OS X: Myth II installed from Linux CD - cutscenes don't load

A forum for solving problems that might be encountered during installation, updating, or in game.
necro2607

OS X: Myth II installed from Linux CD - cutscenes don't load

Post by necro2607 »

Hi all,

Installed the game for OS X using the Myth II Linux CD. To my total surprise, it works 99% perfectly, except that the cutscenes don't play.

I noticed in the log file that the game is looking for the cutscenes as .mov files, whereas the cutscene files from the Myth II Linux CD are .mpg files.

I'll try just renaming the movie files to .mov, but I figured I'd mention this issue since I haven't seen it mentioned elsewhere.
twitter: amatecha
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Re: OS X: Myth II installed from Linux CD - cutscenes don't

Post by Pyro »

The Windows/Mac cutscenes were originally Smacker files. In one of the updates the option to use QuickTime MOV files was added to Windows and Mac OSX (but not Classic). One of the reasons for the MOV option was that the Mac OSX was unable to use the Smacker files.

You can download the M2 cutscenes and the TFL cutscenes at the Tain.

These MOV files are probably at a better quality than the MPG right? I would imagine they are but I have never seen those myself.
necro2607

Post by necro2607 »

Ah nice! I'll download those and compare with the .mpg files from the Myth II Linux CD. I'm guessing those high-res .movs will indeed be higher quality.

I was just thinking it might make sense to add an additional check in the Myth apps, to check for the cutscenes in all three formats, perhaps? Probably an easy feature addon.
necro2607

Post by necro2607 »

Wow, yeah, the cutscenes on the Linux CD are 320x128 resolution... Pretty brutal. I tried renaming the prologue.mpg to prologue.mov but it doesn't play. Although "Replay Intro" is no longer greyed out in the Main menu, clicking it has no effect (invariably because it's not a QuickTime movie).

Anyway, grabbing the high-res cutscenes now ;)