Talk about anything here.
Souly

Re: Deadhold

Post by Souly »

We can always port Myth to Deadhold ;)
Garrick

Post by Garrick »

fisj wrote:What kind of presets would you like? I took a look at some of the changes in 1.8. Right now its pretty wide open. I'd love to hear people's thoughts on this.

-fisj
My muscle memory is use to the old alt + number system, but I suppose newer players might prefer the new system. I suppose providing players with the option to choose would be a good idea.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Souly wrote:We can always port Myth to Deadhold ;)
I am guessing not.

The Unreal level editors and other editing tools the devs are using can't be distributed by anyone other than Epic Games. i.e. Games created by devs who have $20/month developer accounts can distribute games and sell them, but devs can't distribute the tools that Epic provides developers to make their games/levels.
fisj

Post by fisj »

@Garrick - Our keybindings use the actionmapping system in U4, so we should be able to offer players the ability to remap most of their keys. We think we have a pretty good default control scheme that's /gasp ... better than Myth. But my thinking is that we'll provide a control scheme option that's tailored for Myth die hards.

(side note: Myth's control scheme gave me RSI* at the age of 17)

@vinylrake - I guess technically, anyone could port Myth to Unreal4 right now. Infact, Master Chief is doing a pretty impressive job on that front already. If you want to mod/build anything in U4, that $20 a month is probably unavoidable - though I hope it's not an insurmountable barrier if we do choose to support modding. Its not a question of desire to support modding, its a question of resources to make it happen.

On a related note ... hoping to have an update in the next three days to show off some progress. /fingers crossed.

-fisj

* Repetitive strain injury
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

I guess technically, anyone could port Myth to Unreal4 right now. Infact, Master Chief is doing a pretty impressive job on that front already.
Additional details on this are definitely needed.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

fisj wrote: @vinylrake - I guess technically, anyone could port Myth to Unreal4 right now. Infact, Master Chief is doing a pretty impressive job on that front already. If you want to mod/build anything in U4, that $20 a month is probably unavoidable - though I hope it's not an insurmountable barrier if we do choose to support modding. Its not a question of desire to support modding, its a question of resources to make it happen.
I realize any paying developer with an unreal license could port Myth to Unreal4, for some reason I interpreted the comment as saying "anyone" (i.e. non-paying-developer) could create mods to turn a game like Deadhold into Myth.

Probably just me misinterpreting.

Curious though - is the Unreal engine flexible enough to support modding? E.g. If the Deadhold file-format were specced out clearly enough (I - perhaps mistakenly - assume there's some stuff in your levels that is unique to Deadhold) could someone else with a developer account create a modded level/campaign that could be loaded/played using the Deadhold 'engine'? Or is that whole framework/mechanism what you were referring to when you said the interest in modding was there but the question is resources?
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

GodzFire wrote:
I guess technically, anyone could port Myth to Unreal4 right now. Infact, Master Chief is doing a pretty impressive job on that front already.
Additional details on this are definitely needed.
Not what you think. Just some guy known as Master Chief in the Myth community messing with models in the Unreal engine.
fisj

Post by fisj »

Sorry I wasn't clear, I meant anyone with the requisite skill, and a current subscription to unreal4. (and arguably the rights to the Myth IP) ;)

Epic is missing some functionality to fully enable mods - the ability to package content in a distributable way (non-patch). I believe this is on their roadmap to address, since they're making UT. Aside from that, assuming distributable packages are possible at some point, I believe this is the way it _could_ work:

1) Deadhold forks vanilla Unreal Engine 4 on github.
2) Myth modders with an active unreal4 subscription get the Deadhold fork from github
3) With the "Deadhold" fork of U4, you develop your mod, with all our custom c++ systems.
4) You package your mod content into a distributable pak file.
5) You throw it on the interwebs for everyone to download and drop into the "plugins" folder in the Deadhold install.

We've been super busy on reaching alpha first playable that we haven't discussed this in a few months, so it's possible my information is out of date. However I believe that's the gist.

-fisj
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Thanks for the (tentatively accurate) explanation Fisj. I am sure if you can snag the interest of Myth modders and there's a way to do it, someone will figure out how to make mods for deadhold.
:) Da Cid (: McCl

Post by :) Da Cid (: McCl »

I would say don't worry too much about modability at such an early stage. We all want a modding community back, but having a modern Myth-style RTS that's great with a vanilla install would be the best thing.

Looks amazing, really looking forward to trying this out.

EDIT: My one tiny little gripe is that the sapper looks way too much like Ziggs from League of Legends. Would hate to see the project get pushed around for copyright issues.
Having fun with poser horses and pasted-on Warrior torsos since 1990!™
fisj

Post by fisj »

New Deadhold Multiplayer Alpha Video:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RmPzEI2R2co

This is a complete rewrite from our original blue mannequin prototype. The core C++ systems are now in place and we have a solid foundation that we can build on.

We're taking a very iterative approach to development and as such, many deadhold systems aren't in or fleshed out yet, and no art is final. We're still a long way off from where we're aiming, but we're happy with where we're at and wanted to start showing off the new stuff. :)

Hope you like the vid!

- fisj
Garrick

Post by Garrick »

That looks good. Seems to be quite a bit more readable than myth. Good pacing.
juliocpaes

Post by juliocpaes »

fisj wrote:New Deadhold Multiplayer Alpha Video:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RmPzEI2R2co

This is a complete rewrite from our original blue mannequin prototype. The core C++ systems are now in place and we have a solid foundation that we can build on.

We're taking a very iterative approach to development and as such, many deadhold systems aren't in or fleshed out yet, and no art is final. We're still a long way off from where we're aiming, but we're happy with where we're at and wanted to start showing off the new stuff. :)

Hope you like the vid!

- fisj
FISJ

DeadHold, it sounds have good playability, graphics are satisfactory, promotes good fun,
at the time of combat, the game could have zoom ? (like press "c" and "v") for we staying admiring the carnage ?

Julio
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

Looking great with the placeholders filled in!

Julio, you can see zooming happening literally within the first 10 seconds of the video :wink:
juliocpaes

Post by juliocpaes »

Melekor wrote:Looking great with the placeholders filled in!

Julio, you can see zooming happening literally within the first 10 seconds of the video :wink:
ok the initial zooming happening was very fast that I did not see, but now yes. i see. :mrgreen: