Multiple Users on Linux - how?

A forum for solving problems that might be encountered during installation, updating, or in game.
umythedme

Multiple Users on Linux - how?

Post by umythedme »

My kids are finally asking to play Myth with me \o/

But that leads me to a bit of an issue. I have Myth installed in /opt on Manjaro chown'ed to myself. Works fine for me. Prefs etc are also stored in /opt/MythII.

But now I want my kids to be able to play from their own accounts AND ideally have their own prefs so we don't have to enter different user/pass all the time.

I'm thinking of a strategy where each person has their own copy of the executable and prefs etc but the plugins folder is symlinked to a shared folder - currently my plugins folder is 9.4gigs and ideally I don't want to duplicate that per user.

Anyone else had to do this yet?

It's never been so obvious that Myth II was originally built for classic Mac OS and its lack of multiple user accounts!
hmp

Re: Multiple Users on Linux - how?

Post by hmp »

Not on linux, but I do have multiple installs for mapmaking and testing with sym links to shared plugins/tags folders. I haven't encountered any issues.
Point

Post by Point »

holly snapolla I never thought of using an alias plugin folder in all my various myth installs! for plugins... that could be about 15gig of freed up hard drive space!!! unfortunately simply creating an alias folder doesn't seem to work on a mac. The application says the foundation tags are not found. :(
if one does not learn from the failings of the past they are likely to suffer its return.
hmp

Post by hmp »

I dont think alias folders are the same. I think I'm technically using hard links also.
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

umythedme wrote: I'm thinking of a strategy where each person has their own copy of the executable and prefs etc but the plugins folder is symlinked to a shared folder - currently my plugins folder is 9.4gigs and ideally I don't want to duplicate that per user.

Anyone else had to do this yet?
I don't know but it seems like it should work.

Give it a try and let us know :)