Talk about anything here.
ozone

Re: Myth Kickstarter Project

Post by ozone »

do it.
Anti

Post by Anti »

Actually, the second vid is up. Check the updates tab. 5 days and just need $449,000 bucks.
DarthRevan555

Post by DarthRevan555 »

Vidoe answered zero questions besides that they need the money to buy the rights and to fund their life "We need food and rent"

Oh and to make it sound like they're the masters of their craft.

Oh well.

Moving on now.
Insert text here.
Divine entity of map making.
Undefeated god of 1v1 map making contests that have yet to happen.
Insert massive ego here

Someone tell this guy to stop having so many signatures
toecutter

Post by toecutter »

Anti wrote:Actually, the second vid is up. Check the updates tab. 5 days and just need $449,000 bucks.
Yeah, they are jammin' now. They can get spectacularly close! If you consider their current take (OVER ONE-THOUSAND!!!) that they got in ONLY 10 days and they can just get quadruple those pledges in the next 5 days... they will have 1% of their goal!!
Awesome-sauce all around for the mythstarter team!!!
If they QUADRUPLE the cash made in the first 10 days during the last 5 days, they can achieve 1% of their goal!!! Yeah, baby! WHo's rockin' now? Who is cookin' with gas now, mofos? That's right, yo! MYTHSTARTERS!!!
A static 3-d rendering of a trow and one of a wight are almost an entirely new game, they have attacks scripted, particles and ambient life, as well... don't front on the guru, yo!
1%!
1%!
1%!
1%!
1%!
1%!
1%!
1%!...
c'mon guys, you aren't chanting!

edit: actually the video did NOT address ANY of the questions put forth in either thread, nor did it lay out a budget or tell how the funds would be used other than to allow renwood to live and eat without getting a job. All the footage was the regular myth 2 game, as were any units shown in actual play. There is NOTHING new in this video. It doesn't answer anything. It is pathetic, and that is the most kind description available for you guys.

edit 2: trying to bring some levity into the void of awkward pity spawned by the second video, come on.
Last edited by toecutter on Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
toe
toecutter

Post by toecutter »

OK,edited for the taste level...
(it was a gif animation of oogs stroking road's rotating trow model)
and yes, it was the one thing in this thread worthy of being ashamed of.
All other harsh criticisms and attempts at infusing some real-life based perspective into the poor saps' deluded reality notwithstanding.

I do feel sorry for them after that second video, especially road.
I understand the horror some naive folks may exhibit at THE BLUNTNESS of my sarcasm and visual summary of the truth of that entire train wreck in one gif.

Asking the internet for half a million dollars to be able to make a living while enjoying your favourite hobby just requires a little more panache and professionalism, and a bit less smug indignation.
I take no satisfaction in being able to say "I told you so".
It sickens me,
more than the gif of ooga polishing a trow in his crotch sickens you.
Last edited by toecutter on Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
toe
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Way to bring down the reasonably intelligent conversation and live down to everyone's worst stereotypes of the myth community as a bitter haters.

You obviously felt there was a dearth of rancor and bitterness in this topic and felt you had no choice but to make the self-sacrifice of throwing yourself into the emptyness of that gaping hole. Of course now, you are indistinguishable from ahole, but I guess that's the price you pay for being so selfless.

Well done.
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

Can an admin please delete toe's post.That's just really poor taste.
toecutter

Post by toecutter »

GodzFire wrote:Can an admin please delete toe's post.That's just really poor taste.
Oh for [expletive]'s sake.
You piggyback that onto VR's post?
Seriously?
toe
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

toe, there's a difference. there's been plenty of questions asked and various aspects of the project have been discussed and plenty of skepticism expressed at the lack of information provided, but all you are doing is mocking the project team because they aren't going to meet their goal.

to what end? to gloat? because you don't like the individuals? because you think you have some golden truth and are the only one who sees that they aren't going to meet their goal so feel it's your responsibility to illuminate us all with that information conveyed in the most condescending school-yard humiliating and bullying way you can think of?

grow up, or at least shut up if that's all you have to offer.
:) Da Cid (: McCl

Post by :) Da Cid (: McCl »

1. How much will the "game" cost once it's completed?
2. How much does the license cost?
3. If you have a budget, as stated in the video, why are you so reluctant to give us details about it?

