Spiteful Negative Review Spam

A forum for dicussing all matters related to the tain.
Zaknafein

Spiteful Negative Review Spam

Post by Zaknafein »

So someone has spammed the same review 4 times on different maps I recently uploaded to the tain, without saying anything about the particular plugin he is reviewing. Instead he chose to attack my style of plugins as a whole, and is giving my plugins a negative review because he did not enjoy COMPLETELY UNRELATED plugins.

This is the kind of behavior that had me banned from the tain and the forums for months. Will we see a similar infraction here?
God of mapmaking
Undefeated in 1v1 mapmaking competitions
Zaknafein

Re: Spiteful Negative Review Spam

Post by Zaknafein »

Also I apologize if thats actually Ares, but I am pretty sure judging from the writing style thats Toecutter (dummying as Ares, a legitimate mapmaker) writing these reviews.

Toecutter has been blatantly and pathologically lying about me for over a year now, and his smear campaign has finally hit the tain (a place where it does not belong). Now he's impersonating other mythers to do it. Not that impersonating other mythers is a new behavior for him.
Last edited by Zaknafein on Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
God of mapmaking
Zaknafein

Post by Zaknafein »

As I write this he is spamming the same review on maps that HAVE been tested, and were used in The Winter Series 2 team tournament (All That Remains T.E. , and Vertigo T.E.).
God of mapmaking
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Zaknafein wrote:... Now he's impersonating other mythers to do it. Not that impersonating other mythers is a new behavior for him.
While I think your anger at unfair/spam "reviews" of maps is appropriate, and strongly agree that there should be some way to reduce or weed out obviously non-map-quality (personality-based) 'reviews', it strikes me that your predicament of being inconvenienced by dummy accounts is not without a large dose of irony. The concept of "karma" also comes to mind for some reason.

But this isn't a personal attack, I completely agree that personal vendetta/spiteful 'reviews' have no place on the tain.

(Unless of course the the Ares dummy account that made the attacks is an account you created to get Toe banned from the Magma forums in revenge for his attacks on you on other sites.)
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

Maybe this user was not a systematic abuser, maybe he was a myther who looked at each Zak map before he rated them. Maybe his reviews have saved someone a lot of trouble. His idea of what is fun is certainly different than yours. He was merely stating his opinion, which is the purpose of allowing ANYONE to write any review they want.

Okay, that last paragraph was more of a joke as I was just paraphrasing something Zak once said. This does seem quite ironic not just for the potential dummy account usage but for requesting to take down negative reviews given Zak's stance on it. And before you say it, Zak, yes this isn't exactly the same thing, but its similar.

Maybe he just didn't like that you placed it under a group name instead of yourself, among other things. Whoever this Aries person is (not Ares, its Aries), they made that account 2 days ago. While Aries may have a point, it does seem more of an attack towards Zak than something specific about the plugin being reviewed. Specially, given how its just copy/pasted to other recent Zak items.
Zaknafein

Post by Zaknafein »

Pyro wrote: Whoever this Aries person is (not Ares, its Aries), they made that account 2 days ago. While Aries may have a point, it does seem more of an attack towards Zak than something specific about the plugin being reviewed. Specially, given how its just copy/pasted to other recent Zak items.
These reviews are still up, I assume toecutter will have his review removed and receive some sort of infraction?
God of mapmaking
Olong2

Post by Olong2 »

Don't know who "Aries" is, but my God was he spot on. His reviews of the "mapspam" were almost scholarly in detail and accuracy. I've seen a lot written about these ridiculous bastardized maps, but Aries, the dear man, takes the prize for depth, observation, and study. He's a giant. And, he's a hero.
bluseychris2

Post by bluseychris2 »

Aries/Ares used to map with groups like Creation back in the day. Zak's map are bad hacks of other maps and the upload info makes it look like he's done serious work on it when he hasn't.

I uploaded the old ADT stuff in one plug years ago because Strangelet originally dumped it as a zip full of files on The Mill due to it crashing Myth back in the day. Thing is, all I did was compile into a plugin and the credit was given to Strangelet and rightly so, it's his plugin with his bits (I think it's listed as ADT 1.3 on the DL section). Still didn't stop some kid emailing me for support when he had gone through and deleted files on his PC that he shouldn't have and blaming the plugin.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

We don't know if its the same user, as the names are spelling differently. Also, it's been a long time since Ares was around, as far as I know.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Pyro wrote:We don't know if its the same user, as the names are spelling differently. Also, it's been a long time since Ares was around, as far as I know.
The tone of 'Aries' doesn't sound anything like 'Ares'. Probably someone just used the name in an attempt to lend some cred to his comments, or just to try to stir up some controversy. Or both.
Zaknafein

Post by Zaknafein »

Olong2 wrote:Don't know who "Aries" is, but my God was he spot on. His reviews of the "mapspam" were almost scholarly in detail and accuracy. I've seen a lot written about these ridiculous bastardized maps, but Aries, the dear man, takes the prize for depth, observation, and study. He's a giant. And, he's a hero.
Its funny because the only changes I made to the maps were to change unit trades or fix bugs left by the original makers! Seeing as you just admitted you haven't actually played the maps you can shut the fuck up, thanks :D
bluseychris2 wrote:Aries/Ares used to map with groups like Creation back in the day. Zak's map are bad hacks of other maps and the upload info makes it look like he's done serious work on it when he hasn't.
What would you know about my work, little boy?
God of mapmaking
Zaknafein

Post by Zaknafein »

Pyro wrote:We don't know if its the same user, as the names are spelling differently. Also, it's been a long time since Ares was around, as far as I know.
Its obvious that toecutter wrote the reviews, and the fact he's allowed to write these kind of reviews (without them being deleted or him being punished) after I just got a several month long ban for doing something far less extreme, is pretty messed up.

Its okay I recognize that many people on here are biased against the zak "brand" and the products I release. Its a shame that they can't just accept that the majority of mythers don't want to play co-op, or some high res version of ww2/b&g.
God of mapmaking
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

Zaknafein wrote:Seeing as you just admitted you haven't actually played the maps you can shut the fuck up, thanks :D
Watch your language or you are going to get banned.
Zaknafein

Post by Zaknafein »

God of mapmaking
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

How is this relevant now? It's not. Instead of actually trying to address the issues that were raised about your plugins, like a mature person would do, you reply with something like this.