1.7.2 Suggestions

Talk about anything here.
BIG KROK V8 SS

1.7.2 Suggestions

Post by BIG KROK V8 SS »

One thing I really noticed about the 1.7.1 patch that interfered with my old tendencies is the resizing of the overhead map. I use shift key when i want to select multiple groups of units across map, but not necessarily a set I've associated with a preset. Is it possible to change the button for resizing the overhead map? When I shift click and select units, I'd like to be able to click on map, go to that area of the map, and select the units I want. However, now it just acts like I want to resize the map, and renders the function completely useless. I'd really appreciate it if there was an option to change with button did this, or if you could just make another button standard for it, (a less important button).

Thanks. Oh and the bug that you guys fixed with control clicking ground with dwarfs, and then it won't drop satchel... I can't remember if it was always like that or not, but it does the same thing with warlock. I'd imagine it would do the same for other units that are simliar (warlock of frost, disciple). Just a heads up if you plan to write scripts to fix all of those.
BIG KROK V8 SS

Re: 1.7.2 Suggestions

Post by BIG KROK V8 SS »

Oh and when you are in a game, and host changes to a plugin you don't have, your name still shows in the game until you hit okay to leave or host boots you. Anyway that that person can still communicate with host to tell them they don't have that plugin? I mean this is what we're all used to after all these years, but it certainly would help in tournament games when trying to get games organized and help everyone get the right maps, etc.
BIG KROK V8 SS

Post by BIG KROK V8 SS »

Crap sorry for triple posting, but another problem came up. The only way I can play anything Green Berets is if I add this old Green Berets 1.3 patch the game itself came with back when I bought it. I can keep all the Green Berets stuff in the plugins folder, but I have to take this plugin in and out, depending on whether or not I'm playing online. With the patch in, all games will show as red in multiplayer. I really don't know anyone else who has Green Berets so I don't know if they have this problem or not. Thanks.
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

Something I noticed (shortly after realising that someone had introduced 64x game speed) is that being at 64x when the game finishes makes the next pregame narration skip automatically. Not a huge deal at all, but I was wondering if that was deliberate.
Okay I got the models but now I'm too dumb to do anything with 'em
BIG KROK V8 SS

Post by BIG KROK V8 SS »

Ok one thing i hate is the resized overhead map. Please put it back to its default size. i am not about to start changing my map size at the start of every game. i have finely tooled precision muscle memory that i'm not about to try to relearn anytime soon.
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback. Let me respond to some of the points individually.
BIG KROK V8 SS wrote:I use shift key when i want to select multiple groups of units across map, but not necessarily a set I've associated with a preset. Is it possible to change the button for resizing the overhead map?
Can you simply release shift before clicking the overhead, then press it again before selecting additional units? It's been the shift key for over a year at this point so if we were to change it to something else we would be likely to get complaints from others. And making it user selectable is complicated. However, we'll think about it.
BIG KROK V8 SS wrote:the bug that you guys fixed with control clicking ground with dwarfs, and then it won't drop satchel... I can't remember if it was always like that or not, but it does the same thing with warlock.
The fix is general and should work for all units and special abilities.
BIG KROK V8 SS wrote:Oh and when you are in a game, and host changes to a plugin you don't have, your name still shows in the game until you hit okay to leave or host boots you. Anyway that that person can still communicate with host to tell them they don't have that plugin? I mean this is what we're all used to after all these years, but it certainly would help in tournament games when trying to get games organized and help everyone get the right maps, etc.
That's a good idea. We aren't adding any new features to 1.7.2 at this point, but we'll certainly consider it for the next version.
BIG KROK V8 SS wrote:The only way I can play anything Green Berets is if I add this old Green Berets 1.3 patch the game itself came with back when I bought it. I can keep all the Green Berets stuff in the plugins folder, but I have to take this plugin in and out, depending on whether or not I'm playing online. With the patch in, all games will show as red in multiplayer. I really don't know anyone else who has Green Berets so I don't know if they have this problem or not. Thanks.
That's the nature of the old green berets patch, nothing we can do about it. I think there is an updated green berets out there which doesn't have this problem - try asking around. Ozone or Jon God are two people you could ask.
William Wallet wrote:Something I noticed (shortly after realising that someone had introduced 64x game speed) is that being at 64x when the game finishes makes the next pregame narration skip automatically. Not a huge deal at all, but I was wondering if that was deliberate.
How can I reproduce this? I tried loading willow, going to 64x and hitting ctrl+ for auto win - the next pregame narration played as usual.
BIG KROK V8 SS wrote:Ok one thing i hate is the resized overhead map. Please put it back to its default size. i am not about to start changing my map size at the start of every game. i have finely tooled precision muscle memory that i'm not about to try to relearn anytime soon.
That's funny, I have the opposite experience - now that it's bigger, I don't have to change my map size at the start of every game. If we get a lot of complaints we might consider undoing this but I suspect it's helpful for many. In the next version we plan to make it remember what size you set it to, that way everyone will be happy.
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

Melekor wrote: That's funny, I have the opposite experience - now that it's bigger, I don't have to change my map size at the start of every game. If we get a lot of complaints we might consider undoing this but I suspect it's helpful for many. In the next version we plan to make it remember what size you set it to, that way everyone will be happy.
Yeah I like the bigger one too - it's now closer to the "intended size" that it ran when Myth was released and ran in lower resolutions (i.e. you can actually see it again :)). At 1920x1200 it was just way too small by default.

That said I can see how people would get used to various sizes. Having the game "remember" the size seems ideal.
BIG KROK V8 SS

Post by BIG KROK V8 SS »

how do u guys get such a high resolution option? its not even offered in my prefs. im at like 1280 x 800
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

Highest resolution supported in myth is related to the highest resolution your monitor supports. Some people have big ass monitors these days.
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

Just checked the code and I see the calculation is based on width alone, so it won't work consistently across different aspect ratios. For the final I will change it to take the height into account as well, so widescreens will get the correct scale. Krok your OH @ 1280x800 will be scaled up by 4.1% instead of 25%.
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

I think width is alone is correct. If your monitor is really wide, then you have enough horizontal space so that if the right edge is taken up by the OH, then you still see a lot of the game just fine...
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

Huh interesting. I would have thought basing it on height alone (or both) would make more sense. Typically when you go to widescreen you want to "add width" rather than "subtract height", so in the same vein you specify FOV_y and compute FOV_x via aspect ratio. Thus I would have assumed basing the overhead size of y and computing x would make more sense, but it could be argued either way I guess.
BIG KROK V8 SS

Post by BIG KROK V8 SS »

Another TSG bug that I had a problem with before too. Ending of "Four Body Problem." Once you complete the level, when the changes are supposed to take place, it just goes on indefinitely. You can see the unit's health go down, but regenerates back up to full green instead of continuing to go down, so the ending sequence never ends. Perhaps something with fast forwarding throws it off? I've seen the same with other maps, including Bushido.

Here's a couple screenshots in sequence of about 1 second.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Jon God

Post by Jon God »

That is a scripting issue, It happened with 1.3 as well.
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: J0N GOD
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

"How can I reproduce this? I tried loading willow, going to 64x and hitting ctrl+ for auto win - the next pregame narration played as usual."

Oh! I may have been playing a 3rd party plugin at the time, although I'm not sure why that would be different. I'll take a video if it happens again, just to prove I'm not entirely insane.
Okay I got the models but now I'm too dumb to do anything with 'em