"Spiritless Ice"- Teaser

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
vinylrake

Re: "Spiritless Ice"- Teaser

Post by vinylrake »

Do you mean that Loathing can't import really large shadow maps?
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

That or it takes forever. I'm experiencing quite a bit of lag with shadow generation and import/export on a mesh i'm tinkering with currently, and it's "only" 3328x4352.
Defacto

Post by Defacto »

What I ment to say was, There is no way to import/export Mesh shading or Model shading. :::EDIT If i try to generate mesh shading and model shading on super huge maps loathing crashes::: AND When I try to generate a really REALLY large shadowmap loathing allways crashes. I misspoke when I said you cant import large shadow maps, because i have done this allready. What I have done before is made some kinda of faked shadow map in photoshop thats really huge, or whatever size map i am working on and import that into loathing, then it works fine. But then i dont have mesh shading or model shading. If these could be imported then I could make them in photoshop.
Last edited by Defacto on Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

thanks for the clarification.

couldn't you export the map that shows the location of models (I assume that's primarily what you are wanting to fiddle with in PS?) and then create a shadow map in PS? i know it's simpler to talk about than do, but if you know the angle shadows are normally generated at in Loathing and you know the location of the models and their general height it seems like you could make a decent looking shadow map. Same for the terrain if you have a good eye for elevation since you can export that too, but difficulty would soar if there were a lot of elevation changes... and I KNOW it would be MUCH easier if you could at least generate a basic shadow map for mesh and models then export, tweak/polish in PS, then import back into Loathing.
Defacto

Post by Defacto »

Thats pretty much what i have done VR. It would be great if i could import model shading and mesh shading images as well, so i can fake them in photoshop like i do with the shadow maps.
We only have 3 maps that are soo large as to require such work arounds, and if i had know this would be a problem going into making this maps, i maybe would have thought twice about trying. Trying to fill an era with things thats 8192 x 6656 (or some combonation of height and width that fills this same area) is a huge undertaking that requires months or work. Its pretty cool though, its soo large it kinda feels like a persistent world.
Defacto

Post by Defacto »

If there was a way to import and export mesh shading and model shading images, then I have a super tedious but perfect work around that would give me perfect results. I could break up the super giant 8192 x 6656 displacement map into "Tiles" that are all of equal size. Then i could open up each one in loathing and generate mesh shading and model shading on a per map tile or section basis. So if there are 50 tiles total, I could put them all together in photoshop so they all go in their propper places and complie it into the 8192 x 6656 mesh shading and model shading.
The model shading is really less important then the mesh shading, to be able to import or export though. Because with models since the edges are so clearly defined and are few and far between, I could without much effort put the shadows for models on the colormap itself. Bungie did this on the map Homecoming, you can see the arena thingie near the world knott has pillar shadows and it looks like a T or top of the pillars has a long block on top of them. But if you are able to zoom out enough, you can see that the pillars the 3D models themselves are stand alone and they have anothing on top of them. Bungie just painted that shadow in PS on the colormap.

This happened because with the max zoom level Bungie shipped TFL with, before the patch. You were not able to zoom out enough to see there was nothing on top of the pillars. NOOBS! ~8^)
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

Ren, clearly you don't quite understand how a shadow map is set up. It's a layered piece. You can't import export 'basic lighting', ' mesh shading', and 'model shading' seperately..... they're all generated seperately in loathing, but they're 'stacked' in layers and then flattened into what is exported as the Shadow Map. So.... you can totally draw your model shadows in PS onto the shadowmap, and they'll show up as shadows for your buildings. Recommend exporting the terrain map to get the blocked placements of models, however I'm not entirely certain, I think loathing might have a bit of a choke fest importing and exporting other maps as well (terrain, displacement, reflection) on a huge mesh like that, so I duno if that's a helpful tip or not... it's what I'd do for smaller maps though (that I still want custom shadows on, sure I could just generate them if its a smaller map, i know)
Defacto

Post by Defacto »

Gray, i dont know why you felt the need to say that i clearly dont understand it, im asking that the ability be added so loathing CAN import/export basic lighting and model shading seprately. I am aware this isnt what happens currently. I have not seen any indication of basic lighting being included on the shadow maps exported so far, but i also wasnt looking for it. it seems these layers as you called them could be exported/imported seprately as well with code changes.

And as you know, i cant generate them in loathing because it crashes when i try with giant maps. Maybe the best workaround would be to fix the cause of the crashing?
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

Ok fair enough, misunderstood, and I agree this request would be kind of useful actually. Though loathing not crashing or hanging indefinitely is nice too.
Olong2

Post by Olong2 »

This is *one* plug-in I'm seriously looking forward to!
Zaknafein

Post by Zaknafein »

BambooStew22 wrote: PS- any mapmaking groups needin a recruit??? or any experienced Mythers looking to colab on some of the Chapters to come? HIT ME UP
If you want to collab on some projects mayn here is one group you may look into joining brah

http://tain.totalcodex.net/groups/show/54?page=3
God of mapmaking
Undefeated in 1v1 mapmaking competitions
Point

Post by Point »

wheres the LIKE button :)
if one does not learn from the failings of the past they are likely to suffer its return.
GHOST®

Consider me *teased* ;op

Post by GHOST® »

BambooStew22 wrote:(I cannot get my copy of OAK to work for the life of me--- so i am having extreme difficulty making the over head map appear ingame and also the pregame collection...) supper sad :cry: :evil:

the map is huge- elegant- and full of adaptable tactics-- ambush, defense, guerrilla etc (look amongst the debris)

Setting; within the peaks of the Cloudspine- north of the seven gates / stair of grief ancient stone pathways through the mountains are frozen over as a glacier forces its way from the the south west- battle along the shear faces of the ominous ice, or push your forces up the unforgiving goat paths toward the ruined fortifications and waylayed viking vessel, or dominate the rolling hills of the lowland passes, or stand your ground at the shrines to nature left by the Nation of Gower... (territories-assassination-LOMH-Body Count) --- to many steep cliffs and impassable crevasses for game types using "balls"
Greetings Bamboo,

Whatever came of this project ?? I searched the Tain for Spiritless Ice and Bamboo Stew and i found nothing. :o(

I for one find the colors intriguing from the screen shots, i'm real interested in seeing them in game and with DTEX's applied. :o)
"Do you want to be healed now? Or would you prefer to bleed to death so I can try my hand at resurrection?"
£N

Post by £N »

Whatever happened to this? It looked so beautiful.
BambooStew22

Post by BambooStew22 »

My computer melted ... I lost so much... I have recently re established a platform and am resurrecting "one dream" - I will be releasing a multiplayer map pack before Halloween (new unit tags and monster functionality) super twerk.

Unfortunately I have lost all original art assets and will be recreating everything from scratch. Rest assure I will give them a proper tribute.