Compatible Windows 8 Hotline Client

Talk about anything here.
GodzFire

Compatible Windows 8 Hotline Client

Post by GodzFire »

I'm doing this for SoulBlaster since he has problems doing it himself. He can't get any Hotline clients to work with the pile of crap that is Windows 8. I've troubleshooted the best I can with him, trying the Supertracker Edition and Underline, running both normal and in compatibility mode. All he gets for both are blank areas where he GUI should be.

Is anyone running that OS that can recommend a compatible client.
punkUser
Site Admin

Re: Compatible Windows 8 Hotline Client

Post by punkUser »

SuperTracker works fine on Win8... it's basic GDI. By default it doesn't have public chat and such open so you have to click the buttons but otherwise there should be no issues.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

Insulting the operating system of the type of user you need help from is not a good way to ask for help. Try using the OS a bit more before assuming there is a problem with it. But don't fret, SB got the help he needed from someone that didn't give up on him.

The problem was never with the programs he tried or the OS as you might have imagined. Soulblaster just thought the client he was running was broken when the buttons' images were not being displayed. He extracted the zip file's contents, he dragged the exe file to the desktop, and ran it without its data folder in the same directory. This is why the program did not display the images on the buttons. The program still worked and he would have known that if he had been asked to just try it in spite of the images not showing up.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Is this going to go on for a while? Just want to know if I should bother make some popcorn or not.
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

Pyro wrote:But don't fret, SB got the help he needed from someone that didn't give up on him.
Excuse me? Give up on him? Who the hell said I did that? Don't put words in my mouth.

I posted this on behalf of SB because I ran out of troubleshooting ideas for him and needed to find people who run his OS to help. I made fun of W8 because he felt the same way when we were talking.

All that matters to me is that his client works. If it does now, mission accomplished.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

GodzFire wrote:Excuse me? Give up on him? Who the hell said I did that? Don't put words in my mouth.
You are excused. No one is putting words in your mouth. Even if someone wanted to put words in your mouth, they can't. You tend to have your foot in there leaving little room for words.
Omicron

Post by Omicron »

You are all like a bunch of grouchy old women. :|
This message delivered by Interplanetary Telegraph Service
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

Pretty much yeah, but I agree with Pyro's sentiment. Godz thinks everything has something to do with Windows 8/OSes, whereas in reality almost nothing does. Folks who think Windows 8 is very different from Windows 7 (or Vista...) have a very superficial understanding of operating systems (omg start menu no longer there - EVERYTHING IS CHANGED!).

i.e. if you can't diagnose/troubleshoot a problem, don't presume to know what is going wrong.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Omicron wrote:You are all like a bunch of grouchy old women. :|
Take it back! :wink:
Soulblaster

Post by Soulblaster »

Well, I appreciate Godz help trying to make hotline work on my system and also Pyro for figuring out my slight mistake of removing the HL icon from the folder it came with, instead of just creating a shortcut. It's all good now and HL underline client works just fine with windows 8
Soulblaster
juliocpaes

Post by juliocpaes »

Hey Soulblaster ... how long !!!!!!!!! :D

thanks for Myth Home, up grade there . I am your fan !! :)

Julio