Myth 3 / Marius Net

Talk about anything here.
ElusiveMind

Myth 3 / Marius Net

Post by ElusiveMind »

Hey Everyone!

Long time no talk! :)

Does Myth III work on Mariusnet still? I'm doing a demo of the game here for my work and was going to try and get some multiplayer going.

Thanks;
Michael
mbagnall@elusivemind.com - @ElusiveMind / @FlyingFlip
Developer - Myth III, FlyingFlip Studios
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Re: Myth 3 / Marius Net

Post by Pyro »

It does. After Myth3 is installed and updated grab this file. Extract the "Metaserver" file and place it in your "preferences" folder. If there already is one, let this one overwrite the old. Then load up Myth 3 and use your existing Mnet account username and password to get on. For users without an account, they can make one or use the "guest" account with anything for the password.
ElusiveMind

Post by ElusiveMind »

Perfect! Thanks for the heads up. It's been a while.
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

Hello Michael! Great to see you again!

I have to slightly disagree with Pyro's statement though. Myth 3 does work....if you have a PC. Since OSX 10.7, because M3 is PPC only, it will no longer function.

I don't suppose there's a chance of creating a Universal Binary for it, is there? :-)
ElusiveMind

Post by ElusiveMind »

I know we had a universal binary build of it at some point. I'm doing a demonstration of some of my old hobbies where I work now..

I've been trying to find what little I have left of everything since none of my DVD's from that era read anymore. Not even on the computer that burned them. Hence why I stopped backing up to DVD years ago.

The only thing I *do* have is the old Myth 3 SVN with something labeled Myth III v1.4b1 as the current branch. After 7 years, this isn't ringing any bells tho. The last released build of M3 was compiled on July 1 of 2004. A life time ago. Also pre-dates the Intel iMac if memory serves.

Of course, it won't build in Xcode 4.3 - so there would have to be hammering on it. From what I'm looking at a lot of typecasting stuff has changed in the later versions of GCC. Yay changing standards.

Who knows.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

Actually Myth3 does not even run for some Windows users either. Amadeus was said to be working on a myth 3 update at some point a few years back. But he disappeared sometime last year when supposedly he was going to release the next update.
Jon God

Post by Jon God »

Yeah, last I heard, he was pretty busy, but he did do some work on Myth 3, not sure the extent of it though.

You can still catch him on AIM sometimes. Though I've not seen him in a few weeks...

I'm Jon God, and I approve this message.
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: J0N GOD
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

Well hey, I'd gladly volunteer to help however I can if you'd be willing.
ElusiveMind

Post by ElusiveMind »

I talk to John (Ama) on facebook and just touched base with him today. He's got some family stuff going on this weekend and I'm going to Disney next week with my family - so it may be a week or two before we touch base.

Right now I'm just trying to find a few key pieces to the puzzle for my demonstration.

I can tell you that the game plays horribly in VMWare running 10.6.8. Worked like a champ on my laptop tho... tools were great too. I forgot how much CIK, Ama, Clem, Giant and I put into that game. (not to mention Bloo and DB on the server end).

I did experience the windows issue... ironically it wouldn't boot on my Windows XP VM, but worked great (minus graphics issues) on Windows 7. It may just need a re-compile. But the last I recall the windows build needed some pretty significant hammering due to deprecated and lost SDK's.
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

The only major editing tool I know for M3 was Veng/Ballistic, and unfortunately Ballistic is in a nonworking state as well on the Mac side. Am I missing some?
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

Pyro wrote:Actually Myth3 does not even run for some Windows users either.
This. I can't play it because the mouse doesn't work on my dual monitor setup. I'm guessing it doesn't handle the coordinate translation properly, and it thinks the cursor isn't over the game window. Unplugging my 2nd monitor is the only solution I've found, and that isn't exactly pratical.
ElusiveMind wrote:I can tell you that the game plays horribly in VMWare running 10.6.8.
I did experience the windows issue... ironically it wouldn't boot on my Windows XP VM, but worked great (minus graphics issues) on Windows 7. It may just need a re-compile. But the last I recall the windows build needed some pretty significant hammering due to deprecated and lost SDK's.
It might work better under VirtualBox, which supports 3D acceleration of windows and linux guests.
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

Yeah it's a pretty big mess under windows even with the latest patch. I can get it to run on one of my machines but on the rest it just crashes or hangs outright at the menu. Seems graphics/OpenGL-related, but I'm not sure whether anyone is working on it still at this point.
ElusiveMind

Post by ElusiveMind »

Ballistic/Vengeance is 99% a **LOST CAUSE** on Intel Mac.

The whole mess was written on a framework designed for OS 9 that had to be carbonized by Andrew Meggs to get it to even remotely work in OS X. And it's only carbon at that. Not only would that framework have to be fixed, but then so would Vengeance/Ballistic.

Frankly, it'd be easier to re-do the interface in Xcode or Visual Studio and use the business logic from Veng/Ballistic. That's a major project. As it was, writing the tool on an open source framework that was unsupported from the beginning was a monumental mistake. But then again, so was building Myth 3 based on the .skl system which was an open source but at the same time proprietary system. Only I think 5 people in the world knew how to use it (including Ama who had to reverse engineer it). There's some sarcasm there, but you get my point.

So much of that tool is based on a structure of that framework. I remember many times where bugs in Vengeance were essentially bugs in the framework ... with some exceptions. Just thinking about it now makes me aggravated :)
ElusiveMind

Post by ElusiveMind »

Yeah..... it's a bit overwhelming.

In Project Magma's travels, was anything ever touched on the M3 side? Or was M2 restructured in any way? My repo is based on a corelibrary shared by all three clients. Was that ever streamlined or cleaned up?

I've talked to Paul (CIK) a little, but I haven't gotten down and dirty with any details. First time he and I have spoken via email in a few years.

MRB
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

ElusiveMind wrote: In Project Magma's travels, was anything ever touched on the M3 side? Or was M2 restructured in any way? My repo is based on a corelibrary shared by all three clients. Was that ever streamlined or cleaned up?
Myrd and Mel can speak to that with authority, as they have been there a lot longer than me, but certainly there have been lots of changes to M2. Not sure what you mean by "restructured" but at this point we've basically rewritten the vast majority of the rendering infrastructure in M2 (among other things).

I don't think Magma has done anything on M3. In fact I'm not even sure they have access to the M3 source, but I could be mistaken.