The 16 Player Limit?

Talk about anything here.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Re: The 16 Player Limit?

Post by Pyro »

oogaBooga wrote:Speak for yourself. Ive seen plenty of signs.
I can't imagine what signs those might be, but the ones I've seen over the years still support the idea that they haven't lost interest just yet.
oogaBooga wrote:
Pyro wrote:What is more likely to happen is that the final update will be the one released before the magma devs lose complete interest in coding another.
...which is what I was saying.
No, that is not the same. You say 1.8 will be final. I say the final won't be known until no new update is made. Meaning, if 1.8 were to be the final update, magma won't even know it until months or years after its released when they figure they don't want to work on another.
oogaBooga wrote:
Pyro wrote:The changes proposed don't even require losing compatibility mode.
So? I'm not sure where you're going with this. Kind of non-sequitur to what I said.
Because you said: "Starting fresh for 1.8 would be the best solution, considering the changes proposed. " Why would starting fresh be the best solution? That implies there is an issue with compatibility and some proposed new changes. Which is why I said losing compatibility mode is not required.
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

There really does need to be more 16 unit plugins made.
Okay I got the models but now I'm too dumb to do anything with 'em
oogaBooga

Post by oogaBooga »

William Wallet wrote:There really does need to be more 16 unit plugins made.

16 "unit"?
ozone

Post by ozone »

:roll:
do it.
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

Sorry for not elaborating, but I mean to say that 16 units on a co-op map would result in each player (assuming you got 16 people to show up to the game) getting a unit of their own. Frankly, I'd kind of enjoy only having one guy to worry about.
Okay I got the models but now I'm too dumb to do anything with 'em
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

You should play DotA/HoN/LoL which have a far more optimized system for the "one-hero" style game. Although Deadfall is one mod that typically gives you one guy.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

i don;t know what those acronyms mean, but one style of WWII maps (recon?) give you one unit for each level of difficulty.
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

Defense of the Ancients (Warcraft 3 Mod)
Heroes of Newerth (DotA clone)
League of Legends (Free-to-play game in the same style)

And Valve will be releasing DotA 2 soonish, which may well be free-to-play as well.
oogaBooga

Post by oogaBooga »

rolling my eyes at pyro and dota equally
Zeph

Post by Zeph »

try my Heroes of Haxors 3 ! There are at least 16 kinds of hero units and each player gets one!
Isolder

Post by Isolder »

Oh no punk don't even say free to play Dota 2! That'd mean micro transactions and that would ruin my enjoyment of the game undoubtedly! nooooo
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

At this point it would be better on my part not to reply, but I thought it would be nice to use the following quote for a bit of irony/fun. This is not for the sake of making ooga reply back, but I'm sure others would agree it just seems to fit in this case.
So you're going to say something snarky like ::rolls eyes:: - but you can't be bothered to explain why because that would be beneath you. Right.
oogaBooga

Post by oogaBooga »

Why bother explaining when the reason is obvious? You're headache-inducingly pedantic.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Hmm well I stated you didn't have to reply. I did wonder if you would get the quote I used. It was something you once told someone who did as you did, the rolling of the eyes. Which is why I thought it was ironic.

But I didn't mean to get you all worked up. Just that I don't see where you get these signs you speak of. Even one of the devs was telling me "what is that all about?" So I guess they don't see it either. You don't want to get into it? Fine. Was it really that wrong of me or anyone to ask? I hope not. Maybe you prefer I do as the rest in here do and ignore such comments. If that is what you wanted, I wasn't aware.
Gleep

Post by Gleep »

oogaBooga wrote:For a demonstration we've already used scenery units mixed in with real ones to flesh out the army, and it's far more amazing and breathtaking than you could ever imagine. You havent lived until you've strafe-run an army of thousands with a dwarven balloon, dropping satchels and rhi barrels and cluster bombs on hapless scenery and non-scenery victims. We even have a spot on the demonstration map where the camera follows the terrain far past the maximum zoom out distance, so you can see what myth would look like with a taller camera limit and a kajillion units.
Are there any videos of this I could see?