Myth II 1.8.1 Public Beta

Talk about anything here.
Melekor
Site Admin

Re: Myth II 1.8.1 Public Beta

Post by Melekor »

phos wrote:I'm seeing an odd view in my chat room, I don't have any estimated time remaining for games, nor ping.
We removed the metaserver lobby ping function because it so often fails due to modern firewalls. Instead we have a new feature to show pings that are in the game lobby (type .ping to activate). It's only available in the game lobby because the way it works you need to be connected to the host.

The time remaining display was accidentally disabled along with the ping display. Will be fixed in final.
Platinum

Post by Platinum »

Melekor wrote:
Platinum wrote:Just installed and tried 1.8.1 for the first time. First thing I noticed is that windowed mode is now huge (as if running a lower screen resolution). If I make it run full screen, most of the screen is cut off. In windowed mode, the bottom 1" of the Myth screen is cut off. When I'm online, I cannot see what I am typing and the bottom line of text in the lobby.
Sounds like you are running in high-DPI mode on a small monitor. Use the Pixel Zoom menu (see screenshot) to choose a lower zoom level.
pixelzoom.png
That did the trick. Mine was set to 'automatic.' I put it on 100%. Is this going to be an issue with the new version?
phos

Post by phos »

Melekor wrote:
phos wrote:I'm seeing an odd view in my chat room, I don't have any estimated time remaining for games, nor ping.
We removed the metaserver lobby ping function because it so often fails due to modern firewalls. Instead we have a new feature to show pings that are in the game lobby (type .ping to activate). It's only available in the game lobby because the way it works you need to be connected to the host.

The time remaining display was accidentally disabled along with the ping display. Will be fixed in final.
Ok, thanks for the info.
phos

Post by phos »

Bug Report: I started a game with Chaz as autohost and 2 Smoking Guns against me today, and immediately a message appeared at the bottom of the screen saying "[WARNING] Assert encountered! Please submit a bug report with a film of the game." I chose my units to trade, but it didn't let me, and then I couldn't move them once the game started. I noticed that 2 Smoking Guns was able to move his units, apparently, according to the replay.

Screenshot is here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B97-S ... zVtZGVoRkU

Film can be found here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B97-S ... TFqaUZiNWs
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Thanks for all the bug reports everyone! Keep em coming!

We're hoping to address all the issues people find for the next beta or final, so 1.8.1 final can be very solid. :)
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

phos wrote:Bug Report: I started a game with Chaz as autohost and 2 Smoking Guns against me today, and immediately a message appeared at the bottom of the screen saying "[WARNING] Assert encountered! Please submit a bug report with a film of the game." I chose my units to trade, but it didn't let me, and then I couldn't move them once the game started. I noticed that 2 Smoking Guns was able to move his units, apparently, according to the replay.

Screenshot is here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B97-S ... zVtZGVoRkU

Film can be found here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B97-S ... TFqaUZiNWs
Thanks! Looks like this is not a bug new to 1.8.1, although the "Assert Encountered" logging is something new to 1.8.1 beta which helped find this. :) Nevertheless, I think I understand what's going on here and we can get it fixed for the final.

If you're curious, I believe this bug is caused by an internal player id field getting incremented too high (above 127) - which normally doesn't happen I guess since there's not that many players joining a hosted game over its lifetime. But with autohost, I guess it can happen after the 128th player eventually joins the game. This caused an overflow of an internal field that was 1 byte and caused the player number to become -128 instead of 128, causing issues in-game. In 1.8.1, we can fix it so this doesn't happen. :D
phos

Post by phos »

Myrd wrote:
phos wrote:
If you're curious, I believe this bug is caused by an internal player id field getting incremented too high (above 127) - which normally doesn't happen I guess since there's not that many players joining a hosted game over its lifetime. But with autohost, I guess it can happen after the 128th player eventually joins the game. This caused an overflow of an internal field that was 1 byte and caused the player number to become -128 instead of 128, causing issues in-game. In 1.8.1, we can fix it so this doesn't happen. :D
Interesting, thanks for the info. You know, I think this happened to me one other time a few months ago, when 2 Smoking Guns himself was auto-hosting, although no "Assert" message displayed, since of course that was 1.8.0. I remember it was the Flag Rally on For Carnage setting that is part of one of his standard rotations. Thanks for the info, and I hope we can get it fixed and put the bug to rest.

Sincerely,

Phos
Two Smoking Guns

Post by Two Smoking Guns »

Bug REport?

I can't autohost in ranked with 1.8.1. Everything seems fine except that the START
button does not illuminate and I can't press it.

Would still like to autohost, help please.
Two Smoking Guns

In addition to this, I started 1.8.0 and cannot auto host in ranked with it either.

Though I am sure I did it before.

Buehler, Buehler,...
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Once you're in the game lobby as autohost, you don't need to hit start. Game will start automatically once enough players join.
Two Smoking Guns

Thanks but that isn't the problem.

Problem is when I hold down Shift and press the autohost button in the lobby, the Autohost Playlist screen comes up, and then I cannot press the Start button to allow games.
3371-Alpha

Post by 3371-Alpha »

Hello, I've just recently installed your 1.8.1 beta patch and now the Myth 2 app refuses to connect to the Gate of Storms server. I've tried both the PowerPC carbon version & the UB cocoa version. Please help me any way you can. My system specs are bellow.
PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0GHz 2003 (Model: 7,2)
Mac OS X 10.5.8 (Leopard)
7GB RAM (OWC PC-3200U-30330 DDR SDRAM 400MHz)
ATi Radeon 9600 Pro 64MB (GPU overclocked to 438.75MHz, VRAM to 330.75MHz)
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

3371-Alpha wrote:Hello, I've just recently installed your 1.8.1 beta patch and now the Myth 2 app refuses to connect to the Gate of Storms server. I've tried both the PowerPC carbon version & the UB cocoa version. Please help me any way you can. My system specs are bellow.
This is a known issue with the beta on PowerPC macs. We'll fix it for the final.
adrenaline

Post by adrenaline »

Can't see time remaining in games... this is definitely an issue.

Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

adrenaline wrote:Can't see time remaining in games... this is definitely an issue.
Thanks adren. It's a known issue and already been fixed for the final, or a second beta if we decide to do one.