Project Magma on iPad

Talk about anything here.
GKokoris

Re: Project Magma on iPad

Post by GKokoris »

Sorry I've been scarce, guys. Lots of projects keeping me busy. :\

Quick update: I've found someone in biz dev, but they're now trying to find the particular person who would have authority on this. Ah, bureaucracy... :roll: I'll hit you guys up when I find the guy!
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

Thanks for the update, and pop on the hotline when you have some time!
Lord Thanos

Post by Lord Thanos »

An I-Pad port is an exciting prospect. If successful, this would assuredly revitalize the license and bring Myth back into the spotlight (where it deserves to be).

All things considered, Take 2 should be eager to recoup some value from the license they purchased and have essentially sat on since publishing Myth 3. I suppose the Wolf Age was a failure to the extent that Myth was abandoned?

Regardless of the details, I would like to wish you the best of luck GKokoris. Your efforts may well herald the return of the Myth Age :D
Thanos A.K.A "Ravanosh"
Site Admin

Post by Death's Avatar »

Lord Thanos wrote:AYour efforts may well herald the return of the Myth Age :D
Myth: The Myth Age
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

I think you mean "Myth 5: The Myth Age"
GKokoris

Post by GKokoris »

Thanks for the confidence, gents. :D Getting in touch with the right person has been slow going, as everyone involved is extremely busy and is only able to help me out in their spare time, plus it's not exactly normal publisher protocol so they can't really afford to be gung-ho about it. Trying to keep from accidentally sabotaging this thing by being overzealous. But things look promising! I'll jump on uDogs for a few hours today.
Joeseph Stiglitz

Post by Joeseph Stiglitz »

Pardon the interruption, but I came across this thread quite by accident (just randomly decided to see what the Myth community was up to). I used to play Myth: TFL and Myth II religiously back in high school and college.

To this day I've never found another game or series that offers the same kind of tactical gameplay dynamics.

The prospect of this game coming to a platform like the iPad (complete with a multi-touch UI) is extremely exciting. At the moment it seems to be hung up in some kind of concern over IP rights.

This is the part that's confusing to me, considering the comment about some windowing layer stuff being moved to SDL for a possible Linux port. A port to the iPad isn't necessarily new IP, and the only dependency is that a retail copy of the game be owned by the end-user (where the data files come from), which would make the situation in making an iPad port essentially the same as making a Linux port, no?

This would relegate the iPad version to being only for jail-broken iPads in the beginning, because no formal iPad app submitted to the store is going to be able to be bundled with the necessary data files to run the game. However, the core iPad application could still be developed, made available for jail-broken devices, include a process for bundling the end-user's legally owned game data, and then the process of refining and updating could begin. No?

At that point you'd have a proof-of-concept to take to the publisher and say, "Here's what we wanted to do, here's what we did, and here's the IP ownership and app deployment issues that stand in the way of making this a commercial product for sale on the App Store." They'd be leaving potentially huge sums of money on the table if they didn't jump on it with most of the work having already been done.

Anyway, I just wanted to jump in and question just how much of a barrier the IP issue really is to getting Myth onto the iPad, so long as it's not a commercial product and isn't bundled with the commercial game data.

Cheers!
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

The ipad port differs from the linux port in the magnitude of the work to be done, perhaps by 10:1. That much work can't be done on faith, there has to be some kind of up front agreement.

Also, under the current rights situation, anything we release is owned by T2, if we release myth for jailbroken ipads, they could turn around and sell that without even asking us. I suppose we could make a basic hack, crippled version as a demo, perhaps something to think about.
capital

Post by capital »

http://itunes.apple.com/us/genre/mobile ... d6014?mt=8

Ah too late, Myst is already on the pad...

Although....
mythchatforthepad.gif
mythchatforthepad.gif (98.57 KiB) Viewed 2507 times
oogaBooga

Post by oogaBooga »

getting old already cap
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

Some interesting random forum discussion I discovered about Myth & the iPad
http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic. ... 6&start=40
GKokoris

Post by GKokoris »

Bad news from the front lines, gentlemen. My contact at Take 2 says that reaching biz dev over there is like talking into a vacuum. Very few responses, and apparently there's some sort of legal entanglement that makes them not want to discuss Myth at all (I mentioned only that I wanted to speak about the franchise; no tipping of the hand, as it were). She says she's doing her best, and I'll definitely keep my ear to the ground in case she gets an answer, but right now things don't look so hot.

Sorry for the setback, all. I'll let you know if anything comes up. :(
Khadrelt

Post by Khadrelt »

Just what is it that makes Take 2 so leery about even admitting Myth exists?
The cake is a lie.
capital

Post by capital »

Dear Mister Godzfire.

Plz accept this 10 dollar coupon to purchase any apparel at the Myst shop.

Sorry for the inconvenience and kind regards,

cap

P.S Although, I guess the last part was missed about making a chat client for the ipad so people can connect to mariusnet on their ipad--it could be used as marketing people towards the mariusnet server and getting people interested in playing.
COUPONs.jpg
COUPONs.jpg (113.07 KiB) Viewed 2394 times
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

you seriously think that the chat on the mariusnet server is going to get anyone interested in playing Myth?

<boggle>

ps. in case you didn't get the memo: Myst/Myth jokes are so 20th century.