enable uPnP

Talk about anything here.
vinylrake

Re: enable uPnP

Post by vinylrake »

punkUser wrote:Vinyl some quick googling indicates that your modem may be acting like a router as well which would put you behind a double-NAT (ugly). Is it possible to switch it to a "bridging" (non-NAT) mode at all?
nothing with that terminology of course. i see when i go into the static NAT configuration panel it says Static NAT and DMZ are mutually exclusive. i've tried just about every option i could imagine, but of course i could have done them in the wrong combination.

here are the answers to isolder's questions: (IP# masked)

Verizon DSL, westel 6100 modem (i am happy to skip the netgear hub and go from mac directly to modem if it's easier)

192.168.1.1 (modem)
currently bypassing router

Code: Select all

vinylrake$ ifconfig -a
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
	inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128 
	inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1 
	inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000 
gif0: flags=8010<POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST> mtu 1280
stf0: flags=0<> mtu 1280
en0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
	ether 00:25:4b:9f:e9:06 
	inet6 fe80::225:4bff:fe9f:e906%en0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x4 
	inet xx.xxx.xxx.xx netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast xx.xxx.xxx.255
	media: autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex>)
en1: flags=8823<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
	ether 00:25:00:f6:3b:25 
	media: autoselect (<unknown type>)
fw0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 4078
	lladdr 00:25:4b:ff:fe:9f:e9:06 
	media: autoselect <full-duplex>
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

If you bypass your router does your modem have port forwarding settings on it?
Isolder

Post by Isolder »

vinyl,

I *wanted* the ip address, specifically. :D But, we can move past it..

Before you said it was a router after your modem, but in your last post you said it was a netgear hub. Which is it, router or hub? Since you said you can bypass that part, I'll ignore that for now..

Before making any changes to your modem, go to the Maintenance menu and hit the Back Up button. This way any changes made can be reset if something goes really wrong.. What firmware is your modem? The menus are a bit different based on the firmware.

If the menu is like the stuff in this: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/7074 can you try the steps starting at Step 8 for manual ports, setting port 3453 tcp to the ip of your computer?
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

punk,

sorry for my inaccurate terminology i don;t really know the difference between a hub and a router. as far as i know they both have lots of ethernet cables sticking out the back and act kind of like a multi-outlet extension cord for a single ISP connection.

looking at the labels, it appears i have a westel DSL modem and a netgear wireless firewall router WGT624 (which I have currently taken out of the loop to make things simpler).

----

isolder: which IP were you looking for - my external to the world IP#? or the internal local network IP#?

i went through the instructions (similar to the ones I've followed religiously on port forward.com and other sites) and after 3 attempts guessing which IPno I needed to add to the port forwarding (failing because the IP# wasn;'t in the local subnet mask) I got the right one (the one that was similar to the IP of the modem. doh!) was able to save it, but the mariusnet host checker page still says something is wrong.
Isolder

Post by Isolder »

Did you host the game before running the host checker? Many people have mistakingly tried the host checker and seen it fail because they hadn't hosted their game before running it.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

multiplayer game was hosted on mnet.
Isolder

Post by Isolder »

Can you post a screenshot of your modem's port forward page?
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

http://d.pr/vJV7

http://d.pr/XAgH

(i;ve tried it with and without UDP (I know I only need TCP/IP but when nothing else works you try everything, right?)
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

Should be the same port for both TCP and UDP I think... although I'm not totally sure if Myth uses UDP at all. I assuming the *.46 IP address is your machine? Also this is on the modem and you're directly plugging into that now right (no netgear router)?
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

as i mentioned the UDP was just the last thing i tried. i am told it's unnecessary and i was just trying every possible combo.

the .46 is my computer

and the connection i was using when i took those screenshots was Mac-> Modem -> mandatory-verizon-DSL-splitter-noise-reducer-thingy->Verizon-phone-jack-in-the-wall
Isolder

Post by Isolder »

More questions vinyl, what's your firmware version on your Westell? What is the firewall security level on the Westell?

Is Static Nat disabled?
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

info sent via pm
Isolder

Post by Isolder »

Vinyl:

Is your Mac OS X Firewall On or Off?
Systems Prefs > Security and Privacy > Firewall Tab

Is your IP on your Mac static or obtained through DHCP?
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

gdi firewall was ON. haven't checked it in months, but i would have sworn i left it off after the previous round of trying to get hosting to work. turned it off but can't test it right now because family members are using wireless so i had to put router back in the mix. i'll take it out of the loop and check it tomorrow when i have the network to myself.

IP# is by DHCP, but my comp is the only comp always connected/on on the network so even though it's rebooted a few times in the past few months, it's had the same internal network IP continuously for months.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

same results, even with no router and mac firewall=OFF