1.7.2 keyboard probs

A forum for solving problems that might be encountered during installation, updating, or in game.
Cave

1.7.2 keyboard probs

Post by Cave »

I have a non-us keyboard. When I check 'Sys key layout' I get the 'right' azerty, but all my signs like ?,.; etc are wrong. When I don't check 'Sys key layout' everything is wrong (qwerty).

I remapped my camera controls so they work when I have 'Sys key layout' checked, since this option is the least worse of the two.

Now the problem : the controls change DURING the game (or while I'm on the loading screen). Eg. I have sys key layout checked and remapped my keys accordingly. Then after a couple of games I suddenly find myself in the sys key layout unchecked situation, rendering the current game unplayable because all my camera controls are screwed.

I didn't accidentally press some magic windows keybind that changes my keyboard layout because when I alt tab out and write something in Notepad, everything is just normal.

Myth 1.7.2, Windows7, Keyboard layout french (belgian).

Any ideas?
Melekor
Site Admin

Re: 1.7.2 keyboard probs

Post by Melekor »

Once it happens, what is the duration of the effect?

Is it fixed by going into prefs to check/uncheck the box again (without restarting myth)?

Is it fixed by restarting myth (without doing anything in prefs)?

Would you be willing to try a special build of 1.7.2 with extra log messages that record when the layout is changed?
Miska

Post by Miska »

I have a guite similar problem. I'm using a Hungarian keyboard and the common characters work well. I've got the "Sys Key Layout" option checked (probably automatically), but I think it doesn't help me when I try to type for example during a multiplayer game. The normal characters are still working well, but characters like ?,!): etc. are working (I guess) as if I had an English keyboard. Not to mention hungarian characters like á, é, ű, ö etc. To these keys characters like ' appear.
It's not a big problem, I can play well with it, but it'd be nice if this'd be corrected sometimes in the future (in 1.8.0 for example).
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

Hi Miska, welcome to the forum :)

What you describe is actually the expected behavior. I agree it's imperfect, but Myth is just not designed to support input in arbitrary languages. The code uses 8-bit C strings pervasively and converting it all to use unicode would be a huge task.

Are you also experiencing the problem that Cave described - where keyboard behavior switches mid-game? That is definitely a bug that should be corrected.