Waterfalls & Jungles

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
fildred13

Waterfalls & Jungles

Post by fildred13 »

Searched the forums, couldn't find much.

I'm making a map that has numerous waterfalls and giant trees and jungle foliage. I know there are TONS of great maps out there that I probably haven't played. I'm looking for suggestions for plugs to check out to see if there are any models I can use, techniques I can learn from, etc.

It's mostly a personal project so I'm not too concerned about having to get permission for the models, but if I get the okay's I might release it as a netmap :)

Thanks in advance!
~fildred13
Gaming Rig: $2000
Apple Cinema Display:$1000
Using for 90% mything: priceless
vinylrake

Re: Waterfalls & Jungles

Post by vinylrake »

Wight Falls is a coop map with water at several different levels - lots of inter-connected pools in a very hilly valley. might be something useful there.
fildred13

Post by fildred13 »

That was very useful, thanks. I thought that was how waterfalls are done, I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a more animated way to do it that was more popular.

As for jungle and big trees, I'm still looking... I know of TSG, which has some pretty HUGE tree models if I recall. I'm still looking for really swampy viney foliage objects though. The swamps in Myth are very... European. I am thinking more amazon-y.
carlinho

Post by carlinho »

this has a small waterfall and the ambience is set up in the caribbean with central american indians

http://carlinho7.tripod.com/id2.html

http://tain.totalcodex.net/items/show/isle-of-storms

Anything there except the palm trees you can use with proper credit given.
For the palm trees I took them from this plug, asking for permission to do so:

http://tain.totalcodex.net/items/show/l ... omb-robber

it's set up in the brazil-ean jungles, so it's definitely south american
http://carlinho7.tripod.com
Home of ANCIENT and CLASSICAL GREECE plugin on the works.
fildred13

Post by fildred13 »

haha thanks carlinho, I actually had been planning on using some of the stuff from isle of storms already, it was one of the few things that had these kind of objects that I was looking for, but thanks for giving me permission, hopefully that brings us one step closer to another Myth Netmap!

I've "made" the colormap - what I did was took ingame overhead images of World of Warcraft's Sholazar Basin and it turns out it makes an AWESOME base for a colormap. I wanted to do it because I saw the 5 "hill" seperated by 4 rivers with height variations, a For Carnage Apply Within-esque central basin, variable depth water, etcetcetc and I thought - This must be a Myth Map. So I am doing a lot of tweaking to the colors and trying to make it work for Myth.

I am running into some problems though with the 240 colors. The indexing of the color just kills the water detailing. I'm doing my best to cut as many colors as possible so that it has more blues and greens to work with.

Anyways, thanks for the help anyone, if anyone thinks of any other good resources, let me know! I'll be starting on the loathing-ing in probably a week or so when I've finished the color, displacement, shadow, and media maps.
carlinho

Post by carlinho »

cool, for indexing, just some tips I learned from clem, is :

1)unsaturate as much as as you can the grass and water, the more saturation you have on your maps in areas that don't need so, the harder is going to be to index

2)add "grain" to certain areas that have lots of contrast, like water or shadows. So when you index the computer doesn't separate even more the colors

3)select with the selecting tool the areas that are harder to index, or that would look worst if the index goes bad, and hit index then, the computer will index that first, and then the rest...
http://carlinho7.tripod.com
Home of ANCIENT and CLASSICAL GREECE plugin on the works.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

You could always detail texture it to add details.
fildred13

Post by fildred13 »

Thanks carlinho, I knew about the selecting part but none of those other tips. That should help alot because right now I am trying to cut colors and it isn't having much of an effect - yet.

And Pyro, you're right I could definitely detail texture it to get back some lost detail, but to be honest I LOVE old school myth looks. Jon God (I believe he is the god of detail texturing?) Did an amazing thing with those detail textures, but after a playthrough of the campaign I turned them off because I wanted my old school myth feel back :) So, my maps tend to go without detail textures for obvious reasons XD
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

You can always toggle them off in game with the Page Up key. I don't really play with dtex either. There aren't that many out there just yet.
fildred13

Post by fildred13 »

I just toggled it in the options menu but yeah, same difference. It was cool to see and it looks pretty great on WW2 maps, but otherwise I love the old pixely 240 colors :)
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

I've got a few fancy looking models to add environment to old growth forest feel that I've made for presently unreleased projects.... I might be willing to share em.
fildred13

Post by fildred13 »

I would appreciate that very much, Graydon! Either for my own personal use or, if you'd be so kind, as a part of a public release with proper crediting :)