WOW..Jinn is popular?

Talk about anything here.
ozone

WOW..Jinn is popular?

Post by ozone »

Seems to have been downloaded 6 times a day for 8 years straight. Something seems a bit odd about this. I mean 17594 downloads?

JINN on the Tain

:shock:
do it.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Re: WOW..Jinn is popular?

Post by Pyro »

Yeah, there are other files that have way more downloads than they probably really have. It would be good to alter the Tain to only count completed downloads.
juliocpaes

Post by juliocpaes »

I think that data isn't being recorded by the system. It's possible that the download counts are inflated by web crawlers (robots) that are scanning the site.

Julio
Eddaweaver

Post by Eddaweaver »

Only a tiny minority of patch downloaders play the game online. The rest do solo and Jinn is a solo level pack.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

Of course, but this is not the reason for the huge download counter or you would notice similar download counts for other plugins. Compare the download counters for Jinn in the "Most Downloads" section on these 2 links that recorded the page on these 2 dates.

March 13, 2011
April 14, 2011
Olong2

Post by Olong2 »

Does anyone know exactly what triggers the software to register a download? I see many such odd numbers around The Tain.
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Olong2 wrote:Does anyone know exactly what triggers the software to register a download? I see many such odd numbers around The Tain.
Visiting the URL to download a file triggers it. I don't think it's easy to change the code to detect if a download actually succeeded (especially since some browsers may support pausing and resuming downloads and such...)

However, we may be able to prevent incrementing from web crawlers by either user agent detection or via robots.txt.

EDIT: I've made a change that should prevent web crawlers from incrementing those counts.
Point

Post by Point »

people probably think Jinn refers to some other game ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9NFuMiy53o
if one does not learn from the failings of the past they are likely to suffer its return.