Limits in colormaps and loathing

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
Buck Mild

Limits in colormaps and loathing

Post by Buck Mild »

Hey guys,

I was wondering if limits have been changed since I was here last.

What are the maximum amount of colors you can use on a CMAP?

Max size (dimensions) of a CMAP?

Max # of units on a map (visible at once, without script aid)
paladin MAIK

Re: Limits in colormaps and loathing

Post by paladin MAIK »

Hi Buck Mild.

As far as I know the maximum 256 colors, and maybe more I do not know.

The largest size I've seen it in the HWD - 2048x1792

Maximum number of units = 400 :|
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

Max colors for colormap is still 256 total, but you should index to 240 or 245 so the rest are used for mesh stains.

Max map size is ... I don't recall this one. I know it is really really big.

Max visible units is still 400.
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

Pyro wrote:Max map size is ... I don't recall this one. I know it is really really big.
There is no hard limit to the cmap dimensions, but myth is a 32 bit process so the colormap and everything else together needs to fit in 2GB. With that in mind, I'm pretty sure that 12800x12800 is doable, and possibly a bit larger.
Point

Post by Point »

240 colors and can be 256 colors if your color map includes all the colors that would be used in mesh stains... (blood, explosions, etc...)

map size no longer has a coded limit which crashed out at 2560x2560 previously though the size still must be evenly divisible by 256 pixels

400 units max visible at one time on map

many other limits have also been increased since the old days of 1.3 Check the current mesh limits in the version of loathing you are using..... they should reflect the limit that loathing will currently allow you to put on the mesh.... (even if myth 1.8 may allow more.. )

Artifacts
Map actions
monster definitions
unit definitions

happy mything fearing and loathing... ALSO if your MAKING a MAP Get a copy of OAK from MELEKOR ... with it you can detail texture your map and easily edit things like overheads pregames and text strings
if one does not learn from the failings of the past they are likely to suffer its return.
juliocpaes

Post by juliocpaes »

has a plugin named "WWII santa's head - long way to walk". whose color map has the following dimensions :
Width 4096 pixels and height 512 pixels. :wink: who know this link, please post here.

Julio
Buck Mild

Post by Buck Mild »

Thanks for the info guys, and yes I would love a copy of oak. Is it finished now? I remember seeing screenshots back in the day.

Also, is it possible to increase the color count now with a new patch? I know making a map with a color palette is an art from of its own but it would still be nice to have.