HOW TO PROPERLY INSTALL AND UPDATE MYTH 2 (Mac & PC)

A forum for solving problems that might be encountered during installation, updating, or in game.
GodzFire

HOW TO PROPERLY INSTALL AND UPDATE MYTH 2 (Mac & PC)

Post by GodzFire »

How To Properly Install And Update Myth 2 (Mac & PC)

NOTE: If you still have problems after reading this, post your mythlog, hardware specs, etc.

MAC
The Mac installer can update any previous version of Myth II to version 1.7.1 and can also be used to install and update Myth II directly from the original CD

- For the AUTOMATIC install and update, pop in the CD, then open the Myth II 1.7.1 Installer, and choose the first option. Then simply sit back and wait for it to complete. You're all set

- For the MANUAL install and update, pop in the CD and when it spins up open it. You should see a folder called 'Myth II Æ’'. Drag that folder onto your desktop

- Drag the 'tags', 'cutscenes', and 'plugins' folders from the M2 CD into/onto your 'Myth II Æ’' folder. It will say there's already folders in there with the same name. REPLACE them all. This will take a little bit since you're copying 620 MBs

- Remove the two Bungie Web Site docs, SMACKW32.DLL, and network only file; you don't need/want them

- You now have a full install of Myth 2. But you now have to get it updated

- When you download the 1.7.1 installer, choose the second option

- Just follow it's step by step directions. Make SURE you are installing to the proper Myth 2 folder

- After all the updating is done, you can then move the Myth folder to wherever you want and rename it whatever you wish

WINDOWS
To make sure we aren't mixing up other versions or whatever, use Add/Remove Programs to COMPLETELY remove M2 from your system. After that open your "Program Files" folder and check to make sure there isn't a M2 folder or ANYTHING the uninstaller left.

- Pop in the CD and run the installer

- Use the default install path

- When asked for what type of install, use Large Install. Let it do it's thing

- After installation completes and BEFORE opening the game, download and run the M2 Updater (1.7.1 currently)

- Make SURE you are still using the default install path

- Choose which build suits your machine
ImageImage

- Once that completes, you should be just fine with an up to date version of Myth 2

-----------------------------------

One final thing, to get the most of out Myth's graphics capability, make sure you set your Graphics Renderer to OpenGL, with Anisotropic Filtering and Landscape Textures enabled. If you experience any problems running OpenGL, please report it here.
Obelix

Re: HOW TO PROPERLY INSTALL AND UPDATE MYTH 2 (Mac & PC)

Post by Obelix »

You can also download Myth II for free from My Abandonware. That version is probably too old to run, but can be updated with the Project Magma updates.
erileykc

Post by erileykc »

Just tried the manual install process described here without success. I'm installing on a Mac running OS10.11 which won't run the native installer from the CD as its the older 32 bit program. I've actually dragged the entire Myth folder over from a back up of this machine ( long story of trying to hang on to an older Mac with real ports ) onto the newly reformatted drive but Myth wouldn't start from that folder thus my attempt to follow the process described here. Are there pref files or other system files required that I need to install elsewhere on the drive?
Yankee
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

erileykc wrote:Just tried the manual install process described here without success. I'm installing on a Mac running OS10.11 which won't run the native installer from the CD as its the older 32 bit program. I've actually dragged the entire Myth folder over from a back up of this machine ( long story of trying to hang on to an older Mac with real ports ) onto the newly reformatted drive but Myth wouldn't start from that folder thus my attempt to follow the process described here. Are there pref files or other system files required that I need to install elsewhere on the drive?
The 1.8.3 update installer has an option to install from the CD. Have you tried that?
erileykc

Post by erileykc »

Thanks for that pointer, I hadn't noticed that option. Trying that path failed when attempting to install in my original Myth folder on a non-OS portion but installing clean into the Applications folder worked.
Yankee
ElRay70K70H

Post by ElRay70K70H »

When you did this, did you get the 64-bit versions of Fear & Loathing?

I just did the "Install from CD", and the versions of Fear & Loathing are 32-bit. I then did the "Install Mapmaking Tools Only" option, but they're still 32-bit.

Alternately, is there a way to edit the formation tags w/o Fear? I'm not looking to build maps, but to just restore the custom formations I used to use.

Ray

EDIT: On a whim, I delete Fear.app & Loathing.app and reinstalled the mapmaking tools from the 1.8.3 installer, and still got 32-bit versions.

EDIT2: OK. I dug through the General forum. I see the post where Fear & Loathing were not ported to 64-bit. Is there. way to install a 64-bit version of Oak for macOS?
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

Unstickying since the info is outdated and image links are broken