enable uPnP

Talk about anything here.
Isolder

Re: enable uPnP

Post by Isolder »

Even though it's the only machine it would be helpful to set it up with a static ip address, making sure that the ip is outside of the address pool that DHCP assigns.

You don't have Little Snitch or some other software based FW installed do you?
Isolder

Post by Isolder »

Also, on your Westell modem in the connection settings where your account profile is... Are you using PPPoE? (with a username and password provided)

Is this what your menu interface looks like?

If so, under My Network > Broadband Connection > where it shows the Connection name with PPP Status UP.. if you hit the Edit button that's shown on the right, what does it say your profile is? If it's not the same menu, there still should be somewhere where you have a "My Connection" that specifies your account info and has a Profile selected. That's the info I'm looking for.. (not your user/pass, but the profile).
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

thanks for the help but i am giving up. i hosed my settings somehow (UNmyth related) and now i can't get my mac to connect to the internet even after 3 f r i gging hours on the phone with different verizon dSL and Mac support staff. I WAS able to play myth and ping sites, it was just the browser that wouldn't connect, now it's everything.

so i quit. no more internet. it sucks anyways, the internet is way overrated and a huge time suck.

i am typing this from my work windows PC but if I have to use this PC to do all my internet browsings and mything i'd rather just be forced to watch a 72-hour TwiLight marathon. i.e. aint gonna happen.

adios. it's been real.

(i'll be back eventually but right now i have to walk away or throw computers out the (closed) window.)
Isolder

Post by Isolder »

Hey vinyl,

I understand. Did you do a backup of the settings at all before doing stuff?
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

it's a moot point, in frustration i reset my modem. which broke everything. including my ability to access it at all.

it's ok, the internet is really mostly pictures of kittens and annoying high school girls with no singing ability doing covers of pop songs. i won't miss it.

i was hoping to finish up the new and improved Myth Graveyard sometime soon, but it's not like it was a cure for cancer or anything. i am sure everyone can live without it.
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

If it's Verizon's service and modem, it's their responsibility to fix it. Call them and tell them that someone NEEDS to come over there, since you are a paying customer.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

heh. the small amount i pay i am suprised they even take my phone calls. (i am still on copper DSL not the fiber-optic FIOS)

but it's moot again. after the sturm and drang of yesterday i sat down and poked needles into my modem in various spots and eventually it started working properly.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Isolder wrote:Also, on your Westell modem in the connection settings where your account profile is... Are you using PPPoE? (with a username and password provided)
yes.
Isolder wrote:Is this what your menu interface looks like?

close enough that i can get to what you want
Isolder wrote:If so, under My Network > Broadband Connection > where it shows the Connection name with PPP Status UP.. if you hit the Edit button that's shown on the right, what does it say your profile is? If it's not the same menu, there still should be somewhere where you have a "My Connection" that specifies your account info and has a Profile selected. That's the info I'm looking for.. (not your user/pass, but the profile).
the only info on the broadband connections screen other than username/password and PPP: login without password are:

connection name: Auto Registration
NAT Profile: Default
Connection Type: Always On
Time Out: greyed out
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

update: looks like i can host!

only thing i know is different is that i went in and explicitly disabled 'Static NAT Device' even though it didn't appear to be activated/enabled.

THANKS so much for the suggestions and questions -> they got me poking around in the right places and got me to try things i wouldn't have even thought to try. Never would have gotten it going without the help!