links on creation website dead

Talk about anything here.
kingthrall

links on creation website dead

Post by kingthrall »

cant download seventh god, have not checked others but the page is full of errors and I cant host the game for killerking and gatarush cause they cant dl the neccecary plugins. Someone want to fix this?
vinylrake

Re: links on creation website dead

Post by vinylrake »

Those pages aren't hosted or maintained by anyone at the tain - they are hosted at orderofhpak.com. You can go to that site and let Baak'lor know.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

I remember at some point I had a similar issue when downloading TSG as well. Try using a download manager. As I recall, the problem was never with the file but in the download being interrupted. So you might think you have the TSG zip file fully downloaded but you probably do not. Check the file size. On the site it claims the zip file should be 216.4 MB. If your file is smaller then it was not fully downloaded.

As for what download manager, any should do the trick. Something like FlashGet (I chose v1.9 instead of v3.7) for Windows users.
kingthrall

Post by kingthrall »

Pyro wrote:I remember at some point I had a similar issue when downloading TSG as well. Try using a download manager. As I recall, the problem was never with the file but in the download being interrupted. So you might think you have the TSG zip file fully downloaded but you probably do not. Check the file size. On the site it claims the zip file should be 216.4 MB. If your file is smaller then it was not fully downloaded.

As for what download manager, any should do the trick. Something like FlashGet (I chose v1.9 instead of v3.7) for Windows users.
I cant fathom as to why somthing of a mismanaged website full of coding errors upon loading the screen of creation is the sole source for its content. It seems odd that places like Myth Graveyard and even this site doesnt just host the content for the sake of the communitity. Someone should just contact baak for me and tell him to share the content for the sake of the community, cause if his aim for people to play his maps and enjoy them. Then he is surely failing
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

kingthrall wrote:I cant fathom as to why somthing of a mismanaged website full of coding errors upon loading the screen of creation is the sole source for its content. It seems odd that places like Myth Graveyard and even this site doesnt just host the content for the sake of the communitity. Someone should just contact baak for me and tell him to share the content for the sake of the community, cause if his aim for people to play his maps and enjoy them. Then he is surely failing
It isn't Baak's 'fault' that the Creation content isn't on more sites, it's the 'fault' of Creation and current site owners who are trying to respect the wishes of the original mapmakers. Whether you believe people SHOULD care what Creation wanted or not, they were very specific about where their maps could be hosted. You seriously think the people who host the tain don't have the creation maps and couldn't host them here if they wanted to (and didn't care about the mapmaker's hosting restrictions)? You are 100% wrong. As for the MythGraveyard hosting the files? Sure - I have those files - as do dozens or hundreds of other (mostly ex-) players, but the MythGraveyard isn't a file download site so they aren't there.

by the way,

1. The Creation maps aren't Baak's, he has never been a member of Creation and he had nothing to do with making them. He just noticed a few years ago that they weren't hosted anywhere so he got permission to host them - so whether people play them or not doesn't change whether people play HIS maps or not. Baak went out out of his way to get permission to host someone else's maps - for the good of the community - he already had them, hosting them didn't do anything for him.

2. don't be such a lazy ass - if you have a complaint or suggestion or a report of broken links why don't YOU contact Baak instead of complaining that someone else should?
Last edited by vinylrake on Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Besides, the pages aren't full of coding errors. There was a time when there weren't any. Baak is probably busy with other things, so Myth might not be much of a priority for him. The download works as I have stated. Minor annoyance of having to use a download manager but you are better of having one now for other downloads.
kingthrall

Post by kingthrall »

Pyro wrote:Besides, the pages aren't full of coding errors. There was a time when there weren't any. Baak is probably busy with other things, so Myth might not be much of a priority for him. The download works as I have stated. Minor annoyance of having to use a download manager but you are better of having one now for other downloads.
Firstly I dont have an issue, I already had the plugins as I said it was for other users benifit and of the mything commuinity. I have zip manager software already.

secondly I know Baak isnt a member of creation, yet you said to refer the matter to him

Thirdly I am a lazy ass, its not my issue I have the plugins installed as ive already said but considering you have the means at your disposal to correct the issue faster rate than I ever could it seems prudent that I inform you. You have contacts, friends who can contact friends though the myth map-making comminity. you also have a very used resource called the tain where public information can be read from yourself and perchance the creation community. Hence the post.

Finnaly, I dislike the fact that you think that I do not recognise the ownership rights to the content. I am familiar with it and perhaps more so than yours truly in the idea of mapmaking content through blizzards system.

Yet at the same time this is the internet we are talking about, and for that matter a game that is 13 years old. I can not seriously think of anything more stupid than to subjegate plugin and mapmaking content to what is precieved to be some sort of dilusional honor system however justified it is.

Thats all I have to say on the matter, You can mail me on Gate of Storms if you are desperate enough for further communication.
Baak

Post by Baak »

After being away for quite a while on the road I did a once through on the Creation Mirror of the OoH site. There were some simple-to-fix PHP errors related to updates on the hosting company's server (the original code has some legacy stuff floating around).

Also the hosting company was throwing minor fits regarding the large directory tree structure of all the hosted files, etc., so needed to calm them down and explain what was what. All good now.

