Couple of fear questions...

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
carlinho

Post by carlinho »

So this may sound foolish but:

1)exactly what would i need to change in the prjectile "bowman broke arrow" to make them dissapear after 7 seconds?
I selected in this projectile the lifespan to 7 but nothing happend...

2)Archers on top of a castle wall without enemies around start firing arrows straight up!!....then as if nothing happened, when enemies close by they go normal and shoot at them nicely...?? maybe the height where they are placed?
or the narrow walls? (3 cells)

3)the HIT animation....How can I select a HIT animation for a unit so when it's hit you see that sequence of amber...
in fear the sequences go from standing to run/block...but nothing about HIT...

4)How do you make a unit walk and run ...is there a special key you select during gameplay to make this...is it possible that it has 2 different speeds , one for run and 1 for walk?

Sorry about so many questions...I'm trying to finish in a record time a tagset before I go crazy into real life working madness and can't be weeks trying different stuff to solve it meself...
as usual, THANKS!
carlinho
http://carlinho7.tripod.com
Home of ANCIENT and CLASSICAL GREECE plugin on the works.
lank

Post by lank »

1) "bowman broken arrow" is probably set to become dormant at rest. if it is, uncheck that and it should work fine. if it isn't, then i'm not sure offhand what the problem is. you can probably copy the tag from mazzarin's demise and edit that to suit your purposes, though.

2) that's very odd. under what circumstances, exactly, do they shoot straight up? is there a model nearby, etc...?

3) the "hit" animation is actually called a "flinch". set that and your unit will flinch when hit. you can control how much damage needs to be done before he flinches by setting the flinch fraction in the mons tag (zerks and herons won't flinch for small amounts of damage, for example).

4) you can't make a unit switch between walking and running as simply as that. there's the "charge" feature that was introduced in 1.4, which allows your units to run at a set speed for a certain distance from the target, but that's perhaps not what you want. you can achieve this in 1.5 by making use of the inventory (with a few lines of script on each level to set it up) by allowing the monster to hold multiple artefacts.

create an artefact that overrides the mons tag, and make the replacement identical to your base mons except for speed and walking animation (and maybe other differences to offset the advantage of moving so quickly). place this artefact on your mesh and set up a script to give this to your unit automatically (someone else will have to show you how to do this script, but it should be reasonably easy). when playing, you can press 'i' for inventory and select the running artefact. to walk again, press 'i' and select "none".

if you're on a mac, however, the 1.5 feature is unavailable, as we have no version of fear that will take advantage of 1.5's new features. if you have a pc, or at least have access to one, then you should be ok. otherwise, see if a pc-using friend will help. :)

good luck!
*toot*
carlinho

Post by carlinho »

Thanks lank!

So if you have a pc you can use 1.5 to create that, but you couldn't play then on a mac? or you can use the pc to create it and then you can still play on the mac that thing?
About the archers shooting up...yes..it is really weird...they are on a 3 cell width wall that has on bioth sides of those 3 cells castle wall models, and they keep shooting up when no enemy units are near at all...
at least I'll delete the broken arrows...if not it looks like a trash dump of arrows all around them....hehe
THANKS A LOT!!
you really clarified a lot of things!
carlinho
carlinho

Post by carlinho »

actually lank, reading again your post, I wander:

that charge feature you say available in 1.4....can I make it happen in a mac?
I'm thinking for the hoplite units I'm doing...if before attacking I make them charge for a limited amount of time....that would look really somehting..
is that feature the one you explain with the inventory or it is something different in 1.4??

Thanks!
carlinho
lank

Post by lank »

the charging feature was introduced in 1.4 and you can use fear on either platform to implement it. in the downloads section on this site (somewhere in there) you should find the 1.4 mapmaker's guide, which will direct you on how to use the features.

the 1.5 inventory feature plays on both platforms in myth, but mac users don't have the option (besides hex editing) to implement those features (i.e. we need a new version of fear to edit them, but for various technical reasons it's not as simple as it might sound - we are working on a solution, anyway). if the features only played on 1.5 for pc there'd be little point in having them at all. :)

Edited By lank on 1094355662
*toot*
carlinho

Post by carlinho »

Good point... he he but somehow I got confused with so many updates..and little time to catch up with each one in detail...
Thanks a lot!!!!!!!!
carlinho
Brainbug

Post by Brainbug »

what about the peasants in the solo game?

they start running when they are attacked, is that scripted then?
lank

Post by lank »

particular map actions can be attached to monster tags. just check out the ambient life (deer, hawk, chicken, squirrel) which have particular modes of behaviour. for example, the deer will run if any non-harmless unit is within a certain distance of it.

iirc in level one, the peasants are a different mons tag from the ones placed on level 2, for example. the level one peasants have their run sequence defined as their walking sequence, and they're given a faster base speed.

it'd be quite easy to set them up to run when attacked, though (although it means relinquishing any control unless you can script reasonably fancily).
*toot*
mauglir

Post by mauglir »

Yes, scripting walking and running for AI units is a lot easier than making player controlled units with different speeds.

Ideally, you would have something like: a unit than walked when you left clicked, and ran when you right clicked. Unfortunately, that kind of feature, while simple in concept, is so fundamentally different from the way Myth was made to work that it would pretty necessitate a complete redesign of the game.
Mauglir