I mean, in all honesty you have absolutely no reason to show US specifically any of this information, because we're not going to push you over $450,000. But if you want people to fund you, you have to say more than "we're going to spend all the money on food and rent".

And honestly, your video polish leaves a hell of a lot to be desired. I'm really not trying to be mean, but you constantly cut away from people while they were talking and, while talking about how good you are at tricking the Myth engine and making it do what you want, you had footage of the framerate dropping considerably under your changes. I don't care if it's just "alpha footage" or whatever, you're showing this video to people who you want to give you money, you can't fucking show them your game has stability issues and you're too shortsighted to cut it out of your video.

It took you six days to put that together when you only had ten days to fund the project. You now have four days and gave us barely any information in that video. It's like you've forgotten that a forum is actually a form of text communication and you could just come here and answer some questions instead of spending six days on a video that answers pretty much nothing.

I would love to see either of you come on here and just answer some questions without using the straw man that is projectmagma's legality. Just answer some questions and concerns.

I mean at this point I don't care because no amount of question answering will fund the project, but it'd be nice to know you guys aren't completely blind to a community that cares just a little bit about what you're doing (we're probably the community that cares the most; have you been reading the MWC forums thread about this?)

Last but not least, from a video editor's standpoint, I can't count the amount of things wrong with this frame of your video. But that's just me being a dick.

EDIT: Just skimmed over the kickstarter comments page.
We believe in our team's current and past work as shown in the video, and it speaks for itself in terms of what we can accomplish as a dev team. With propper funding, we really can make Myth as cutting edge and genre leading as it should be now, and has been in the past.
Sorry, it really doesn't. Mazzarin's Demise looks like more of a new game than what you've shown us. Your gameplay footage looks like a mod and you're pointing to that as proof you can make a brand new Myth game. One of your other comments on the page cites an unreleased Marathon TC as being proof of your abilities. That's not proof either.

For your next Kickstarter drive, I suggest you look at some other Kickstarters and take some pointers; ie. show some substantial NEW gameplay footage, give more information than you think people will even need, give us some indication on what the campaign is actually going to be like, and stop implying that you're the last talented Myth modders left and you deserve to be funded.
Last edited by :) Da Cid (: McCl on Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Having fun with poser horses and pasted-on Warrior torsos since 1990!™
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

I might create a Kickstarter campaign to be able to afford the top level perk of this campaign.

In all seriousness though, I can only form vague opinions of this 2nd video because it's (still) kind of vague. I can understand that one tricky aspect of a project like this would be that you want to keep some information secret - having everyone in the community knowing everything about your game before it's even made would ruin a lot of the fun and surprises - but at the same time, investors usually have this peculiar desire to know where their money is going. A project like this might find funding purely out of altruism and an attitude of 'well I trust them with my money, it'll all work out' but that kind of atmosphere isn't exactly fostered when the rest of us are essentially told that we're the cancer of the Myth community and that you're the cure.

Spending so much time talking about your modding past doesn't do much for the video, I have to say. Most of us that are still here would already know about the plugins that you've made, and to people who are new to Myth - that whole segment would be in some other language or something.

Like anyone who's ever put a lot of time into a hobby, it's probably normal that after ten or so years, you start to feel like you should be paid to do it - that you deserve it, because the quality of your work is high. I'm not trying to be negative here but it might be time that you consider folding some of the skills you've gotten from modding Myth into something new. Or I dunno - having another run at a Myth Kickstarter with some different parameters like a smaller goal, or a longer donation period, or whatever.

The hardest part of getting people to hand over their money to a project like this is that we can already get amazing new Myth stuff for free. We've been getting it ever since Myth plugs started coming out. If you're going to compete with a $0 price tag, then you have to be pretty clear about what it is you're offering us. The new unit models look nice, but plenty of nice unit models in the past have been offered for free. The superzoom thing is already coming in 1.8, unless I'm mistaken (and I am frequently). 'A new Myth game' is a hugely promising thing to offer, but is also very vague. What happens if it turns out to be another Myth 3??

