Myth II 1.8.0 Public Beta 2

Talk about anything here.
Melekor
Site Admin

Myth II 1.8.0 Public Beta 2

Post by Melekor »

The second public beta of Myth II 1.8.0 has arrived, containing fixes for issues found in the first beta.

Download here: http://tain.totalcodex.net/items/show/m ... lic-beta-2
Read what's changed: http://www.projectmagma.net/projects/my ... -Brief.txt
Watch the 1.8.0 Promo Video!

Everyone is encouraged to install the beta, and help test the next version of Myth II. This will be the final beta of 1.8.0, so it's especially important that people report any issues they want fixed.

Please post all bug reports regarding Myth II 1.8.0 in this thread.
Mılk Man

Re: Myth II 1.8.0 Public Beta 2

Post by Mılk Man »

So, when you host fetchball the game still shows up as "Bob" in lobby.

This also happens for somes meshes of the ffa league pack.

Is this bug unfixable or something?
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

Was this bug reported (link)? The "ERROR" bug was fixed, but is this something else?
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

It is a metaserver thing and is not new to 1.8. The metaserver renames games when it encounters special characters in the string of the map name. I think Fetchball has a character added to a font tag to give it a "Vista" logo right in front of "Fetchball". By default that character slot is not used by the game so using it might confuse the metaserver I suppose. Fetchball also uses the "TM" character, so if it isn't the vista logo its that one.

As for the ffa league pack, it probably has a similar issue, but we would need to know which maps you have encountered with this and then we can figure out why those. Either way its a metaserver side thing. I don't know if changes to the update can somehow help in those cases.
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

Ah interesting, so the plugin itself is using a custom font/image for some special characters? I wonder how that behaves on - uhh - alternate metaservers which assume everything is Mac Roman characters ;)
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Well Fetchball does have a custom font, but that ffa pack does not. Something about certain maps Mnet does not like. I wouldn't worry about other servers, this was strickly a Mnet thing done on purpose. Don't know why they did it, but they did.

Anyways I figure Milkman wasn't going to track down these maps as I had asked him over at the gjol at some point. I looked into it and found that only these ffa league pack maps have that symptom.
Mixed Blessings (Dark)
Mixed Blessings (Light)
- Heart of Darkness (Dark)
- Heart of Darkness (Light)
Bleak Spaces (Proving Grounds)
Bleak Spaces (Venice)
Bleak Spaces (Gimble)
Tallow Abbey (Light)
Tallow Abbey (Dark)
Sticks and Stones (Dark)
Sticks and Stones (Light)
A Place to Stand (Dark)
A Place to Stand (Light)
A Place to Stand (Undead)
- Heart of Darkness (Undead)
Maybe its more than just something in the string as these don't appear to be using any special characters. Perhaps something in their mesh tag that Mnet doesn't like. Best way to test which maps have this is using 2 clients. One to host and one to see from the lobby. If the lobby client has the plugin then only the game name is changed to "Bob". If the client doesn't have the plugin then the map name appears as "Team Haxor".
bigbro

Post by bigbro »

Hey,

Sorry I foolishly opened a new thread in the tech support board for this issue. feel free to lock or delete it

I'm experiencing weird and erratic camera behavior in 1.8 beta 2. I don't remember having that problem in any other version - and didn't manage to reproduce it in 1.7.2, for the record.
Camera rotation has become totally inconsistent. My using screen corners or keyboard to rotate often results in the camera rotating indefinitely. At other times keyboard shortcuts won't do anything at all. Or for instance when I press E to rotate the screen counter-clockwise, it begins rotating clockwise and won't stop until I move the mouse around - it lasts for a few seconds.
All those differents issues can be experienced during a single game. I tried again this morning and have absolutely no trouble reproducing this erratic behavior, moving around the camera a bit is enough to trigger it.
thanks for your work,
let me know which informations would be useful about my setup for such an issue
bigb
carnage99

Bug report: Myth II 1.8.0 Public Beta 2

Post by carnage99 »

With 1.8 Beta 2 (newer Mac) I see black rectangles where my units are. If I move the camera one or two units may draw correctly, but the majority are failing to render. This happens with regular and plugin maps/units
Attachments
Screen Shot 2013-05-09 at 7.04.02 AM.png
Screen Shot 2013-05-09 at 7.04.02 AM.png (71.36 KiB) Viewed 15674 times
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

bigbro wrote: let me know which informations would be useful about my setup for such an issue
To start with, what operating system and computer specs (just basic info) are you using? I see that you're a private tester... could you let us know which build (400-420) this broke on? i.e. can you reproduce it in 400? If not, where did it start to not work?.

Thanks in advance.
punkUser
Site Admin

Re: Bug report: Myth II 1.8.0 Public Beta 2

Post by punkUser »

carnage99 wrote:With 1.8 Beta 2 (newer Mac) I see black rectangles where my units are. If I move the camera one or two units may draw correctly, but the majority are failing to render. This happens with regular and plugin maps/units
Could you post your myth log after playing a map?
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

Pyro wrote: Maybe its more than just something in the string as these don't appear to be using any special characters.
Yeah I checked one or two and it seems like there's some odd character in the front of some of these strings - probably something unprintable so Myth ignores it but it gets sent around in all the strings to the metaserver, etc.

i.e. would need to be fixed in the plugin milk.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

punkUser wrote:...there's some odd character in the front of some of these strings...
Ah. It makes sense now. They make use of a character that is not included in the standard font tags of the game. Enable the Jinn Interface (which has its own font tags) and take a look at those map names again to see what I mean. This seems to be something Vista Cartel did with many of their maps.

Anyways, I made an omnipatch to fix it for the "ffaleaguemappackv1" plugin. The modified file is compatible with the original. Anyone hosting will want their file fixed. Read the included readme.
carnage99

Re: Bug report: Myth II 1.8.0 Public Beta 2

Post by carnage99 »

punkUser wrote:
carnage99 wrote:With 1.8 Beta 2 (newer Mac) I see black rectangles where my units are. If I move the camera one or two units may draw correctly, but the majority are failing to render. This happens with regular and plugin maps/units
Could you post your myth log after playing a map?
Here is the log.
Attachments
myth_log.txt
(1.24 KiB) Downloaded 752 times
Soukie

Post by Soukie »

Pyro wrote:
punkUser wrote:...there's some odd character in the front of some of these strings...
Ah. It makes sense now. They make use of a character that is not included in the standard font tags of the game. Enable the Jinn Interface (which has its own font tags) and take a look at those map names again to see what I mean. This seems to be something Vista Cartel did with many of their maps.

Anyways, I made an omnipatch to fix it for the "ffaleaguemappackv1" plugin. The modified file is compatible with the original. Anyone hosting will want their file fixed. Read the included readme.
So I downloaded it because you were on playing it. But, it seems that to play it takes alot of tech work. I am sorry I wish I could have joined.
bigbro

Post by bigbro »

About the inconsistent camera bug :

I eventually had the opportunity to revert to build 400, and I didn't manage to reproduce that erratic camera bug in that build. As I said, I don't remember getting that bug in any previous version.
I'll test some more builds over the weekend
My setup : Core 2 Duo, Mac OS 10.6.8