Just tested the download via Firefox on the PC and it worked fine. Have not tried on Mac OS/X but please lmk (via a PM here) if you are still having problems.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

kingthrall wrote:Finnaly, I dislike the fact that you think that I do not recognise the ownership rights to the content. I am familiar with it and perhaps more so than yours truly in the idea of mapmaking content through blizzards system.
You can dislike whatever you want, but when you say that someone should contact Baak (a person who had nothing to do with creating the content or it's 'licensing agreement' but who HAS BEEN sharing that content for years with the community) and "tell him to share the content for the sake of the community" I think it's reasonable to assume you might be a little confused about who is responsible for what.

Also - I don't understand how it's even relevant, but if you want to believe your Blizzard mapmaking experience makes you an authority about who made which Myth II maps, then good for you.
Baak

Post by Baak »

kingthrall wrote: I cant fathom as to why somthing of a mismanaged website full of coding errors upon loading the screen of creation is the sole source for its content. It seems odd that places like Myth Graveyard and even this site doesnt just host the content for the sake of the communitity. Someone should just contact baak for me and tell him to share the content for the sake of the community, cause if his aim for people to play his maps and enjoy them. Then he is surely failing
As a side note: The Creation Mirror only had the coding notices popup recently (within the past few months), which is somewhat amazing since I have not touched anything since I originally reworked the very old original code to mirror it - almost five years ago. And believe it or not, the coding notices did not break anything on the page - they are simply pointing out old API calls that became deprecated as PHP versions at the hosting company were upgraded (yes, it's been there that long). If they had been hidden (which they should have been) you would have never even known about them. So until/if you translate someone else's 10-year-old website into your own and host it, you might want to start off your requests in a more courteous manner. :)

Since the TSG plugin has had 1593 successful downloads over almost five years, I would say you should get a d/l manager. The way the OoH downloads work is they count successful downloads only, not just clicks. I would be interested to know what O/S and browser you had problems with, or if you are just on a problematic/slow connection, so I can look into fixing a problem if one exists.

Lastly, instead of posting here asking someone else to contact me, why don't you just PM me yourself? Is that too hard or something? Heck there's a line right at the top of every Creation page with two links to contact me. That way you could be proactive and tell me there is a problem in the first place. Simple, yes? :)

As far as where the Creation stuff should be posted, etc., etc., I approached Clem in 2007 asking if I could mirror his and Creation's stuff - he agreed provided I did not post it outside an OoH website. This was his condition, not mine. I agreed so that we (the Myth Community) could have access to it all and I wanted to see if I could preserve the original websites in a mirror, since so much Myth stuff keeps disappearing over time.

I've seen a few discussions on this topic over the years and I understand that Clem may not be "the" spokesperson for Creation but he was the only person who got back to me over literally months of trying to get any info on the topic at the time, which is why it happened the way it did. He had all the website code, etc., and got it to me. Several hours/days later I had integrated the Creation, Clemapalooza, and TSG sites into a mirror on the OoH site. It definitely wasn't as simple as copy/paste or anything.

Magma has been good enough to honor this request as well and thus the external links to the "Mirror of Creation" on the OoH site.

So again, let me know what O/S and browser you (or your friends) were using that had problems and I will look into it. I don't want anybody having problems/issues with the OoH or Creation stuff - I just need to know when/if there is a problem and I will look into it.

Sound good? :)
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

Well said Baak. Btw I also had to use a download manager to get the TSG zip to successfully complete, which is pretty unusual for me. (FF 21, 32 bit, Win7x64 if that matters). Multiple people seeing the same issue suggests it might be server side. Also the .7z link seems to give me a 404 D'OoH error :wink:
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Baak wrote:Also the hosting company was throwing minor fits regarding the large directory tree structure of all the hosted files, etc., so needed to calm them down and explain what was what. All good now.
I can't be sure as what Baak says here isn't clear, but maybe he means he fixed the issue with the downloads being interrupted? I haven't tried re-downloading TSG since this thread was made though.
Baak

Post by Baak »

The .7z version vanished (no idea why). It could be when the page was whacked it caused problems, but my guess is when the hosting company was "reviewing" the site they had issues with the download processor (this was an issue once upon a time). Should be ok now.

Just in case I unzipped the archive and rezipped using info-zip (should be compatible everywhere but we shall see). I also 7-zipped it. Uploaded both just now and confirmed the links start the download process.

Anyone feel free to let me know if they have problems with anything on the OoH site or Creation/Cleamapalooza/TSG Mirrors. I definitely don't like things not working - just need a head's up.

Cheers all! 8)
--Baak

P.S. I noticed the zip I had on the Mirror contains the plugin "The Seventh Godblighter v1.0" as well as the TSG plugins (the one from the Addicts did not). I created an extra readme for it since the original was still talking about tweaking the Patches, etc. I believe this is replaces standard units in the solo with TSG units. Will have to play this sometime. Heck, if I ever get a chance to do some plugins again I'll see about making a TSG Anywhere - there were a couple other tagsets I had my eye on including this one.
Surlythrall

Post by Surlythrall »

Is anyone else having issues running TSG 1.4 under Myth II 1.8 and 1.72?
I re-downloaded several times but seem to get errors unzipping, can still get a 300 mb Levels file and the tagset but these don't appear in the game
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

What is the file size of the TSG zip you got? It should match what it says on the site.