Grave Tidings release and film contest

Talk about anything here.
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

You wont win. Too much suck. :P
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

I've made it to 34 minutes on legendary with saves and 1/4 speed. But the waves get really intense around that point, and it's just impossibly hard.
Gjallarhorn

Post by Gjallarhorn »

You have a recording?
Tireces

Post by Tireces »

Fury, Tarous Zars, Zoso, Gabba and Wismuth beated "Grave Tidings Special Tourney Edition 1.5" on legenedary - very dramatic battle - well done :D
"As long as a single one of us stands..."
Gjallarhorn

Post by Gjallarhorn »

Tireces wrote:Fury, Tarous Zars, Zoso, Gabba and Wismuth beated "Grave Tidings Special Tourney Edition 1.5" on legenedary - very dramatic battle - well done :D
Where's my movie????!!!??
Tireces

Post by Tireces »

Gjallarhorn wrote:
Tireces wrote:Fury, Tarous Zars, Zoso, Gabba and Wismuth beated "Grave Tidings Special Tourney Edition 1.5" on legenedary - very dramatic battle - well done :D
Where's my movie????!!!??
Tra-ra-ra-ra-ra-ra
First Gave Tidings Special Trouney Edition v1.5 Win on Legendary
"As long as a single one of us stands..."
Gjallarhorn

Post by Gjallarhorn »

Good on ya!
Flick42

Re: Grave Tidings release and film contest

Post by Flick42 »

A-Red wrote:The Onyx Warlords Mapmakers present: Grave Tidings!

Grave Tidings requires Myth II 1.6 to play, due to some unique script that was crashing macs in older versions. All the coop players have the patch to play Mazz, so I suspect it won't be a problem.

As is traditional, there will be a contest for the first team to beat Grave Tidings on Legendary. This may happen quickly; I'm honestly unsure how this compares to the Mazz series in terms of difficulty, because the gameplay styles are quite different--there are fewer and weaker enemies, but the same holds true for the player force, units can be lost more quickly, and the pace is arguably faster at times. For me, part of the intrigue of holding a film submission contest is to see how tough this map actually turns out to be for a larger, highly skilled team. Winning films can be sent to 07adr AT williams DOT edu, or uploaded and the links sent to me in a PM.

Thanks to Doobie for the announcement!

A-Red

EDIT: Almost forgot! Some taster screenshots can be found here. These were provided by Tireces. I believe they were shot on Timid; you'll have to see higher difficulties for yourself :twisted:
After almost 6 years, Grave Tidings is finally beaten on legendary. We won it with 3 of us, took us two mounth to figure out strategy. Make sure you check the film, it is as epic as it can get. Links to dowload:
http://depositfiles.com/files/p4juxab1z
http://www26.zippyshare.com/v/53101046/file.html
Attachments
Try to find Kenny in this mess.
Try to find Kenny in this mess.
12.jpg (212.52 KiB) Viewed 2654 times
DarthRevan555

Post by DarthRevan555 »

Mnet says 11 other people beat grave tidings on leg. :p
Insert text here.
Divine entity of map making.
Undefeated god of 1v1 map making contests that have yet to happen.
Insert massive ego here

Someone tell this guy to stop having so many signatures
Flick42

Post by Flick42 »

DarthRevan555 wrote:Mnet says 11 other people beat grave tidings on leg. :p
Yes, there is an easier way to beat it, even level hints say "The greates award awaits for those who has chicken out", so if you put units at the specific point of map, it counts as win. It can be done in only few minutes and you don't need to fight anyone. I guess A-red realised how hard it was to beat so he put this easter egg in it.
Win from 2010, which includes me in it, was done on Tourney version of plugin, which is way easier, for some reason site counts it as the same plugin (same level name?).
All other win games, done by player 'hamurabieithons' just make me wonder what kind of cheats did he use, stats show real amount of kills and game time, but only several losses, or no casualties at all. He does also have several win games on Mazzarins Demise on legendary, which is also impossible to manage solo. The only explanation that I have for this is that he used cheats.
So, after all, this win may count as the only 'fair' one.
A-Red

Post by A-Red »

Wow, awesome! I'm glad to see that people are still playing this. As a mapmaker, it was a little bit of a shame to see the ways that the enemy AI could be exploited, but it looks like it's still a tough challenge. Love the film--your tactics against the last couple of waves and the boss were great.
Platinum

Post by Platinum »

The AI really can't be exploited, less the first part of the map which is the relatively easy part anyway. They come from all sides, there is no 'hiding' and picking them off one by one. Unless there is some extreme loophole that allows you to leave the hill and hide in a corner and just kill stuff as it comes, that hasn't been figured out yet or brought to the attention of the public.
DarthRevan555

Post by DarthRevan555 »

I wasn't aware there being lots of ghost reinforcements on top of the already scripted ones.

Guess that gave you a huge advantage vs trow and hordes of undead :)

gg though.

I liked the lil glitch in beginning with AI standing still :p
Insert text here.
Divine entity of map making.
Undefeated god of 1v1 map making contests that have yet to happen.
Insert massive ego here

Someone tell this guy to stop having so many signatures
A-Red

Post by A-Red »

Platinum wrote:The AI really can't be exploited, less the first part of the map which is the relatively easy part anyway. They come from all sides, there is no 'hiding' and picking them off one by one. Unless there is some extreme loophole that allows you to leave the hill and hide in a corner and just kill stuff as it comes, that hasn't been figured out yet or brought to the attention of the public.
True, most enemies come at you relentlessly, but they could have probably reused that same glitch they used at the beginning with one or two other early platoon waves. The main thing that changed the difficulty of the map was that they used the opportunity to get all the reinforcements and secret weapons, and to destroy the stash of Ghol projectiles in the far corner of the map. But in this case, I guess it unbroke the map rather than broke it.
Flick42

Post by Flick42 »

A-Red wrote: True, most enemies come at you relentlessly, but they could have probably reused that same glitch they used at the beginning with one or two other early platoon waves. The main thing that changed the difficulty of the map was that they used the opportunity to get all the reinforcements and secret weapons, and to destroy the stash of Ghol projectiles in the far corner of the map. But in this case, I guess it unbroke the map rather than broke it.
We tried it, you cannot 'hide' in the second part of the game, emenies will still get you. Getting bows and reinforcements is possible without stopping the waves, although, it will take some luck to do it, because you simply do not have enough firepower do deal with some of the initial waves. Destroying ghol pus, however, helped alot, after the 1st trow game goes so fast and so intense that you just want to melee down all ghols and not worry about the pus. Not to mention, a couple of 'stealth' ghols are annoying as hell!