the installer was able to install just fine. Are you sure the filenames match exactly and there are no weird hidden characters in them or something?
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Actually, looking at your screenshots in more detail, it looks like the filenames somehow ended up having underscores instead of spaces in their names?

I'm not sure why... but if you rename and change them back to spaces, I assume it should work?
Arasmus

Post by Arasmus »

Outstanding!

Thanks very much, I've been waiting almost 20 years to replay this game. When the disk arrived early, the day before my birthday I went from the height of hapiness to the depths of dispair over the course of four fruitless hours.

Myrd, you've saved the day.

Not sure why the hsfutils introduced those underscores, but I don't care now!

Thanks again.