I dunno. I mean you guys no ill will, but I really hope that you give it a good long rethink next time.
Okay I got the models but now I'm too dumb to do anything with 'em

"Everything we show in the kickstarter video is content this team has created."

- October 19, on the Kickstarter comment page.
I know I just made a big long post, and I know I'm about a week late on this point, but fucking seriously? That's a complete lie. There are textures, collections, models and colour maps on that video that were created by Bungie for either Myth TFL or Myth II, and you're going to tell people (the people backing your project) that you made EVERYTHING in the video? Not to mention the fact that the entire thing is being run in an engine you don't own and didn't create.

Tip for your next Kickstarter drive: don't outright lie to the people giving you money.
toecutter

Post by toecutter »

vinylrake wrote:toe, there's a difference. there's been plenty of questions asked and various aspects of the project have been discussed and plenty of skepticism expressed at the lack of information provided, but all you are doing is mocking the project team because they aren't going to meet their goal.

to what end? to gloat? because you don't like the individuals? because you think you have some golden truth and are the only one who sees that they aren't going to meet their goal so feel it's your responsibility to illuminate us all with that information conveyed in the most condescending school-yard humiliating and bullying way you can think of?

grow up, or at least shut up if that's all you have to offer.
Well, it was more out of frustration that they ignored everything they were supposed to respond to, it isn't necessary to gloat. It is necessary to try and break through to their sensibilities, as NONE of anyone's concerns or questions were addressed in the groundbreaking video that they hyped almost more than their initial post.
I don't think the truth is really bullying, you imply I am somehow threatening them.
That is absurd. Even for you.
Of course there is a level of sarcasm in suggesting a group chant in support of achieving 1%, how that is bullying someone is another matter.
They may yet hit their goal, Bill Gates or some other uber rich person who empathizes with their awkwardness and wants to help them out of a pitiful sense of kinship could come in and donate the balance at the last second.
I do hope it happens.
If I were rich, I would do it just to flabbergast everyone.

You thought that second video would make me stop and let them off the hook?
I think it is worse for everyone to white knight them now after realizing how painfully deluded the entire bid is and pretend they never felt their intelligence was insulted by the initial smug request for half a million dollars.
Also I am supposed to be the most bitter myther ever, how can I maintain that title without some criticism of things that obviously need it.
As for bullying, if you think I am bullying them by discussing the actual bids as of earlier Friday, you must have had it very easy on the schoolyard.
toe
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

From what I've read on these and the MWC forums, the superzoom feature is NOT going to be a part of 1.8 gameplay, it's only going to be available when watching films - and then not as far out of a zoom as that un-mythlike clip that they featured in the 2nd video 'update'.

Playing the superzoom clip while the voiceover is talking about how they have been able to 'trick' myth into doing things it wasn't designed to do is more than a little disingenuous and misleading since the video's goal seems to be to present the team's bona fides and reassure people that the team has the skills to make a new Myth game, while AFAIK, the ultra zoom that allows them to show those large scale battles was coded by Magma in a private Beta and had nothing to with the team of ORR. It also doesn't really mesh at all with Ooga's claims that they want to keep the gameplay really familiar and make sure everything has the same familiar balance and how they are committed to preserving existing player's micromanagement skills. Hard to see how that's possible if you have an army of 500 units to control. Even people who are proponents of the ultrazoom realize that adding that feature would significantly alter gameplay.

I think it hurts the team's credibility when they leave the impression that they are taking credit for things they didn't actually do.

vinylrake wrote:From what I've read on these and the MWC forums, the superzoom feature is NOT going to be a part of 1.8 gameplay, it's only going to be available when watching films - and then not as far out of a zoom as that un-mythlike clip that they featured in the 2nd video 'update'.
I just skimmed through the first video again and they do actually show gameplay (directing units) at the same time as zooming out further than vanilla Myth allows. I wouldn't cite this as conclusive, as it *could* be faked (I believe in replays you can issue commands but the units don't respond, so if they were dedicated liars they COULD have faked it) but it's just something worth noting.