Join host prob

A forum for solving problems that might be encountered during installation, updating, or in game.
Kurt Ramone

Join host prob

Post by Kurt Ramone »

Hi guys need some help.

I have 2 computers sharing the same internet connection and want to play with then (Marius), but my brother can't join my host. He can join to others host but not mine.

I can join and host for other players. I have tested and it works.

Any suggestions?
juliocpaes

Re: Join host prob

Post by juliocpaes »

Kurt Ramone wrote:Hi guys need some help.

I have 2 computers sharing the same internet connection and want to play with then (Marius), but my brother can't join my host. He can join to others host but not mine.

I can join and host for other players. I have tested and it works.

Any suggestions?
fala aíeeee Kurt, é o Julio, vc está bom cara ?!?!
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

i haven;'t tried this in years so things might have changed, but when we used to play with more than one person sharing an internet connection, the only way both people sharing the connection could be in the same game was to have one of the people sharing the connection start up a TCP/IP game, then the person sharing and other people could join the game.

i think there was some issue where if you had more than one computer using the same 'external' IP#, the game server (playmyth back then, now marius) had no way of identifying which computer was which so it wouldn't let two people be in the same game from the same IP#.

again it might have changed or i might be remembering wrong. this was over 6 year years ago.
Kurt Ramone

Post by Kurt Ramone »

They have the same external IP.

I tried what you guys said:

poweruser.txt
[Net.Hosting]
PortNumber=3454

But it didn't worked. Any idea?
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

I once heard someone say that if you set up the network so that one computer is the gateway to the internet for the other computer or something like that, it will work.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

i am pretty sure you aren't going to be able to play in the same server game if one of you is hosting and you both have the same external IP. the only way a gameserver has of identifying your computer is your IP address so if you host a game then when your brother tries to 'join' it's going to look like he's trying to join his own game. how is the server or the hosts computer going to know what packets of network data where? to the host it looks like you are both on the same computer.

at least that's how i *think* it works, i am not a network guy, but that's how my tech savvy server-farm in the attic brother-in-law explained it to me back when we were trying to figure out how to play with 5 people and 3 internet connections. TCP/IP was the only way we could all be in the same game.
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Kurt Ramone wrote:They have the same external IP.

I tried what you guys said:

poweruser.txt
[Net.Hosting]
PortNumber=3454

But it didn't worked. Any idea?
Try a different number?
Kurt Ramone

Post by Kurt Ramone »

Tried with 63123.

Me 192.168.1.2:3453
My bro 192.168.1.3:63123

Didn't worked.
Last edited by Kurt Ramone on Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

I still think the option I suggested might be the only solution. I have not tried this as I don't usually need more than one computer in my network to connect to a Myth game.

When setting up a network (at least for XP) there are 3 options.

-This computer connects directly to the Internet. The other computers on my network connect to the Internet through this computer. [Example]

-This computer connects to the Internet through a residential gateway or through another computer on my network. [Example]

-Other.

I have my computer setup as #2, but to get two computers to play on Mnet together I think one has to be setup as #1 and the other as #2.
Kurt Ramone

Post by Kurt Ramone »

I'll try it Pyro. We have Win 7 (me) + Win XP (old PC). Win 7 is the main computer.
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

And you forwarded *both* of the associated ports (and reset your router) properly, etc? Both people can otherwise host fine on Mnet? That's bizarre, since this definitely works fine for me.

What kind of router do you have? Are you behind any other sort of firewall/NAT or do you connect right to an ISP from your router?
Kurt Ramone

Post by Kurt Ramone »

Still the same.

It's D-Link modem 2640B.

I have added these IPS/Ports:
192.168.1.2:3453 (TCP/UDP)
192.168.1.3:63123 (TCP/UDP)

They always have the same IP by MAC adress.