Starting a new unit - What apps to use for new unit creation

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
furawen

Post by furawen »

Ok, I'm just starting here and need some mentoring to point me in the right direction.
I am a somewhat tech savy artist and designer. I want to start by creating just a single new myth II unit. I can create the sprite in photoshop but then what? Which myth tools application do I use to create a tagset that can use my own sprite?
skrew

Post by skrew »

well first i would suggest playing around in fear with exsisting units before you embark on creating a whole new unit. but to see whats required go here: http://www.aqpm75.dsl.pipex.com/darktide/darktide/strangeunits.html - this is probably the best tutorial around on creating a very basic unit, however it requires poser and bryce. once you've obtained those programs (which are commercial and not free) you will have to learn how to import things into amber, i dont know of any tutorials for amber. amber is a mac only program and there is no real PC substitute... unless you hack it all like ghost*. so life would be easier for unit creation if you have a mac, if you dont you need someone with a mac to do it for you. other than that its a very long and hard process to model a unit, then having to import it to myth 2's engine. ....hf!

~skrew
King kong died for our sins!
mauglir

Post by mauglir »

Furawen, if you know to create a series of animated sprites, then you have the hardest part of making new units down already.

You'll need a Mac only tool called Amber -- this is a Mac only tool that turns a group of sprites in what's called a Collection Tag for Myth II. Amber's only purpose is to help you create the visual part of the unit. All of the other game stuff (like the physics) are edited with Fear.

As skrew said, open up Fear and look at how the basic Myth units are put together. That tutorial skrew linked to is a pretty good one. You can skip all the Poser stuff because that's just there to help people create their sprites.
Mauglir
furawen

Post by furawen »

Thank you skrew and mauglir, just what I needed. I am on a mac and I have amber and I have access to maya, poser, etc... at school. Now I just need time.